Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mioliere
    • By mioliere 6th Jun 10, 12:02 PM
    • 6,827Posts
    • 71,655Thanks
    mioliere
    Knit Your Square to Give Your Share - PART 4
    • 6th Jun 10, 12:02 PM
    Knit Your Square to Give Your Share - PART 4 6th Jun 10 at 12:02 PM
    Hi everyone

Penelope Penguin has been in touch this morning and suggested that it's time for Part 4 because part 3 has grown and grown, thanks to you all for your hard work! She will add links to this thread so that we can carry on seamlessly.

It's wonderful to think that we are now at the start of part 4! It's thanks to you all that this little idea, started just over two years ago, has become such a success!

FOR ALL NEWBIES AND LURKERS - I have tried to post a link to a post but, for some reason, it hasn't worked. Until I have sorted it out, please look for post number 1885, which you will find on page 95 of this thread - it will tell you all about what we do! Do please join us!

For all those who may have been lurking, please, please feel free to join us! You will receive the warmest of welcomes and I just know you will enjoy it here!

KathyXX

Official MoneySavingExpert insert: 'Knit Your Square to Give Your Share' is a wonderful group that knits and crochets for charitable causes, both in the UK and overseas. They provide ideas, links to stockists, tutorials and other useful websites, encouragement to one another and, most importantly, handmade items that are distributed among deserving causes. For more information please see this post. Thanks to mioliere for starting Part 4 of what is, undoubtedly, a fantastic group.

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Debs; 20-03-2012 at 6:40 PM.
    KNIT YOUR SQUARE TOTALS:

Squares: 11, Animal blankets: 2
Page 5
  • f1widow
    Evening - well after a few hours spent with MIL & FIL - its then been a sport filled rest of the day - F1 qualifying and the England game - arguments are now in progress as DH has just said DS can stay up longer to continue watching match - grrrrrrrr - I thought I was getting telly back tee hee

Anyway hope you have all had a great day

Mrs Twins
    - what lovely challenges Im certainly hoping to help you out with some of those (didnt contribute to sunny challenge - big sorry - my head could not get round to that one) xxx

dpixie - I love those cardi's but am thinking they are crochet - Im not a "hooker" (no sniggering ladies......) which is such a shame because they are a lovely design - I love the wool you have used - well done xxxx

Jean - only two pairs of knickers and no knitting - does she need an "aid" parcel oh dear this will never do xxx

Hope all the Mums are doing ok - big hugs to all the Mums and daughters xx and love and hugs to all MIA or poorlies (oh and hugs to all you others of course ....) xxx
    Debt Diary: Im not going to be an Ostrich anymore -LBM - 16/1/12 /
  • sock-knitter
    evening ladies, had a much better day today. had some support and advice over what happened yesterday, and more phone calls to make monday. all seems calm now
    finished sewing up a childs jumper, and did the neckband, which has been waiting ages in my knitting bag, and sewn seems on the other one. trying to complete some of the wips
    this weeks update
    2 kids jumpers
    i watched the england match with the boys, now going to have a little bit of me time, and watch casualty that i recorded earlier
    hugs all
    shaz xxx
    loves to knit and crochet for others
    • dpixie
    • By dpixie 13th Jun 10, 7:32 AM
    • 314 Posts
    • 1,952 Thanks
    dpixie
    morning all - an early start for me today after a disappointing evenings football.

thank you for all the lovely words about my cardi's, i can only take credit for making them, may gets the credit for finding the pattern. it was a brilliant find, i believe. elaine - the cardi is quite small and will fit a 0 - 3 month old, i think, but then what would i know?

i will try to post the link for the pattern ... http://needleworkersroom.blogspot.com/2008/07/hexagon-sweater-revisited.html - that looks right, i hope that it works. however, if it doesn't, look up cozy's corner on google and then crochet under her sub-headings and the pattern is right there.

have a lovely day everyone, i am going to take my crochet and sit in bed and watch all the rowers on the thames for a while.

hugs to all who need them, and to anyone else who wants one.

dpixie
    1 oxfam jumper, 19 hexagon jumpers and 1 beanie!
    • shezmit
    • By shezmit 13th Jun 10, 9:12 AM
    • 779 Posts
    • 3,973 Thanks
    shezmit
    i am doing abseil with my mom today while she has her energy, really excited as it will be some extra special memories x x x
    Knitting for premature babies and babies that are born to soon
    TOTAL: 4 SANDS BLANKET, 18 CROCHETED BLANKETS, 4 GOWNS, 2 SLEEPING BAG (PRIVATE REQUEST), 1 BIB, 8 BOOBS, 3 CARDIES, 9 VENTS, 3 KNITTED BLANKETS, 1 PAIR OF BOOTIES, 1 HAT,
  • In Search Of Me
    Morning all..lovely day yesterday. did town then got dvd's and enjoyed them - mum and J watched the footy (banished to mums room - really cant stand it!) while I watched "The lovely bones"...I'd read the book so wasnt dure how they would make it into a film but they did well. Today is church (J staying at home!) before getting cats from lodger - one coming her for now and the jealous one will go to her new home. Then home for lunch before taking J to the train. cast on my second arm for cardi which I hope to finish today or tomorrow...will have couple quiet days as want to be here to supervise cats as they get used to each other....
    Hope the abseil goes well shez...
    Sock knitter will be around this even if you want to chat anything through..
    miol hope electrics etc ok...
    Enjoy the packing dp! Lucky you being able to watch the rowers on the thames! I used to live by chelsea old church and had my own balcony...lovely to watch the world go by!
    Ok must on as things to do!
    Nerd no 109 Long haulers supporters DFW #1! Even in the darkest moments, love and hope are always possible.

• roamin in the gloamin
    • By roamin in the gloamin 13th Jun 10, 9:57 AM
    • 1,942 Posts
    • 9,049 Thanks
    roamin in the gloamin
    Quick pop in - haven't caught up with all the work let alone all the postings on the forum, SIL and boyfriend are out a walk, DH has gone out on the bike so I suppose I could do some tidying - not flamin likely, managed to get the ironing done very early this morning before anyone else apart from me and the dogs were up, so I feel I am ahead. Lunch is a bung it on the barbie, time for me to do a bit of reading me thinks.
    Elaine - found this hexagon pattern which looks easier for me - http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/hexagon-jacket.htm
    Mrs Twins, lovely blankies on the blog, I like F1 will try a bit harder to actually do something from your next challenge.
    Anne, hope your MIL is on the mend, just awful when there are poorlies.
    Shezmit, good luck for you and your mum on the abseil - something I love doing.
    F1 - have you managed to get unpacked yet? Hey an aid parcel would have been really handy, luckily enough nearly everyone has a washing machine these days, I only intended being down there for two days, but circumstances conspired to keep me nearly a week - NOTE TO ME - next time pack loads you just never know when you will need it SECOND NOTE TO ME - put wool and needles/crochet hook into a bag and leave it in the car ALWAYS, just never know when that one will come in handy.
    ISOM - hope your having a rare time with mum and neice
    DPIXIE - did you find a parcel man? try Parcels2go, see what they can come up with.
    Kathy, hope the thunder lightening and electrical work at yours is nearly all over now
    MAYTAURUS - are you OK, not seen you around for a wee while? Have you found us on NUTTY KNITTERS - PART 4?
    Sorry if I have missed anyone, but I only managed to skim the posts. Love and huge cuddles to everyone, hope you all have a great sunny smiley day.

OK I must scoot as I do have a heap of things I really do need to do, I cancelled my sewing class today in order to give me more time to get things done - failed miserably but promise to try harder in future. Will be back when I can.
    xx
    Last edited by roamin in the gloamin; 13-06-2010 at 9:59 AM.
    The Hooligan Wooligan age 9
    Charity Knitting 2015-
    2xSIBOL butterflies -86x squares
    • mioliere
    • By mioliere 13th Jun 10, 10:10 AM
    • 6,827 Posts
    • 71,655 Thanks
    mioliere
    Hi everyone.

Jean - hope you manage to catch up with things, but also that you take time out to relax! I keep a bag of wool and a hook, along with the pattern for the ten-minute crochet preemie hat pattern, in a bag ready for long trips out in case I am out for longer than I expected to be.

Shez - good luck with the abseil - rather you than me; I had enough of heights helping DH to plasterboard the ceiling here!

Hope all the Mums are doing well today.

I have finished my throw but have to decide how to edge it - it's all trebles so I may continue with that around the edge. I am perilously short of all the different colours of wool I have used, so I may have to cobble something together.

The match last night was disappointing but I think the press should leave that poor goalie alone so that we can all look forward to the rest of the tournament. He did make a fantastic save later on in the game (plus, because of the age I am, I can't help feeling for him in a motherly way!). I thought that England played very well and had most of the possession of the ball (why do we all become armchair experts when it's the World Cup? DH has taken to calling me 'Ronetta Manager'!) What I can't understand is that here, the French don't seem to realise they are even in the World Cup; there's absolutely no evidence at all! Right now I am really missing the atmosphere that I know will be going on back home! The Brits really do know how to party! Anyway, onwards and upwards, I say!

Well, I'd better go and do some chores, I suppose.

Hope you all have a great day.

KathyXX
    KNIT YOUR SQUARE TOTALS:

• Seakay
    • By Seakay 13th Jun 10, 11:19 AM
    • 4,153 Posts
    • 9,987 Thanks
    Seakay
    Hello all!
    The ITV after match programme agrees that France are not in the tournament, Mioliere - they have substituted Ireland in the discussion panel of supporters from all competing nations!
    Love to all - I've skimmed through to catch up - and hope that all the poorlies are at least able to enjoy the weekend
    good luck to Shezmit.
    I've not managed any charity knitting but have made a start on a C******** jumper!
    Have a nice day with your Mum, ISOM.
    • Pippa.S
    • By Pippa.S 13th Jun 10, 12:11 PM
    • 2,648 Posts
    • 19,310 Thanks
    Pippa.S
    Hi all
    not been in for a few days I have been doing a few easy things though.

Kathy the 10minute crochet hat is sooo easy but I am worried they have come out a bit small they only measure 10cm across and 7cm high, is that right? or have I done something wrong. I did change from dc to tr as it looked like the instructions were in US terms as the hook size was G

MIL is looking better now still weak but DR seems pleased with her, I think its because they are making her drink lots of water which she HATES!! but she was so dehydrated they had to get some fluids into her. She wants wants to go home as well so I think thats a good sign.
    Wont be going to the hospital this afternoon, BIL is coming up so he will visit today.

DS2,DIL,DGS and my Mum, are coming for Lunch today so I am looking forward to our little get together.
    I feel I have neglected my Mum while MIL has been ill, so this will be a treat for her not having to cook and no washing up either
    I hope the sun comes out and stays out, I bought a little paddling pool as a surprise for DGS so I was hoping he would be able to play in it today....but we shall see

Will post my update in the next post.

A BIG THANK YOU to all of you for being there and listening to my ramblings, sending (((hugs))) for you all

Anne
    x

Shelley and Mum good luck to you both I think you are very brave, but what a lovely memory maker for you.
    • Pippa.S
    • By Pippa.S 13th Jun 10, 12:14 PM
    • 2,648 Posts
    • 19,310 Thanks
    Pippa.S
    UPDATE

2 - CHALKY SQUARES
    2 - MRS TWINS SQUARES
    2 - CARDIS
    2 - PREEMIE HATS

Anne
    x
    • Mrs Twins
    • By Mrs Twins 13th Jun 10, 12:49 PM
    • 201 Posts
    • 1,256 Thanks
    Mrs Twins
    Hi Everyone on MSE,

Happy Sunday!
    Just popping in to thank you all for your very kind comments on my blankets.
    I really do appreciate the help I have received from everyone on MSE who has
    very kindly contributed Squares to my SIBOL Project. I hope you understand I
    don't have too much time to post regularly on here but I just want you to know
    I am grateful.

OOh, just to let you know I have added another Challenge to my blog.
    Deadline end of September.
    If anyone wants to send in Christmas Squares.
    I know it is early but this will allow for me to make up Christmas Blankets
    to be donated as well as the usual ones.
    6" Squares
    Red Green White,
    Acrylic if possible (Dont worry if not)
    So any pattern, using these colours only.
    There is a limit on up to 3 each, because I think this one will
    be popular.

COULD YOU PLEASE REMEMBER TO ENCLOSE YOUR NAME, ADDRESS, EMAIL ADDRESS So I can acknowledge your Squares, thank you!

Please join in the fun. I know its only 'JUNE' but then I will have time.
    I'm having such a wicked time over on SIBOL please check me out.
    www.sunshineinternationalblanketsoflove.blogspot.c om
    also
    www.flickr.com/photos/sues_favourite_things
    Go to Sets along the side and see my SIBOL Blankets.

ANY ENQUIRIES sueatpigsty@talktalk.net

OOh, my article was in 'INSIDE CROCHET' this week. Issue No.8.
    It's available at W.H. Smiths, Hobby Craft.
    There are a couple of mistakes, namely my name they put me as 'Sue Twins' instead of Mrs Twins 'User Name'. They also said I donate my Blankets World Wide, but of course I don't (not yet anyway! ha.ha.!!)

Thanks alot once again,
    Hugs Suex
    Last edited by Mrs Twins; 13-06-2010 at 12:56 PM.
    • mioliere
    • By mioliere 13th Jun 10, 1:26 PM
    • 6,827 Posts
    • 71,655 Thanks
    mioliere
    Pippa - I've adapted that pattern in lots of ways, sometimes adding two or four stitches to the first row which makes it bigger, once you've done the row of two stitches into one to increase. I've done dcs, trbles, even the ridge stitch where you just work into one loop of each stitch instead of both. For girly ones I've done a frill on the last row (just doing two or three chains into each st). I've done quite a few in the original size because, although they're very small, they can be used for the poor little ones who sadly don't survive.

Mrs Twins - the Christmas challenge sounds great. I still have squares to send to you - I will definitely try and get a parcel organised this week, I promise! The blankets look really fantastic; well done for such a good job putting all the lovely squares together!

Well, DH is helping a friend to fit a new shower so I have a few hours of peace - I am just about to make a cuppa then sit down with my crochet. It's nice not having any work done on the house for just one day - I've tidied up and it's stayed tidy!

Chalky - lovely photos and write-up on your blog. Apart from the obvious bonus of the sun, the festival was well worth being back there for!

KathyXX
    KNIT YOUR SQUARE TOTALS:

• chalky 75
    • By chalky 75 13th Jun 10, 2:01 PM
    • 2,488 Posts
    • 15,062 Thanks
    chalky 75
    Hello to one and all .Gentle thought for those with their hands overflowing!!

Shelle
    y -- Hope Abseiling went well -- I would be hopeless!!

Kathy DOH thinks you speak absolutely the truth. A West Ham supporter who felt for the goalie last night -- soooo much!!

Well we are beginning to think of our homeward journey -- in between the football !!

We leave here on Wednesday morning early and then spend 2 weeks travelling to Cherbourg. Really looking forward to it!

We are having some friends around tomorrow night for a "Hasta luego" meal so we needed to pop to the shop this morning for some cake that I want to use in the pudding

http://www.cookitsimply.com/recipe-0010-0u12293.html

Well we started to wander home but the little Spanish bar on the corner put out one of those slippery mats that you can not avoid. So we found ourselves with 2 small beers and 1/2 a baguette with tomato each without even opening our lips!!! Absolutely delish. Then the atmosphere was so lovely and everybody else was " doing it "so we found 2 glasses of red wine in front of us with 3 Tapas --- 1 Tortilla , 1 Russian Salad and 1 spicy Pork served with bread. Well I thought my treat and what a treat it was ---- The whole lot for 8 Euros 20 Centimos !!!
    Oh we are going to miss all things Spanish especially the prices very soon.

I am quietly hooking whilst all things footie are continuing but we have got a big Fiesta of the Moors and Christians going on which we are loving and as always pictures are able to be viewed in the usual place!!Thanks for kind comments Kathy

Lots of love to all
    Last edited by chalky 75; 13-06-2010 at 2:52 PM.
    Try and do a good deed every day.
    • shezmit
    • By shezmit 13th Jun 10, 4:23 PM
    • 779 Posts
    • 3,973 Thanks
    shezmit
    We done it , and mom really enjoyed herself she is so scared of heights but she done and i am really proud of her,

sorry if the pics are too big
    Knitting for premature babies and babies that are born to soon
    TOTAL: 4 SANDS BLANKET, 18 CROCHETED BLANKETS, 4 GOWNS, 2 SLEEPING BAG (PRIVATE REQUEST), 1 BIB, 8 BOOBS, 3 CARDIES, 9 VENTS, 3 KNITTED BLANKETS, 1 PAIR OF BOOTIES, 1 HAT,
    • chalky 75
    • By chalky 75 13th Jun 10, 4:29 PM
    • 2,488 Posts
    • 15,062 Thanks
    chalky 75
    Well done to you and your Mum Shelley -- What a wonderful achievement. You must be so proud
    Try and do a good deed every day.
  • sock-knitter
    well done to shelley and to her mum, you're both so brave, and lovely memories to treasure
    shaz xxx
    loves to knit and crochet for others
    • Pippa.S
    • By Pippa.S 13th Jun 10, 5:50 PM
    • 2,648 Posts
    • 19,310 Thanks
    Pippa.S
    Just popping in to say ...............
    Well done Shelley and Mum
    Anne
    x
  • Kinsey
    Shez your Mum is wonderful, and so are you. Congratulations on doing the abseil. xxx
    • mioliere
    • By mioliere 13th Jun 10, 7:09 PM
    • 6,827 Posts
    • 71,655 Thanks
    mioliere
    Shez - well done to you and your Mum; I would never be that brave. I hope it's created a wonderful memory for you. Big (((hug))) to your Mum.

KathyXX
    KNIT YOUR SQUARE TOTALS:

• blackcrow
    Hi all,

you shamed me into posting Mayflower! ;-)

Hugs to all and "yay shezmits mum"!!! thats a wonderful achievement for you both, you should be VERY proud of yourselves.

Well, I have been lurking but very busy, hence no posts lately. Please dont add this to the update as i will post again with pics when I am ready to post parcel off to Loving Hands soon (and will post pics on here) but i have managed to make 6 oxfam jumpers (1 of slmost every size plus a diddy 1 year old one i knocked up), a longline jacket/ cardi for \ girl toddler and various granny squares from oddments. I am also halfway through making a GORGEOUS shrug pattern a friend shared with me to go over a black flamenco style dress for an evening wedding reception in a couple of weeks (its at a pub on the norfolk broads near to me - very picturesque but i will be wearing eau de cologne of insect repellent and covering up bare arms, hence the shrug!).

I was also given an old cast iron fireplace with 6 layers of paint I am slowly removing (slight problem as I was over enthusiatic with the nitromors and, even though I was very careful and did it outside, the nitromors and 200 year old lead paint reacted and I inhaled some as I stripped the fireplace down unwittingly... and gave myself a wee touch of lead poisoning, complete with awful stomach cramps, nausea and sickness for 3 days ... DOH!) so I have left it for a month and will crack on with it again once I have a facemask and I am not using the nitromors on the old stuff this time.

My dad has now finished his last of 6 weekly treatments for bladder cancer and will go back for more tests very soon, unfortunately the chemo has really knocked him for 6 and made him VERY irritable, quite unlike his normal, placid, spock-logical self :-( I haven't been able to get down to visit him as my son doesnt know he is ill and the mere mention of a trip sent my mum into such a fluster about finding time to cook and clean and sort the spare room out that, despite my sincere protestations about takeaways and me doing the cleaning to help her out I backed off, and we agreed I would take a trip down to see them in the school summer hols after the chemo and further tests) so i have been trying to keep myself as busy as poss at work and home to stop thinking too much (if you know what I mean?)

I also had a spring-cleaning cull in my house and sold a few things on ebay this week to add 20, after fees taken off, to the pot for the hen night out this friday eve coming for the wedding the week after (convict and coppers theme, I copped out this time - euw ... bad pun, not intended! - and am going in civvies with a pink badge inside my jacket pocket aka CID)

my veg plot in my postage stamp backyard has also required a bit of my time and attention... had quite a few crops of salad leaves (for packed lunch at work) and some LOVELY swiss chard (raw in salads or cooked it tastes almost like baby leaf spinach) and russian borecole (you will have to look that up for a pic, but very yummy!) with tomatoes and cukes flowering and herbs (esp. sage and chives) full of flowers and I smile every evening (at the same time almost) as the same big bee come and visits them and trys to stuff so much pollen into his leg sacks that they become huge and they overspill everywhere and when he flies off he zigzags like a little drunkard sailer on the rum! absolutely adorable :-)

My son went on his first camping activity weekend with the school in May as well, and came back brimming with self-confidence (also lovely to see) after trying quad-biking (he crashed and won an award for being the worst which he found very funny), archery (he hit the target twice!) and lots of other similar things... but the highlight of the trip was apparantly the games of card uno I packed in his bag with his mates on the steps of the log cabin in the evenings before and after dinner, his mates had never played before and all loved it so much they went home asking for a set of their own... aww, bless!

oops, later than i thought, must dash as its the start of another week at work tomorrow for me and i need my sleep (given up on the idea of beauty sleep, the older i get the more i wake up with wrinkles on my face from the pillow, eek?!)

Tally x
    never play leapfrog with a unicorn...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

883Posts Today

6,252Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • The strange thing with a 4yr old is having to play & smile while inside feeling sick for those in trauma in my birth town #Manchester

• Just a quick ta-ta for now. I'm taking the week off for family time with mini and Mrs MSE. So I won't be here much. Back after the bank hol

• Ugh another one trying it! Beware https://t.co/Ab9fCRA76F

• Follow Martin