Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mioliere
    • By mioliere 6th Jun 10, 12:02 PM
    • 6,827Posts
    • 71,655Thanks
    mioliere
    Knit Your Square to Give Your Share - PART 4
    • 6th Jun 10, 12:02 PM
    Knit Your Square to Give Your Share - PART 4 6th Jun 10 at 12:02 PM
    Hi everyone

Penelope Penguin has been in touch this morning and suggested that it's time for Part 4 because part 3 has grown and grown, thanks to you all for your hard work! She will add links to this thread so that we can carry on seamlessly.

It's wonderful to think that we are now at the start of part 4! It's thanks to you all that this little idea, started just over two years ago, has become such a success!

FOR ALL NEWBIES AND LURKERS - I have tried to post a link to a post but, for some reason, it hasn't worked. Until I have sorted it out, please look for post number 1885, which you will find on page 95 of this thread - it will tell you all about what we do! Do please join us!

For all those who may have been lurking, please, please feel free to join us! You will receive the warmest of welcomes and I just know you will enjoy it here!

KathyXX

Official MoneySavingExpert insert: 'Knit Your Square to Give Your Share' is a wonderful group that knits and crochets for charitable causes, both in the UK and overseas. They provide ideas, links to stockists, tutorials and other useful websites, encouragement to one another and, most importantly, handmade items that are distributed among deserving causes. For more information please see this post. Thanks to mioliere for starting Part 4 of what is, undoubtedly, a fantastic group.

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Debs; 20-03-2012 at 6:40 PM.
    KNIT YOUR SQUARE TOTALS:

Squares: 11, Animal blankets: 2
Page 3
    • dpixie
    • By dpixie 9th Jun 10, 7:25 AM
    • 314 Posts
    • 1,952 Thanks
    dpixie
    shez - once again, i am so sorry for both you and your family. however, having worked in the NHS for many years, my advice would be to sue them. unfortunately this is once of those times when getting nasty (if you can) will help deal with some of the pain - it wont improve the situation, but making sure people know where they have gone wrong does make one feel better.

dpixie
    1 oxfam jumper, 19 hexagon jumpers and 1 beanie!
    • salome
    • By salome 9th Jun 10, 8:13 AM
    • 349 Posts
    • 2,653 Thanks
    salome
    Hi.

Love the blue lappy :-)
    I have to take my youngest to have her tooth out today :-( Trusting it will go ok, last time she had a tooth removed she was ill.
    Hope baby is feeling a bit better PSSO.
    Missing the sunshine. It was lovely last week, sitting out on the decking doing my course homework and reading. I'm not a great one for sitting a long time in the sun, due to having had sunstroke when I was ten, but I do like to sit out in it for a short while, especially if I have something to do, i.e knit, or homework stc :-) Today it's very grey outside my window :-(
    I am without a camera at the moment. My 15yr old took it to Bournemouth and it got wet ???? Even though it ws in it's case at the time, it doesn't seem to want to work :-(
    I missed sending Chalky her squares, can I send them when you're over again ??? :-)
    Have a blessed and prosperous day. Hugs to all who need one ((((hugs)))) Love you all :-)

x
    A work in progress
    • chalky 75
    • By chalky 75 9th Jun 10, 8:19 AM
    • 2,488 Posts
    • 15,062 Thanks
    chalky 75
    Good Morning to one and all--
    Lots of gentle thoughts to Shelley. ISOM , May and anyone else struggling with life in general at the moment.

Orkney Star -- How lovely to see you back and Purple Teddy Bear lovely to hear of all your knitting.
    Sock Knitter -- Your knitting projects always sound inspiring What is your favourite colour to knit with for yourself!?
    PSSO I know how organised you are so Jayden can be sent anytime by ParcelForce and I will send "any old iron " by return of post. Poor little soul might travel better when he is all changed and fresh though!!
    Kathy Hope all things Chez Barn are going well.

Thanks so much for all the preparations for sending next lot of squares,hedgies etc,etc. As I said we will be home on the 1st July until at least Nov so thank you all once agin for all your wonderful efforts

Well we start our journey next Wednesday so it is time to get organised so I am just finishing off bits and pieces ready to pop in the Sunshine Bus.
    We are swimming every day to make the most of the sunshine and warmth -- I wonder what the summer will hold in the UK?
    OK must jump in the shower
    Lots of love to all
    Try and do a good deed every day.
    • chalky 75
    • By chalky 75 9th Jun 10, 8:20 AM
    • 2,488 Posts
    • 15,062 Thanks
    chalky 75
    Salome -- crossed posts . See above for dates
    Try and do a good deed every day.
  • f1widow
    Morning ladies - sorry have been MIA - usual half term and cleaning up after the week iykwim!.....

I have tried to catch up - but must apologise if I miss anything/anyone
    pippa - hopefully everything ok with MIL xx
    shez - Im still stunned by your Mum's illness -but feel your family are fighting - I really admire you all - thinking of you xxx
    may - I read one of your last posts where you showed a quote from shez and also wrote about getting the Doctor to listen and coming off the phone in tears - Ive been down that route (and still am if truth be known) and its not funny to be passed off and I get so upset and angry when I see more and more people living like this daily - if I was more healthy myself I would start campaigning I tell you - no-one deserves to be treated like this xxxx
    isom - oh I tell you your tales have had me in stitches - Mum and you are ladies after my own heart - so is it the gallstones that have made Mum so sick or has she got a nasty bug as well? - hopefully improvement will start now they know - big hugs and love to you both xx
    os - great to see you back xxx
    chalky - loving the pics - the blues are fantastic - something Im lacking in, in my stash is blue - as for summer in England I think we had it last weekso you may be a little too late xxx

Thinking of ISOM's Mum story made me think of the time I was in hospital being checked in a "womanly area" and was all laid out - bits out in the air and was asked if some students could observe - I said yes not a problem (thinking one or two would stand behind consultant - WRONG) - and one by one they came in sat on a stool with wheels - wheeled up to my lower regions and wheeled themselves away .......... well after the third or fourth did this - I asked "tickets please" luckily the consultant and students all saw the funny side of this - trouble is I got a fit of the giggles and could not stop ...... x

psso - hoping young man is feeling better and that his lovely Nan has had some sleep xxx - I saw you and DD & baby on pics on LH - you look very young - so the lack of sleep is not harming your looks xxx (oh I hope that sounded right and I have not offended you I know what I wanted to say .........xx
    linedancerann - such dreadful events - you can hardly believe it happened - loving thoughts to all those in the town xx

Well im off to get on - just to report 2 + hours ironing completed Monday - still more to do though .aaaggghhhh!
    Im just finishing a "child blue" jumper - that was more interesting and has taken me 3 nights and a bit in the day so far - only 2-3 inches left and sew up - (k2tog - bit quicker than the Oxfam one xxx)

Well hugs and love to you all - hoping you all have a good day - special thoughts to those that are poorly or have family who are ill xxx (I was keeping this short otherwise we will be on Part 5 - you know how I like to whitter on.....)
    Debt Diary: Im not going to be an Ostrich anymore -LBM - 16/1/12 /
  • Kinsey
    Good mornig everyone,
    Shez, just read your mum's interview. I don't know what to say about that, except stay angry and don't let them get away with it, even if it's only for the next people who have this problem. Thinking of you and your mum, lots of love.

ISOM good for your mum saying she won't leave til it's sorted, does she like hospital food then? Seriously, we should all get that attitude, then maybe things would improve. They can spend a fortune looking for 'new' cures but can't manage to carry out the old ones. Hope it all goes well and is soon over with so you can both get on with life.

psso Jayden is such a beautiful baby, and certainly doesn't look as if he would dream of getting gran up at stupid o'clock.

Chalky the blue blanket is superb, and I love the edging, you've given me yet more ideas. I think more ideas float off into the ether than actually get done.

Love to everyone xxx
  • Kinsey
    For hookers, this is very useful:
    http://www.crochetmagazine.com/newsletters.php?mode=article&article_id=960&key=NL 00
    • psso
    • By psso 9th Jun 10, 4:19 PM
    • 1,209 Posts
    • 6,039 Thanks
    psso
    Quote ; psso - hoping young man is feeling better and that his lovely Nan has had some sleep xxx - I saw you and DD & baby on pics on LH - you look very young - so the lack of sleep is not harming your looks xxx (oh I hope that sounded right and I have not offended you I know what I wanted to say .........xx quote.

Oh Jaqui you made my day . If only you could see me now - I don`t have bags under my eyes..........I have suitcases Haven`t been sleeping very well lately anyway so nothing new there.

Jim used to say that on a good day with a following wind I only looked 75 - the rest of the time I look 112. Cheeky devil.

Be back later when I`ve got some `me` time.

Elaine.x
    Fully paid up member of S.A.B.L.E.
    Stash Accumulated Beyond Life Expectancy

Charity knitting 2015
  • In Search Of Me
    Thanks for you all your good wishes. Mum had a tube down today to fit a stent and try and disperse the gallstones and hopefully will come home tomorrow. Bless her she was very brave - I couldnt have let them do it while awake! She still has residual infection so waiting to see if more antibiotics but problem is the infection was caused by antibiotics so its possibly a vicious circle! We sat happily knitting for a bit and then I left her to rest. Think you have to be assertive and know your rights to be honest with the nhs so streatched but am hopeful that getting rid of ridiculous targets will mean a more efficient use of resources. We shall see but there is at least a glimmer hope...so sad for shez and family though..
    Linedancerann lovely that a minutes silence was done but so sad that it was necessary...quite incredible that so much devastation can be reeked in such a short time by one person...my thoughts and prayers are with you all as you sturggle to come to terms with whats happened. I do hope that the media at least will leave people alone and give them dignity in grief...
    Car in for MOT tomorrow at the ungodly hour of 8.45...whatever possessed me!!
    isoke bought me in a live bird; very gently in her mouth! Managed to get it and release it but she was most put out that I had rejected her gift and released it!
    F1 lovely to "see" you - was thinking of you today as you havent been on.
    Psso...know what you mean about eyes...can stick my thumb in mine - thinks its a family facial feature though! Kiss for the munchkin!
    Cant believe the time has flown chalky! Scary how it goes!
    on to finish the front of my cardi and then just the arms to do!
    Nerd no 109 Long haulers supporters DFW #1! Even in the darkest moments, love and hope are always possible.

• shezmit
    • By shezmit 9th Jun 10, 6:18 PM
    • 779 Posts
    • 3,973 Thanks
    shezmit
    ISOM,

i am glad your mom is getting sorted, Hopefully they will get those gallstones out of the way, I bet you are looking forward into her coming home x x Send her our love x x
    Knitting for premature babies and babies that are born to soon
    TOTAL: 4 SANDS BLANKET, 18 CROCHETED BLANKETS, 4 GOWNS, 2 SLEEPING BAG (PRIVATE REQUEST), 1 BIB, 8 BOOBS, 3 CARDIES, 9 VENTS, 3 KNITTED BLANKETS, 1 PAIR OF BOOTIES, 1 HAT,
  • f1widow
    Just thought I would pop on and tell you all - in public - a confession of massive proportions...........

k2tog - this is the biggest LA LA I have ever had .....

The boy blue jumper that i said this morning was just finishing well I settled down this afternoon with "Housewife 49" recorded from a couple of weeks ago - finished it - proceeded to sew up ............

ONLY TO FIND I HAVE SEWN THE BODY UP AS SLEEVES AND SLEEVES AS BODY - it will fit a small child with fatish arms !!!!!!! - well I tell you i soon slung it down the other end of sofa - Im so stupid - tried an unpick and my seam just wont unpick and now it looks a little wrong

So confession over im off for a bath .................xxx
    Debt Diary: Im not going to be an Ostrich anymore -LBM - 16/1/12 /
    • mioliere
    • By mioliere 9th Jun 10, 8:50 PM
    • 6,827 Posts
    • 71,655 Thanks
    mioliere
    Hi everyone - I haven't had a chance to post on here today because we've started the electrical work and the power keeps having to be turned off - very irritating, I can tell you, especially as it will be the same tomorrow! I hope to post early tomorrow morning but will probably have to wait until all the work is done before I switch back on. I've been assured that tomorrow will be the last day.

I've missed coming on here and haven't had time to read the posts but will try and catch up in the morning. Hope everyone is well and that you all have a great evening.

KathyXX
    KNIT YOUR SQUARE TOTALS:

• k2tog
    • By k2tog 9th Jun 10, 10:11 PM
    • 997 Posts
    • 4,638 Thanks
    k2tog
    Oh so much going on!
    First of all - Shez, I really hope you can all make the most of your time. I'm glad your Mum sounds happier at the other hospital. Thinking of you and your family.

Chalky, please bring the weather with you, and lots of it!
    ISOM, glad they are keeping your Mum in and getting her sorted. at the examination.
    May, lovely to see you posting. Since Jean's tales on LH of her and sister trying to identify you in the car park I've been picturing you as a quietly glam lady swooshing into the service station along to the whirlwind that is Jean - makes me smile
    Elaine, I thought the same as Jaqui - I see no bags.
    Kinsey, grab those ideas before they float off! I know the feeling though. I reckon I'd be a genius if only I could remember anything .
    Dpixie, hope moving things are going smoothly.
    Hi OS - good to see you again, and you too PTB.
    Hope things settle a little for you Kathy - sounds stressful. If you do spray Louis blue while doing the chair, he'll co-ordinate with Chalky's lappy
    Jaqui, i'm sorry you had such a big la-la moment but I had to laugh at the image of the child wearing it. I have had nightmare unpicks - my sewing up is rubbish but very secure
    Pippa, glad the weather is benefitting your garden. Every cloud, as they say....
    Linedancerann, I hope things are calming down where you are and as ISOM said, that people are being left alone now.
    Salome, I would be cross on behalf of your daughter too. Is this the same daughter that did the blankets for the nursing homes? I love that they kept them for those who would otherwise have got nothing at Christmas.
    What a good friend to have sock-knitter - lucky you!
    Oops, a long one.
    Hope I haven't left anyone out - it's a tired head, not rudeness .
    Hi to the lurkers, especially Lorna and Pam if you are there. Please pop back in again.
    Off for a quick bath now - night all x
    • mioliere
    • By mioliere 10th Jun 10, 4:58 AM
    • 6,827 Posts
    • 71,655 Thanks
    mioliere
    Hi everyone - I woke up early this morning and couldn't get back to sleep so I decided to get up and do the update because I might be offline for most of the day while the rest of the electrics are being sorted out.

Shez - I read the article and am glad that your Mum has brought the sad circumstances to public attention. I know it won't help her but it may go some way to preventing the same happening again. I hope you and your family can make the most of the next few months.

Elaine - hope Jayden the Gorgeous is better now? I'm going to see if I can log in to LH now to see the photos! It keeps logging me out for some reason, which is why I can't post on there as often as I would like.

Chalky - Chez Barn is coming on, slowly but surely! We're still waiting for the tanking solution we had to order from the UK (because we can't buy it here, mainly because the French don't do damp-proofing!) so DH has got on with other jobs. As I've said earlier, the electrics are being completed today so there will no more wires hanging around, and we can get on with plastering the ceilings and walls in the kitchen/dining room. Luckily, the plaster here is quick-drying so we can get the painting done without having to wait for days for it to dry out. Our new tiles should be ready for collection at the end of the week, but I have no idea when they'll be put on the walls! I will try and update my blog over the weekend - I have taken loads of photos but haven't had the time to post them! Loved your tutorial, by the way - you are truly a professional blogger when you've posted a tute, I think!

K2tog - I would leave it for a few days - once you've had a break from it, it'll be easier to unpick. You're certainly not stupid - I bet we've all done it; I know I have on more than once occasion!

ISOM - good luck to your Mum. I think you are so right about the targets; they've caused untold misery in every area of life, as can be seen in that awful business in Staffordshire where, at long last, there will be a public inquiry into all those unnecessary deaths in hospital. I am also pleased that they have said they will penalise hospitals in cases where they have discharged patients too soon - that happened to my DS2 after a major operation; he came home with a raging infection and we ended up having to go back to the hospital daily for two weeks, then weekly for months on end until it finally cleared up. It was the third of a series of operations - the first two had gone well but the third one was carried out after the Government had changed in 1997, and the hospital staff said they were being pushed to discharge patients too soon. The op involved staples which had to be removed - again this went well after the first two ops, but was awful after the third one because, as the nurse told me, they were having to use cheaper less efficient instruments. I, for one, will always be angry about how things went downhill. My son went through great deal of unnecessary pain and it caused us all such anguish and worry. I also agree with you about leaving the people of west Cumbria to get on with their lives without the press camped out on their doorsteps. It seems like a wonderful community that will help each other through the dark weeks, months, and years ahead.

DPixie - how's the packing going? Not long now, is it?

Kinsey - thanks for that link. I've bookmarked it for future use!

Salome - hope the extraction went well this time.

Well, off to do the update.

KathyXX
    KNIT YOUR SQUARE TOTALS:

• mioliere
    • By mioliere 10th Jun 10, 5:46 AM
    • 6,827 Posts
    • 71,655 Thanks
    mioliere
    Hi, me again!

I've just done the update but can't post it because I have a problem with the spreadsheet on Google Docs; as Jean is the expert on that, I have emailed her for her advice! Having said that, it may have automatically updated the last one I posted on my b**g, with any luck!

KathyXX

Have just looked and it has updated automatically - clever stuff, isn't it, but I have no idea how it works!
    Last edited by mioliere; 10-06-2010 at 5:49 AM.
    KNIT YOUR SQUARE TOTALS:

• maytaurus
    • By maytaurus 10th Jun 10, 7:00 AM
    • 2,080 Posts
    • 7,795 Thanks
    maytaurus

Just a quick visit to say

On Mrs Twins blog today click to see

Ta - Dah's! All three of them! The final three 'Sun themed Blankets!'.

and

Our SIBOL article 'Inside Crochet' appears today! Monday Up-Date!

http://suesfavouritethings.blogspot.com/

Free patterns & stuff

http://arminas-aminals.blogspot.com/

Hope to be back & catch up L 8 T R X X X

Last edited by maytaurus; 10-06-2010 at 7:37 AM.
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane Marcus Aurelius
    • mioliere
    • By mioliere 10th Jun 10, 7:57 AM
    • 6,827 Posts
    • 71,655 Thanks
    mioliere
    Thanks, Maytaurus - and a big (((hug))) to you, too! I hope you have a great day.

KathyXX
    KNIT YOUR SQUARE TOTALS:

• salome
    • By salome 10th Jun 10, 10:23 AM
    • 349 Posts
    • 2,653 Thanks
    salome
    Hi

My daughter didn't have the extraction in the end. The dentist was concerned that her roots were crossed over and didn't want the responsibilty of taking the tooth out in the surgery, so she has to go to hospital and see a specialist, and probably have it dealt with there.
    I haven't got much knitting done :-( Must get clicking later lol.
    I haven't a lot of umphhh this morning lol. Could do with some more sleep lol.
    Have a blessed and prosperous day. Hugs to all who need them ((((hugs)))) Love you all.

x
    A work in progress
  • In Search Of Me
    Morning all;
    Feeling much better today - yesterday was hard with a combination of more worky stress; mum having her op and then discovering I had to have mot...mot done now and all ok, mum staying in as still ikky but at least they will sort things and seeing a friend tonight for a natter so feel much more under control. Also discovered that I had done a bit of my baby cardi wrong but managed to fix it so chuffed with that esp as my mummy guru wasnt here! Just the arms to do now and hope to hand it over on sun... sure they will be chuffed with it.
    lovely to see you may
    Salome much better to have it done safely and cautiously!
    miol hope the electrics get done soon
    Chalky, dppixie, F1 hope packing/unpacking going ok. Must go look at psso's piccy...wonder if it is anything like my image of her?!!
    Hugs for lurkers and mia's...

ps...cant find psso...linky or pm ?
    Last edited by In Search Of Me; 10-06-2010 at 11:37 AM.
    Nerd no 109 Long haulers supporters DFW #1! Even in the darkest moments, love and hope are always possible.

• dpixie
    • By dpixie 10th Jun 10, 2:03 PM
    • 314 Posts
    • 1,952 Thanks
    dpixie
    hi everyone, hope that you are all well or at least okay. i had an early morning meeting this morning and had to do some hooking and have a coffee before i could have a shower or start getting dressed for said meeting - is there something wrong with me.

whilst i was having my lunch, i read f1's mail and laughed at her lala moment and the sat down to do the button band on my latest hexagon jumper. i had sewn in all the end and was getting the buttons out when i realised that i had forgotten to make little button loops for the button holes - well did i giggle! F1 - its not only you that has lala moments - i forget to do button holes and have also managed to loose a pair of bamboo knitting needles in a very tidy 2 bed flat - we have so little stuff here that they should be dancing up and down saying "here we are d - look at us", but for the life of me i cannot find them! oh well, pre-senile dementia must be setting in!

hi may - lovely to see you again, hope that you are feeling okay.

isom - give your mum a hug from us.

anyway, back to tidying and rationalising stuff and doing some work - have a fab afternoon all!

dpixie
    1 oxfam jumper, 19 hexagon jumpers and 1 beanie!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

246Posts Today

1,329Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• RT @thismorning: With his last deals of the year, @MartinSLewis wishes us all a 'very merry Christmas, a happy Hanukkah and a wonderful and?

• RT @stoneygran: @MartinSLewis I furtively used a pub toilet last night before getting on the bus and felt really guilty!

• Follow Martin