Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Former MSE Alana
    Report Bank Charges successes and failures
    • 8th Dec 09, 10:33 PM
    Report Bank Charges successes and failures 8th Dec 09 at 10:33 PM

Please report your Bank Charges Reclaiming Successes/failures
    since the Supreme Court decision in Nov 2009 here

REMEMEBER BY DOING THIS YOU ENCOURAGE OTHERS WHO MAY BE TOO SCARED TO RECLAIM

How to report your success/failure:

1. Click reply to enter you story.

2. Report your story in the following format:
    • Bank name:
    • Amount Reclaimed:
    • Amount they paid:
    • The story: (Just a few sentences, please include how far you went did you a. just write a letter, b. threaten to go to court or c. actually go to court)
    ***** Want to tell your story in a newspaper/on TV? *****

Hi all. If you've had a refund we need your help

Bank Charges is often in the news and we are frequently asked if we have any MoneySavers that are willing to tell their stories to the press.

If you'd like to help spread the news and encourage others, please e-mail casestudy@moneysavingexpert.com (sorry but we can't answer questions at this email address) with as much of the following info as you can:

* how much was your claim for
    * how much did you get back
    * who is your bank
    * a daytime phone number - we often need to reach people at very short notice
    * whether you are happy to appear in the papers,tv or both
    * where you live

NOTE IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS
    ABOUT RECLAIMING BANK CHARGES
    PLEASE FIRST READ THE GUIDE:
    Bank Charges Reclaiming
    Last edited by MSE Archna; 10-06-2010 at 4:35 PM.
Page 3
  • sharon666
    [QUOTE=mikeyry;29929893]what address did you send you letters to?

that is excellent, good thinking too, pay some but ask for the rest back, i think i will do that, can you put up the address to where you sent your letters to, many thanks, i think this will help lots on here,

thanks sharon666,
  • emwil14
    Help!!!
    I made a claim in May 2007
    Amount: 2600 and I did not include charges (yeah stupid)
    Bank: Natwest
    Result: Negative - I received a letter second week of January saying that they are happy with the outcome of the Supreme Court 25 November 2009, and therefore no refund will be made.
    I have 8 weeks to reply, if i dont complain the case will be closed.

What can I do? Any help and advise I would much appreciate.
    (Yes I go in overdraft every month).

Thanks in advance.
    Originally posted by fp2001pf
    dont sit back and do nothing!!! write back and stress to them that if they thought the amount they have charged every time was fair then why have they now lowered the charge amount to £5?! its double standards! they cant be happy with it and change it? i did this and said i would be perfectly happy to accept the difference between £5 and £35 been as you are not willing to pay the full amount and i got a letter saying il get an offer in the next 21 days!!! mind you i am scared cos knowing my luck it might be a fiver lol!
    good luck anyway, give em hell x
  • daveprince37
    HSBC are a Nightmare!
    Started Claim - July 2008
    Original amount claimed for - £3111.50
    Bank - HSBC

As I claim during the FSE waiver - I was told that my case would be put on hold... fair enough...

As they kept extending the waiver and the Financial Hardship was brought in... I claimed FH - (correctly, as it was a vicious circle)

then in September 2009 they offered £408 to cover the charges over the last 3 months...

I accepted these on the understanding that it was not in full and that I will also continue my claim with the Finanial Ombudsman... also during this time I put in another claim for the charges since July 08 which came to £800 minus the £408 they paid back.

After the ruling they wrote back to confirm that they feel that the charges were fair etc and if nothing within 8 weeks closed... blah blah...

So I sent another letter off explaining that it is in their interest to prove that they were fair and consistent!

Then Martin gave us new template - I have sent the one off to the Financial Ombudsman and another to the bank... - the Ombudsman have replied stating high volume and my case will be seen soon... and the bank are standing their ground and saying No...

Please help...
  • emwil14
    what address did you send you letters to?
    Originally posted by mikeyry
    i sent them to: customer response services unit
    drummond house
    first floor
    1 redheughs avenue
    edinburgh
    EH12 9JN
    the phone number is:08453030456
    hope this helps x
  • sharon666
    i sent them to: Customer response services unit
    drummond house
    first floor
    1 redheughs avenue
    edinburgh
    eh12 9jn
    the phone number is:08453030456
    hope this helps x
    Originally posted by emwil14
    thanks:I am sure it will help all of us, on here, looking for the address of the natwest bank /yes?
  • emwil14
    thanks:I am sure it will help all of us, on here, looking for the address of the natwest bank /yes?
    Originally posted by sharon666
    yes it will. il keep you all posted about what happens. i think the bank thinks if it keeps knocking everyone back then eventually they will only have to pay a handfull of people! they have sat on our money long enough!!!
  • chants1981
    Lloyds TSB claim
    Hi, I was wondering what address you sent the letter to and also what exactly did you say?

thanks
    Originally posted by jowli
    Yes hun, i sent it to:

LLoyds TSB Plc
    Charlton Place
    Andover
    Hampshire
    SP10 1RE

I sent everything recorded delivery and simply followed Matins bank charge tips- hardship . I explained my circumstances and how i have been charged £500+ per year in bank charges in the past 10years. I explained my personal problems (beriefments etc), repossesions etc...

Hope this is useful and Lloyds seems very swift in their response so we will see what happens. if i am succesfsful i will be more than willing to help any1 that needs it.
  • sharon666
    Yes hun, i sent it to:

LLoyds TSB Plc
    Charlton Place
    Andover
    Hampshire
    SP10 1RE

I sent everything recorded delivery and simply followed Matins bank charge tips- hardship . I explained my circumstances and how i have been charged £500+ per year in bank charges in the past 10years. I explained my personal problems (beriefments etc), repossesions etc...

Hope this is useful and Lloyds seems very swift in their response so we will see what happens. if i am succesfsful i will be more than willing to help any1 that needs it.
    Originally posted by chants1981
    you are a good un, thank you so much, i will post with a update, thanks for now, big hugs, i hope this help others on here too.
    sharon666
  • sharon666
    B4 the Supreme court ruling i had sent numerous claims to Lloyds and was put on hold. I then put a calim in for hardship and heard nothing.

I followed Martins new approach. i sent a hardship claim in again 4th feb 2010 for £7858.52 including interest. Low and behold 8th Feb Lloyds sent me a letter saying they would look into my concerns and will let me know the outcome within 4 weeks.

Fingers crossed I will keep you updated.
    good luck to you
    sharon666
  • sharon666
    thank you sharon666, il take your advice and keep you posted
    Originally posted by mista mason
    good luck to you
    sharon666
  • sharon666

[edit]
    Contact Details

REGISTERED ADDRESS: -
    NATIONAL WESTMINSTER BANK PLC
    135 Bishpsgate,
    London
    EC2M 3TP.

DATA PROTECTION ACT

Address For a Full bells and whistles S.A.R - (Subject Access Request)
    Data Protection Manager
    Regulatory Risk
    2nd Floor
    Business House B
    Goggarburn
    PO Box 1000
    Edinburgh
    EH12 1HQ

Address For S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) Bank statements only
    Customer Relations Services Unit
    1st Floor
    Drummond House
    Redheughs Avenue
    South Gyle
    Edinburgh
    EH11 9JN
    or, if you have online banking, follow these instructions:
    1) Log into online banking
    2) Click Statements on the top left hand side
    3) View Bank Statements on screen
    4) Select the account you want then click next
    5) Hey presto you have the last 6 years statements going back to October 2002.

Address for Prelim and LBA as from 25th August 2007
    Customer Service Response Unit
    The Cornerstone
    60 South Gyle Crescent
    Edinburgh
    EH12 9WF
    Address for CCA for Natwest Credit Card
    NatWest
    Credit Management Services
    Kendal Court
    Ironmasters Way
    Telford
    TF3 4DT
    Natwest Credit Card
    Cards Customer Services
    Customer Contact Centre
    PO Box 5747
    Southend on Sea
    SS1 9AJ
    Address for PPI S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) where a copy/copies of agreement(s) are being requested
    PPI Customer Concerns Team
    FAO Information Request Team Hardman Boulevard
    5th Floor, Hardman Boulevard
    Manchester
    M3 3AQ.

COMPLAINTS DEPARTMENT EMAIL ADDRESS: -
    Online Form
    or send to feedback@NatWest.com

CUSTOMER SERVICE/COMPLAINTS CONTACT NUMBER: -
    Contact Your Branch

INTERNET BANKING WEBSITE: -
    Log On

HOW TO OBTAIN YOUR STATEMENTS ON LINE: -
    - (Subject Access Request)

OTHER CONTACTS: -
    Card Services - fax number + Data Protection Act....01702 278306
    Customers in Financial Difficulty: 0845 600 6423

NatWest Customer Relations,
    Freepost NAT12685,
    Borehamwood,
    Hertfordshire.
    WD6 1BR

NatWest (or Royal Bank of Scotland).
    Fred Goodwin
    Group Chief Executive
    The Royal Bank of Scotland Group plc
    PO Box 1000
    Edinburgh
    EH12 1HQ

OR

Gordon Pell
    Chairman and Chief Executive, Retail Banking
    The Royal Bank of Scotland Group plc
    PO Box 1000
    Edinburgh
    EH12 1HQ
    [edit]
    [edit]

[edit]
    [edit]
    Abbreviations on Statements

ATM - Automated Teller (Cash) Machine
    BAC - Automated Credit
    BGC - Bank Giro Credit
    CHG - Charge
    D/D - Direct Debit
    DIV - Dividend
    DR - Account Overdrawn or Debit Item
    IBP - Inter Branch Payment
    INT - Interest
    ITL - International
    NDC - No Dividend Counterfoil
    OTR - Online Banking
    PO - Post Office
    POS - Point of Sale - Switch/Maestro
    S/O - Standing Order
    SBT - Funds Transfer
    TLR - Teller Transaction
    TMS - Travel Money Service
    TSU - Telephone Banking

[edit]
    NatWest Online Statements

As from 16th August 2008 you can now view statements on-line back to October 5th 2002
    Quick guide:
    • (1) Log into NatWest online banking,
    • (2) Go to statements on the right hand side and click on that,
    • (3) then on the drop down menu it says "historic transactions" then you need to choose dates not more than 12 months, ie 5th October 2002 until 4th October 2003, etc,etc,.

[edit]

[edit]
    HOPE THIS HELPS YOU, TO FIND THE ADDRESS YOU NEED, I JUST PUT IN NATWEST COMPLAINTS IN GOOGLE, AND YOU WILL FIND OTHER INFORMATION ON THERE , I DON'T BANK WITH THE NATWEST, BUT, SOME OF THE INFORMATION MIGHT INTEREST YOU, HOPE IT HELPS YOU GET THE ADDRESS YOU ARE AFTER.
    GOOD LUCK
    • pool-hustler
    • By pool-hustler 16th Feb 10, 6:10 PM
    • 180 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    pool-hustler
    Does anybody know which Natwest address i should send my hardship letter? thanks
    Originally posted by mikeyry
    I think:

NatWest Care team
    George House
    36 North tower st
    Glasgow
    G1 2AD

fax 01415670147
  • emwil14
    received my offer from natwest this morning!
    bank: natwest
    amount requested: £900
    amount repaid: waiting for the offer

as the last person stated, i am also in shock!!!! i first applied for my charges about 18 months ago. i used the template letters and waited patiently. around a year ago i tried to get the charges back by going down the hardship route and was knocked back even though i have numerous debts and a notice seeking possession.
    after the courts decision i recieved a letter saying they would not be refunding charges as they thought the amount charged was fair and the court upheld this. at the bottom of the letter it said i had so long to get back in touch otherwise my case would be dropped??!! i immediatly realised there must be something i could do if it was not dropped already!
    i sat down and wrote a letter back. the main point of the letter was that the natwest are saying they think it was fair to charge £35/£38 for unauthorized overdraft usage but have now dropped this fee to £5!!!!!!!!! why lower the charge if its fair?? big mistake! i put in the letter that obviously there needs to be a charge and £5 is quite reasonable, so i will gladly accept a refund of the difference between the £5 and the £35/£38 if they are not willing to pay back the full amount.
    i recieved a form to fill in about my financial situation which i completed and sent back. on saturday i recieved another letter saying that a refund of charges has been agreed and they will send me an offer in the next 21 days!!!!
    i really can not believe it and had nearly given up hope. thankyou to martin and the team for all your help. fingers crossed its a good offer. x x

i am actually shaking! i cant believe it! i initially asked for just under £900 to be refunded and recieved an offer of £1109 this morning!!! i honestly never thought i would get to this day. i am so glad i carried on fighting for what was right. i really hope my case inspires you all to keep going and not to give up.
    thank you to martin and the team and all of you on the forums who i have gained insight and information from throughout this lengthy process.
    i hope you all have a good outcome with your cases.
    em x x x.
  • emwil14
    i was going to roll over and let the banks screw me but thanks to you guys on this thread i'm rareing for battle. tally ho!
    Originally posted by flapjack83
    nooooooo dont give up until the fat lady sings and i have lost my voice at the minute lol x
  • chants1981
    i was going to roll over and let the banks screw me but thanks to you guys on this thread i'm rareing for battle. tally ho!
    Originally posted by flapjack83
    You must pursue this hun.....keep on and hopefully you have success. The bank like to confuse, ignore and reject these bank charges! They hope that if enough ppl get fed up of rejection, silly jargon etc they will eventually 4get. Well i will keep encouraging ppl to APPLY, CLAIM, APPLY, CLAIM
  • chants1981

i am actually shaking! i cant believe it! i initially asked for just under £900 to be refunded and recieved an offer of £1109 this morning!!! i honestly never thought i would get to this day. i am so glad i carried on fighting for what was right. i really hope my case inspires you all to keep going and not to give up.
    thank you to martin and the team and all of you on the forums who i have gained insight and information from throughout this lengthy process.
    em x x x.

ABSOLUTELY brilliant honey. Im glad there is still hope for everyone out there! The drink are on you then?? LOL

Well done you!
  • emwil14

ABSOLUTELY brilliant honey. Im glad there is still hope for everyone out there! The drink are on you then?? LOL

Well done you!
    thank you very much. i dont know about the drinks being on me, its just a waiting game now to see when they pay up lol. x x
  • sharon666

em x x x.
    well done, this is excellent, really glad for you
  • gdawn
    Hi Everyone,i'm with Santander,in 2007 tried to claim £1583 in charges,sent letter Jan 2010 with hardship letter to claim total £2778,had letter refunding £115 for Jan 2010 charges,any charges for Feb will be refunded & any unauthorised overdraft charges will be canncelled till April 2010 to break the cycle of charges they state........anyone know what my next step is please?
    • pool-hustler
    • By pool-hustler 18th Feb 10, 1:07 PM
    • 180 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    pool-hustler

em x x x.
    i mentioned the drop from £38 to £5 and they said i cannot claim against fairness of the charge since the case?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

887Posts Today

7,012Users online

Martin's Twitter