Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Former MSE Alana
    Report Bank Charges successes and failures
    • 8th Dec 09, 10:33 PM
    Report Bank Charges successes and failures 8th Dec 09 at 10:33 PM

Please report your Bank Charges Reclaiming Successes/failures
    since the Supreme Court decision in Nov 2009 here

REMEMEBER BY DOING THIS YOU ENCOURAGE OTHERS WHO MAY BE TOO SCARED TO RECLAIM

How to report your success/failure:

1. Click reply to enter you story.

2. Report your story in the following format:
    • Bank name:
    • Amount Reclaimed:
    • Amount they paid:
    • The story: (Just a few sentences, please include how far you went did you a. just write a letter, b. threaten to go to court or c. actually go to court)
    ***** Want to tell your story in a newspaper/on TV? *****

Hi all. If you've had a refund we need your help

Bank Charges is often in the news and we are frequently asked if we have any MoneySavers that are willing to tell their stories to the press.

If you'd like to help spread the news and encourage others, please e-mail casestudy@moneysavingexpert.com (sorry but we can't answer questions at this email address) with as much of the following info as you can:

* how much was your claim for
    * how much did you get back
    * who is your bank
    * a daytime phone number - we often need to reach people at very short notice
    * whether you are happy to appear in the papers,tv or both
    * where you live

NOTE IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS
    ABOUT RECLAIMING BANK CHARGES
    PLEASE FIRST READ THE GUIDE:
    Bank Charges Reclaiming
    Last edited by MSE Archna; 10-06-2010 at 4:35 PM.
Page 2
  • natweststaffmember
    HALIFAX
    £1286.67
    9TH JULY 2007
    Rejected 13th January 2010 and my case will be closed 8 weeks after that.

HELP !
    Originally posted by blackhawk69
    It's a standard letter from the bank so send a revised new template one. Are you in financial hardship?
    I have not worked for NatWest Bank since February 2009

This username is no longer active.
    • Cj87
    • By Cj87 4th Feb 10, 6:59 PM
    • 906 Posts
    • 7,286 Thanks
    Cj87
    My mum was also rejected by Halifax after reclaiming through financial hardship, and they said because of the courts ruling in their favour... what to do now? As I seen someone else was successful with halifax, so how is that treating customers fairly...
  • natweststaffmember
    My mum was also rejected by Halifax after reclaiming through financial hardship, and they said because of the courts ruling in their favour... what to do now? As I seen someone else was successful with halifax, so how is that treating customers fairly...
    Originally posted by chmaine
    Banks are sending out generic letters of rejection not concerned with financial hardship. Write to them and ask them about your financial hardship case specifically.

• MSE Guy
    • By MSE Guy 5th Feb 10, 11:54 AM
    • 1,628 Posts
    • 1,255 Thanks
    MSE Guy
    Well done to everyone who has reclaimed bank charges since the banks' court victory, showing it still can be done.

If you've been successful and would like to inspire others by telling your story, please get in touch with us as we are keen to run an article on this site's news pages proving bank charges reclaiming is still possible. It's also likely newspapers will be interested in such stories.

So, if you'd like to tell your story, please email casestudy@moneysavingexpert.com with the following information:

1) A brief outline of your story
    2) How much you reclaimed
    2) How much you originally asked for
    4) A daytime phone number

Many thanks,
    Guy
    Last edited by Former MSE Wendy; 05-02-2010 at 12:49 PM.
  • nurserynurse1
    Not paid out Wot do I do now??
    Halifax
    £4000
    Started off 2 years ago when this was first talked about by Martin- filled out templetes etc- received letter from Bank putting things on hold- hence 2 years later about jan this year received letter from Halifax re-iterating what court said and that if i HADN`T ANYOTHER PROBLEMS THEN THEY WOULD CLOSE MY PROCEDURES REGARDING OVERCHARGES if they didn`t hear from me in 8 weeks! Martin- What should we do now????????????
  • kellymcd
    Hi
    I had same letter from Lloyds Tsb stating they will close my file after 8 wks. I simply replied stating I wasn't happy they wanted to close my case & would be talking to the Ombudsman. I then called the Ombudsman they gave me a case reference number which I then forwarded on to Lloyds Tsb. Just waiting now to see what happens. You should try the same, it will cost you a phone call & a few stamps but could be worth it in the end............

Good luck
  • Holly2
    Response from Halifax
    I have been on hold for my reclaiming with Halifax, I received a letter last week offering me £63 - which stated it was a goodwill gesture, with the new guidelines for reclaiming, I was wondering what to do next, whether there are new template letters to refuse this gesture and carry on with the claim or whether I should accept the claim, my original claim was for in excess of £800
    Amanda
  • fp2001pf
    negative decision
    Help!!!
    I made a claim in May 2007
    Amount: 2600 and I did not include charges (yeah stupid)
    Bank: Natwest
    Result: Negative - I received a letter second week of January saying that they are happy with the outcome of the Supreme Court 25 November 2009, and therefore no refund will be made.
    I have 8 weeks to reply, if i dont complain the case will be closed.

What can I do? Any help and advise I would much appreciate.
    (Yes I go in overdraft every month).

Thanks in advance.
  • kazlay
    thanks luckylinda, after being given the runaround by the HSBC when i tried to reclaim £1700 under hardship rule id just about given up on ever getting anywhere but your post has given me the push i needed to keep going and see it through to the end
    many thanx
    • pool-hustler
    • By pool-hustler 14th Feb 10, 12:29 PM
    • 180 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    pool-hustler
    BANK: NATWEST
    AMOUNT RECLAIMED: 12000
    AMOUNT BEING REFUNDED: 9602
    HOW LONG DID IT TAKE: OCT 2009

Very happy with the offer they offered us....

It has come at the right time as our house was flooded by sewage in Nov 09 and we can pay our debts off now and maybe treat the kids as they have had a tough time...

Many Thanks
    Originally posted by njhsmiler
    Was this a gardship case?
  • sharon666
    [QUOTE=soulcurls;29560507]Well I have reached the end of my reclaiming fight.

Although I am in extreme hardship at the moment with 0 income and am staying afloat only through the tremendous kindness of family and friends paying my mortgage and essential outgoings; Abbey have only paid me £500 (as a good will gesture) of the in excess of £2000 in charges I have claimed.
    I complained to the ombudsman, not that Abbey had refused to refund my charges, but that Abbey had rejected my claim of hardship due to the fact that I am not in mortgage arrears, my point being that these are not the criteria set-out by the FSA; incredibly however the Ombudsman ruled in Abbey’s favour, stating that Abbey are only obliged to treat me ‘fairly’ and within the law.

I cannot see what is fair about being told that I am not a hardship case despite being penniless and up to my proverbial in debt, because I am fighting by the skin of my teeth not to incur more charges…apparently if I were still incurring charges they would consider me a hardship case, or if I had let myself get into rent arrears or mortgage arrears…Abbey have made up their own set of guidelines for judging hardship and the Ombudsman (at least the one who looked at my case) is fine with this.

Considering my financial difficulties were so greatly exacerbated by Abbey’s £2000 worth of ridiculous charges in the first place, one would have thought that they might see fit to reward my struggle to keep from incurring more charges, but apparently my mistake has been allowing family and friends to keep my head above water…I should have just stopped struggling and let myself sink…

I am incredibly lucky that (so far) my family and friends have put their own finances at risk to help me and I feel extreme guilt and gratitude hourly…I was also very grateful for the £500 from Abbey that helped take the strain for a couple of weeks, but considering how hard I am trying to play by their rules I do feel a little cheated when I read about all of the many success stories…pleased for others but cheated never-the-less.

:cry :[BIG HUGS TO YOU,

LIKE YOU TRIED TO KEEP UP WITH THE INTEREST AND CHARGES PUT ON MY OVERDRAFTS, AFTER MY OH LOST HIS JOB IN 2006, I AM STILL WITH COLLECTIONS AT THE BANK, THEY HAVE DECINED EVERYTHING I HAVE ASKED FOR, BANK CHARGES, DECLINED, INTEREST CHARGED DECLINED, AND PAYMENT PROTECTECTION DECLINED, AND NO GOOD WILL FROM THEM AT ALL,

SENDING GOOD WILL TO YOU,

LIKE YOU IN HARDSHIP, AND FED UP OF ALL THE DECLINED LETTERS, AND SEEING PEOPLE ON HERE GETTING THEIR MONEY BACK, I WOULD BE OUT OF COLLECTIONS NOW, IF THEY WOULD OF STOPPED THE INTEREST AND CHARGES, BUT THEY WOULD NOT, AND THEY WON'T GIVE ANY BACK, THIS HAS INCREASED THE OVERDRAFTS DEBT AND NOT DECREASED THEM, BUT I AM HAPPY FOR ALL THE PEOPLE THAT HAVE HAD SOME OR ALL OF THEIR MONEY BACK,
    SHARON666
  • Bigfoot73
    Bank: Halifax
    Claimed: £979 and rising
    Offered: £203
    Early in December 09 I sent Halifax a claim for refund due to hardship. I listed the charges,included a financial statement and a description of how my everyday lifestyle was affected.
    My case ticks plenty of boxes for considered one of hardship: rent arrears, vicious spiral of charges, default on regular payments, need to ask the DWP for Crisis Loans, trouble feeding the electricity meter and with daily subsistence. Added to which I am on health-related benefits.
    Halifax are in the habit of paying out on debits hours before my weekly benefits arrived in my account, thus incurring even more charges. In July last year the charges took all but £98 of my monthly income, before I'd fed the meter.
    It took them a month to acknowledge receipt of the claim, followed a fortnight later by a letter saying the case should be resolved no later than 2nd March! Last week I received an offer of £203 - taking further charges since my claim into account that's about one sixth of what I feel they owe me. No explanation and no higher offer even though I wrote informing them I would be complaining to the FOS.
    An open and shut case you might think ? Not with Halifax !
  • natweststaffmember
    Bank: Halifax
    Early in December 09 I sent Halifax a claim for refund due to hardship. I listed the charges,included a financial statement and a description of how my everyday lifestyle was affected.
    My case ticks plenty of boxes for considered one of hardship: rent arrears, vicious spiral of charges, default on regular payments, need to ask the DWP for Crisis Loans, trouble feeding the electricity meter and with daily subsistence. Added to which I am on health-related benefits.
    Halifax are in the habit of paying out on debits hours before my weekly benefits arrived in my account, thus incurring even more charges. In July last year the charges took all but £98 of my monthly income, before I'd fed the meter.
    It took them a month to acknowledge receipt of the claim, followed a fortnight later by a letter saying the case should be resolved no later than 2nd March! Last week I received an offer of £203 - taking further charges since my claim into account that's about one sixth of what I feel they owe me. No explanation and no higher offer even though I wrote informing them I would be complaining to the FOS.
    An open and shut case you might think ? Not with Halifax !
    Originally posted by Bigfoot73
    halifax modus operandi is to look only at charges since the account went to collections. Is there anyway to cancel the Direct Debits and pay with another method as that would resolve the DD charges?

• Bigfoot73
    Thanks natweststaffmember. Halifax have changed the way they charge,so now it's £5 per day for unauthorized overdraft or £1 a day for authorized.This has meant that when it has happened since it's only cost a few quid, whereas one time before the changes it cost me £105 in a single day when some debits wen tout earlier than expected and all went out the same day as funds arrived which would have covered them!
  • sharon666
    [QUOTE=Bigfoot73;29901833]Bank: Halifax
    An open and shut case you might think ? Not with Halifax !hi there

try changing the dates on your dd, so your benifits go in before the dd goes out, then write to them again, explaining why there was not money in your account to cover the dd because of the charges, some charges are sometimes more than the dd themselves if they have refunded some, try to get the rest, but change the dd some way or another open a new account with another bank, the natwest has a step account, you can open it on line, you can have your benifets put in and use it for dd, no cost at all, you get a debit card, start a fresh, good luck, don't stay with the same bank for 20 years like me, you won't get thanked for it. i have opened this kind of bank account, it is the best thing i have done, put the money in and the dd get paid from the money in there no money in there no dd paid, but no charges, hope this help you, ask them for their final response before you take it to the fos.good luck to you
    sharon666
  • chants1981
    Re: re-claiming bank charges -Lloyds TSB
    B4 the Supreme court ruling i had sent numerous claims to Lloyds and was put on hold. I then put a calim in for hardship and heard nothing.

I followed Martins new approach. i sent a hardship claim in again 4th feb 2010 for £7858.52 including interest. Low and behold 8th Feb Lloyds sent me a letter saying they would look into my concerns and will let me know the outcome within 4 weeks.

Fingers crossed I will keep you updated.
  • emwil14
    natwest repaying my charges!!!!
    bank: natwest
    amount requested: £900
    amount repaid: waiting for the offer

as the last person stated, i am also in shock!!!! i first applied for my charges about 18 months ago. i used the template letters and waited patiently. around a year ago i tried to get the charges back by going down the hardship route and was knocked back even though i have numerous debts and a notice seeking possession.
    after the courts decision i recieved a letter saying they would not be refunding charges as they thought the amount charged was fair and the court upheld this. at the bottom of the letter it said i had so long to get back in touch otherwise my case would be dropped??!! i immediatly realised there must be something i could do if it was not dropped already!
    i sat down and wrote a letter back. the main point of the letter was that the natwest are saying they think it was fair to charge £35/£38 for unauthorized overdraft usage but have now dropped this fee to £5!!!!!!!!! why lower the charge if its fair?? big mistake! i put in the letter that obviously there needs to be a charge and £5 is quite reasonable, so i will gladly accept a refund of the difference between the £5 and the £35/£38 if they are not willing to pay back the full amount.
    i recieved a form to fill in about my financial situation which i completed and sent back. on saturday i recieved another letter saying that a refund of charges has been agreed and they will send me an offer in the next 21 days!!!!
    i really can not believe it and had nearly given up hope. thankyou to martin and the team for all your help. fingers crossed its a good offer. x x
  • Mralantomo
    Reclaim bank charges
    I am claiming DSS benefits and unfortunately they made an error with my payments which caused me to go over my overdraft limit by £94.00. I asked them not to charge me bank charges and they said they would charge me and it would cost me £178.00. After reading the criteria for hardship(Martins tips) I called them back and quoted the that they have a moral obligation to refund my charges as I was "in hardship" and told them I would be contacting the Ombudsman if they didnt give me a refund. Within 2 minutes all charges had been cancelled, so yes, read the information provided and make that call because almost everyone will have a moral right to reclaim charges.
  • mikeyry
    bank: natwest
    amount requested: £900
    amount repaid: waiting for the offer

as the last person stated, i am also in shock!!!! i first applied for my charges about 18 months ago. i used the template letters and waited patiently. around a year ago i tried to get the charges back by going down the hardship route and was knocked back even though i have numerous debts and a notice seeking possession.
    after the courts decision i recieved a letter saying they would not be refunding charges as they thought the amount charged was fair and the court upheld this. at the bottom of the letter it said i had so long to get back in touch otherwise my case would be dropped??!! i immediatly realised there must be something i could do if it was not dropped already!
    i sat down and wrote a letter back. the main point of the letter was that the natwest are saying they think it was fair to charge £35/£38 for unauthorized overdraft usage but have now dropped this fee to £5!!!!!!!!! why lower the charge if its fair?? big mistake! i put in the letter that obviously there needs to be a charge and £5 is quite reasonable, so i will gladly accept a refund of the difference between the £5 and the £35/£38 if they are not willing to pay back the full amount.
    i recieved a form to fill in about my financial situation which i completed and sent back. on saturday i recieved another letter saying that a refund of charges has been agreed and they will send me an offer in the next 21 days!!!!
    i really can not believe it and had nearly given up hope. thankyou to martin and the team for all your help. fingers crossed its a good offer. x x
    Originally posted by emwil14
    what address did you send you letters to?
  • jowli
    B4 the Supreme court ruling i had sent numerous claims to Lloyds and was put on hold. I then put a calim in for hardship and heard nothing.

I followed Martins new approach. i sent a hardship claim in again 4th feb 2010 for £7858.52 including interest. Low and behold 8th Feb Lloyds sent me a letter saying they would look into my concerns and will let me know the outcome within 4 weeks.

Fingers crossed I will keep you updated.
    Originally posted by chants1981
    Hi, I was wondering what address you sent the letter to and also what exactly did you say?

thanks
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

607Posts Today

5,843Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin