Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mumofthetwins
    • By mumofthetwins 19th May 17, 8:34 AM
    • 880Posts
    • 3,813Thanks
    mumofthetwins
    silly tip thats working for me ..
    • 19th May 17, 8:34 AM
    silly tip thats working for me .. 19th May 17 at 8:34 AM
    Hi Guys

so some of you might remember I was on a few weeks ago saying that I was going to stick to 1 weekly shop (I was going nearly everyday and spending a fortune) .. well I have just about managed it and it is saving me a fortune ... all meals planned and shopping list in hand.

at first I was just buying my normal milk but found I have to pop back in for a milk and bread top up .. well last week I swapped to long life milk and just bought extra and put an extra loaf in the freezer which I have been using for toast straight from the freeze and the other "fresh" loaf for sarnies .. bang gone is that need for a mini top up mid week

I know this is proabaly really obvious to you guys but im oving it

Lisa x
    This time I'm sticking with it !!
    Oct /£300 3NSD
    PAD
    June £3362.78 July £1803.88 Aug £1895 Oct £483.77
Page 1
    • C J
    • By C J 19th May 17, 9:10 AM
    • 947 Posts
    • 5,471 Thanks
    C J
    • 19th May 17, 9:10 AM
    • 19th May 17, 9:10 AM
    Well done for taking control of your shopping this way! Those regular mini top up shops can really devastate a budget.

I keep a tub of Marvel (other brands are available) dried milk in the cupboard - this is very handy if I am running low on fresh milk but need to make a cheese sauce or some custard. I also add a little dried milk to bread dough or home made yogurt, so it's doubly useful to have.
    An ever-shifting labyrinth of chiaroscuro
    • elsien
    • By elsien 19th May 17, 9:16 AM
    • 15,289 Posts
    • 38,383 Thanks
    elsien
    • 19th May 17, 9:16 AM
    • 19th May 17, 9:16 AM
    Personally I'd rather either buy extra milk and freeze it or buy a top up. Long life milk has a funny taste to it that I'd prefer to avoid if possible.
    Whatever works for yo though.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • Livelongandprosper
    • By Livelongandprosper 19th May 17, 9:20 AM
    • 549 Posts
    • 1,636 Thanks
    Livelongandprosper
    • 19th May 17, 9:20 AM
    • 19th May 17, 9:20 AM
    Well done you

Yep those daily shopping trips are the way to blow the budget

The lass I work too is always claiming poverty but she just can't go into a shop for milk, she'll buy biscuits, a magazine, a sweet or toy for her children, a jar of jam etc etc , her pint of milk comes to £20 every day
    • Saver0811
    • By Saver0811 19th May 17, 9:53 AM
    • 52 Posts
    • 881 Thanks
    Saver0811
    • 19th May 17, 9:53 AM
    • 19th May 17, 9:53 AM
    I've been doing this for years, but low fat longlife milk in the fridge tastes much better and lasts a week opened. If you defrost slices of bread under a plate, they remain moist,
    Google is your friend.
    • Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 19th May 17, 9:56 AM
    • 2,362 Posts
    • 33,661 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    • 19th May 17, 9:56 AM
    • 19th May 17, 9:56 AM
    Well done - I am another one that can't just buy the item I have gone in for.

I make work sandwiches with frozen bread, it defrosts before lunchtime
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

NO-VEMBER GC £200/£164.83 that’s includes everything for breakfast, lunch, dinner for myself, DH, DS and sometime’s DD and 4 greedy cats
    • mumofthetwins
    • By mumofthetwins 19th May 17, 9:57 AM
    • 880 Posts
    • 3,813 Thanks
    mumofthetwins
    • 19th May 17, 9:57 AM
    • 19th May 17, 9:57 AM
    I've been doing this for years, but low fat longlife milk in the fridge tastes much better and lasts a week opened. If you defrost slices of bread under a plate, they remain moist,
    Originally posted by Saver0811
    Thanks for the bread tip hun .. I did wonder what it would be like defrosted

they guys are even saying how its fab because we always have loads of stuff in .. yay x
    This time I'm sticking with it !!
    Oct /£300 3NSD
    PAD
    June £3362.78 July £1803.88 Aug £1895 Oct £483.77
    • C J
    • By C J 19th May 17, 10:14 AM
    • 947 Posts
    • 5,471 Thanks
    C J
    • 19th May 17, 10:14 AM
    • 19th May 17, 10:14 AM
    I need to stop wasting bread. I like wholemeal and Mister CJ annoyingly only eats white bread so I'm buying two loaves a week which we obviously don't get through. I keep meaning to get organised and divide each loaf into thirds and freeze the slices, but never quite manage it.

This weekend, I will do it
    • Siebrie
    • By Siebrie 19th May 17, 10:19 AM
    • 974 Posts
    • 16,471 Thanks
    Siebrie
    • 19th May 17, 10:19 AM
    • 19th May 17, 10:19 AM
    I keep the old plastic bags the bread comes in, shake out the crumbs, make sure they are thoroughly dry. Immediately after buying a new loaf, I divide it in 2, and pop one half in the freezer in a reused bread bag. I usually buy 5 loaves at a time, so I have 1 half loaf in the cupboard or fridge, and 9 half loaves in the freezer. I reuse the bread bags until they develop holes.
    Still a womble 2017 #25 € 6849,49= £ 5815.67
    Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.483,31= £ 2,969.05
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 19th May 17, 10:25 AM
    • 15,493 Posts
    • 126,296 Thanks
    JackieO
    I changed to using LL milk about a year ago and now never bother with fresh milk at all.Its saves me chucking out milk as I have never had it go off and I always buy a box of half a dozen at a time which costs about £4.00 odd depending where I buy it.Only keep one carton at a time in the fridge open and the rest sits in the cupboard so I free up space in the fridge As I live alone a carton easily lasts me a week ,before I used to have to either bin milk or be making custards or puddings to use it up.

I make a point of menu planning every Sunday morning and using up the fresh stuff before buying anything else in.I shop about every 10 12 days ,or if I can about twice a month for fresh stuff fruit, veg etc. I don't eat bread so crackers store for without going off.I normally use a philly type spread on the crackers so rare need butter, although I keep some in the fridge for baking. My late OH used to call a top-up shop the five pound loaf as you would always get tempted by something else. I am more of a make do with what I have got in stock now than I used to be .I am not a lover of shopping much anyway I went last Saturday and have enough now to last at least another week to the end of the month. Different I guess if you have a house full of mouths to feed though
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
    • Linda32
    • By Linda32 19th May 17, 11:31 AM
    • 4,092 Posts
    • 9,083 Thanks
    Linda32
    I need to stop wasting bread. I like wholemeal and Mister CJ annoyingly only eats white bread so I'm buying two loaves a week which we obviously don't get through. I keep meaning to get organised and divide each loaf into thirds and freeze the slices, but never quite manage it.

This weekend, I will do it
    Originally posted by C J
    Hi, sorry to ask but you are not aiming to freeze each slice separately are you? It might just be the way I have read it That will take ages.

We always freeze half a loaf here. Take a handful of slices which is about half a loaf. Pop in food bag twist top and put a peg on it. Pop in the freezer. Job done. When you want the other half just take the frozen loaf out of the freezer. The bread defrosts just as it would be if bought fresh.
    • Shropshirelass
    • By Shropshirelass 19th May 17, 12:05 PM
    • 274 Posts
    • 3,178 Thanks
    Shropshirelass
    I also freeze sliced bread. OH likes white and I like brown, so I buy 1 of each and make up 4 mixed loaves. This will often last us the week out.
    I also buy LL milk, get 3 X pack of 6 every month. This makes up the cost of a delivery to over £40, so I get a cheap grocery delivery - never pay more than £1, which is cheaper than driving to the supermarket.
    • GreenQueen
    • By GreenQueen 19th May 17, 12:19 PM
    • 233 Posts
    • 535 Thanks
    GreenQueen
    We freeze our bread and take out as needed. Like Islandmaid, sandwiches made on frozen bread are fine by lunchtime - also have the advantage that the butter spreads more thinly on hard bread than fresh that pulls into holes.

We have a milkman who delivers three times a week, which is a bit more expensive per pint, but takes away the excuse to go to the shop - and has the environmental advantage of reuseable bottles.
    GQ
    • arbrighton
    • By arbrighton 19th May 17, 12:50 PM
    • 1,934 Posts
    • 1,789 Thanks
    arbrighton
    I just freeze the loaves and take it out as needed, and as long as they go in unsquashed the slices separate fine. Rewrap properly and it doesn't go stale. Make sandwich on frozen bread and it's perfecy by lunch time.
    Toast from frozen.

Long life milk though. Just NO. It's awful.
    • C J
    • By C J 19th May 17, 1:05 PM
    • 947 Posts
    • 5,471 Thanks
    C J
    Hi, sorry to ask but you are not aiming to freeze each slice separately are you? It might just be the way I have read it That will take ages.
    Originally posted by Linda32
    I was planning on freezing each loaf in small batches of a few slices each, separated by baking parchment from the pound shop. That way I can just take out as many or as few as I need each day for toast or sandwiches. I imagine if I freeze a whole sliced loaf it will stick all the slices together and it'll be all or nothing - right?
    • arbrighton
    • By arbrighton 19th May 17, 3:49 PM
    • 1,934 Posts
    • 1,789 Thanks
    arbrighton
    No, as long as it's not squashed the slices separate fine (or a knife wiggled between does it)
    • Linda32
    • By Linda32 19th May 17, 4:56 PM
    • 4,092 Posts
    • 9,083 Thanks
    Linda32
    No, the slices don't stick together. I know you would think they would but honestly they don't.

I wondered why you said you were waiting until the weekend which is why I thought you were separating each slice.

Frozen and then defrosted bread lasts about as long as it would if not frozen in the first place. I like bread very soft so I take out about three days worth. (Whatever that amount is in your home) It is about 1/2 a loaf here. So I freeze half at a time.

I promise the slices separate without baking parchment between each slice.
    • arbrighton
    • By arbrighton 19th May 17, 7:18 PM
    • 1,934 Posts
    • 1,789 Thanks
    arbrighton
    I'm in no way organised, so i just take it out as and when- it defrosts for a bacon buttie in the time it takes to cook the bacon for example
    • Redlady.....
    • By Redlady..... 20th May 17, 2:29 AM
    • 68 Posts
    • 470 Thanks
    Redlady.....
    I buy my milk and bread for the week whichever day I do my shop on.

I bought 3 fresh milks today which will take us up to next week-end. I search through until I find the longest date (only takes a couple of minutes). Today's had 30th May on them. Being doing that for years.
    • Lindlou
    • By Lindlou 20th May 17, 6:45 AM
    • 78 Posts
    • 638 Thanks
    Lindlou
    I buy milk and bread for the week too. Bread is frozen, milk lasts fine. The only problem I can see for a larger family is the storage space in the fridge...
    Never, ever give up........
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,911Posts Today

8,822Users online

Martin's Twitter