Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • evoke
    • By evoke 19th May 17, 3:08 PM
    • 1,259Posts
    • 778Thanks
    evoke
    Neighbour feeding noisy birds
    • 19th May 17, 3:08 PM
    Neighbour feeding noisy birds 19th May 17 at 3:08 PM
    My neighbour has attached three bird feeders to his side of my garden fence (left fence as you look at my garden from my house). They are screwed near to the top of the fencing panels.

This has attracted dozens upon dozens of very noisy birds from 4.30am this morning, when I was woken up by the noise.

The noise has continued throughout the day. I work from home so the noise has caused me a lack of concentration in my work, added to the tiredness caused by being woken up very early.

In addition to this, the birds perch on the top of my fencing panels as they take turns to feed and there is now a large amount of bird droppings on my fence and on my decking.

I generally get on very well with the family next door but this is causing me real issues now. The noise at times is literally unbearable. I'm going to have to find a way of cleaning my fencing panels and decking too, but don't want to do it until the bird feeders have been moved away from my property.

Am I being unreasonable if I were to ask my neighbour to move the bird feeders to the end of his garden or his garden fence?
    Everyone is entitled to my opinion!
Page 1
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 19th May 17, 3:12 PM
    • 15,297 Posts
    • 13,637 Thanks
    AdrianC
    • 19th May 17, 3:12 PM
    • 19th May 17, 3:12 PM
    No.

Would he be being unreasonable to decline your polite request? No.

Have you considered getting a cat?
    • pimento
    • By pimento 19th May 17, 3:14 PM
    • 5,203 Posts
    • 6,745 Thanks
    pimento
    • 19th May 17, 3:14 PM
    • 19th May 17, 3:14 PM
    Whose fence is it? By that I mean who paid to have it erected?

If you did, ask them to move the feeders. If your neighbour did then there's not a lot you can do except ask nicely.

We don't have bird feeders outside but the birds wake us up at first light, too.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -- Red Adair
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 19th May 17, 3:25 PM
    • 9,634 Posts
    • 12,150 Thanks
    hazyjo
    • 19th May 17, 3:25 PM
    • 19th May 17, 3:25 PM
    Big scarecrow your side of the fence? Cat outline on the top of the fence or nearby? Something with bells on (wind chime?) that might jingle or clank every time they are on the fence?

Loads of ideas on ebay - mainly reflective tape that scares them off: http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=bird+scar e&_sacat=0

Jx
    2017 wins: Opera tickets; film preview; lipstick; Ideal Home Show tickets + afternoon tea & bottle of Champagne; 2 cases of NKD; notebook; bath rack; books; film Premiere; Broadchurch DVDs; lipbalms; hamper (food/wine/Echo Dot/Jo Malone goodies); Avon lippies; cowhide rug; Windsor luxury break, foundation; Flybe flight
    • martinthebandit
    • By martinthebandit 19th May 17, 3:58 PM
    • 3,258 Posts
    • 5,527 Thanks
    martinthebandit
    • 19th May 17, 3:58 PM
    • 19th May 17, 3:58 PM
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Slingshot-Catapult-Powerful-Stainless-Predator/dp/B01LPNLPNQ/ref=sr_1_12?s=sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1495205872&sr=1-12&keywords=catapult

.....or shut your window
    Politics -
    from the words Poli, meaning many
    and tics meaning blood sucking parasites

(thanks to Kinky Friedman (or Larry Hardman) for the quote}
    • evoke
    • By evoke 19th May 17, 4:20 PM
    • 1,259 Posts
    • 778 Thanks
    evoke
    • 19th May 17, 4:20 PM
    • 19th May 17, 4:20 PM
    It's actually my fence. I've just spent 30 minutes scrubbing last night's bird droppings off it. It's never been this noisy with birds before.

I'll ask him and see what he says.

He's got the option to mount the bird feeders on his own fencing (left-hand side to him) or the end of his garden.
    Everyone is entitled to my opinion!
    • G_M
    • By G_M 19th May 17, 4:34 PM
    • 41,507 Posts
    • 47,906 Thanks
    G_M
    • 19th May 17, 4:34 PM
    • 19th May 17, 4:34 PM
    • unrecordings
    • By unrecordings 19th May 17, 5:44 PM
    • 191 Posts
    • 225 Thanks
    unrecordings
    • 19th May 17, 5:44 PM
    • 19th May 17, 5:44 PM
    tea and cake and a little white lie:

much as you love the birds, your neighbour won't be aware of the massive ginger tom you've seen lurking on your side of the fence
    • EachPenny
    • By EachPenny 19th May 17, 6:43 PM
    • 2,483 Posts
    • 4,136 Thanks
    EachPenny
    • 19th May 17, 6:43 PM
    • 19th May 17, 6:43 PM
    Have you considered getting a cat?
    Originally posted by AdrianC
    The birds will just sit on the fence laughing at the cat, resulting in more noise and poo.

A sparrowhawk would make a better pet.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
    • stef73
    • By stef73 19th May 17, 6:59 PM
    • 525 Posts
    • 269 Thanks
    stef73
    Pigeon tape on a stick fastened to your fence.
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 19th May 17, 7:00 PM
    • 13,673 Posts
    • 37,171 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    It's actually my fence. I've just spent 30 minutes scrubbing last night's bird droppings off it. It's never been this noisy with birds before.

I'll ask him and see what he says.

He's got the option to mount the bird feeders on his own fencing (left-hand side to him) or the end of his garden.
    Originally posted by evoke
    There's your answer then. As it's your fence then he's not allowed to attach anything to it (bird feeders or otherwise).

So GM's coffee/cakes accompanied by your concerns for your fence/how you hate and dont have the time for extra housework (ie the 30 minutes of your leisure time scrubbing the droppings off for him) and dropping in the fact that he's not allowed to attach them in a way that is too clear for him to ignore - but politely phrased.
    #MeToo
    • sevenhills
    • By sevenhills 19th May 17, 8:35 PM
    • 600 Posts
    • 222 Thanks
    sevenhills
    Originally posted by evoke
    I cant say that I have ever noticed noisy birds either, how bad can it be.
    • KxMx
    • By KxMx 19th May 17, 8:56 PM
    • 7,151 Posts
    • 10,004 Thanks
    KxMx
    Sounds like starlings & their babies.

This time of year they gather in large numbers where there is food, making a mess and a racket is quite normal for this group.

The babies squawk constantly and flap around, parents answer, fight with others etc.

The noise is indeed quite incredible!

In a few weeks they'll have separated from parents and you shouldn't get such numbers in.
    Last edited by KxMx; 19-05-2017 at 9:00 PM.
    • rjwr
    • By rjwr 19th May 17, 9:11 PM
    • 296 Posts
    • 195 Thanks
    rjwr
    enjoy the birds. many people dying of something or other would love to be able to wake up and enjoy them
    But never spend money you don't have to buy things you don't want to impress people you don't like.
    Originally posted by kidmugsy
    • KxMx
    • By KxMx 19th May 17, 9:25 PM
    • 7,151 Posts
    • 10,004 Thanks
    KxMx
    That's unfair.

I'm a bird lover and feed the birds, always happy to see them.

However, I withdraw the food for a few days when the starling numbers reach over 30, all squawking, flapping, droppings everywhere, it even gets to the stage that the birds are flying into the windows, my small garden simply can't cope!

Also, they are such a noisy, intimidating mob that none of the wood pigeons, doves, robins, tits will come anywhere near.

Withdrawing the food means they go elsewhere, and don't tend to come back.
    Last edited by KxMx; 19-05-2017 at 9:31 PM.
    • patman99
    • By patman99 19th May 17, 9:44 PM
    • 8,061 Posts
    • 9,476 Thanks
    patman99
    As it is your fence, attach sticks to the posts and run bunting between the sticks. This will keep the birds off your fence.

Meanwhile, tell the nieghbour that he must remove his birdfeeders from your fence as he has not gained your permission to use your fence to mount them on.
    Never Knowingly Understood.

Member #1 of £1,000 challenge - £494.94/ £1000 (that's 49.49%)

3-6 month EF £240.61/£3600 (that's 4 days worth)

Do you/your spouse earn less than £197 p/w ?. Fill-in Form R85 and get your Bank interest Tax free.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 19th May 17, 10:21 PM
    • 23,350 Posts
    • 88,974 Thanks
    Davesnave
    I'm a bird lover and feed the birds, always happy to see them.

However, I withdraw the food for a few days when the starling numbers reach over 30.
    Originally posted by KxMx
    We don't know it's starlings; they're just 'birds.'

And the decking is just decking, till the spilt seed attracts rats, and then it's a great hidey hole for them.

The neighbour may not be aware that the birds are annoying you and
    leaving droppings all over your hard landscaping, so it's perfectly reasonable to explain how you feel and suggest a re-location of the feeders. However, even away from your fence, it's likely that the queues will still form there and the neighbour probably considers they're doing nothing anti-social.

Birds are noisy at this time of year, kicking-off as soon as its's slightly light. I love it. Special time of year for me.

But just be grateful I'm not next door, because my cockerel has just persuaded one of the hens to crow too, so now they have a battle each morning with the cockerel in the smallholding across the valley, competing with each other, and him!

I don't let them know it's daylight till around 06.30 though. There are limits, even here in the wild West Country!.
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
    • Ray Singh-Blue
    • By Ray Singh-Blue 19th May 17, 10:43 PM
    • 340 Posts
    • 436 Thanks
    Ray Singh-Blue
    Fit a 500W security light on your property, such that it points directly into your neighbours bedroom window, and is activated by the first wingflap of dawn
    • KxMx
    • By KxMx 20th May 17, 1:25 AM
    • 7,151 Posts
    • 10,004 Thanks
    KxMx
    We don't know it's starlings; they're just 'birds.'
    Originally posted by Davesnave
    From the clues OP posted, I'm confident it is starlings.
    Exact right time of year for starling babies being out of nest but dependent on parents.
    They gather in large, very noisy groups.
    Return to feed multiple times a day starting early.
    " noise unbearable"
    "never been this noisy with birds before".

I don't know any other common bird species that mob together like starlings do. Nor any which make anywhere so much noise.

In my own garden, the only other noise (excluding bird song 'cause that is lovely) I get from birds is when 2 wood pigeons decide to slap their wings at each other in a fight.

To my mind, if bird noise is classed as unbearable then it has to be Starlings. Has to be heard to be believed this time of year when the groups get large

I can also tell some posters haven't had the pleasure of a starling adult/baby mob
    Last edited by KxMx; 20-05-2017 at 1:30 AM.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 20th May 17, 6:56 AM
    • 23,350 Posts
    • 88,974 Thanks
    Davesnave
    I can also tell some posters haven't had the pleasure of a starling adult/baby mob
    Originally posted by KxMx
    Then here's a rather bad picture of some in my 'garden,' but before the babies:
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

133Posts Today

2,323Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin