Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Kittencat
    • By Kittencat 5th Feb 17, 2:51 PM
    • 631Posts
    • 3,964Thanks
    Kittencat
    Village life
    • 5th Feb 17, 2:51 PM
    Village life 5th Feb 17 at 2:51 PM
    I feel I need a diary!

We have had a difficult 6 months but that will change as you will read below.

Short story - We sold our house 6 months ago and bought an older house in a small village on the outskirts of the town. The house needed work, but not as much as we thought. We were told by our builders that it would take 3 months and 6 months later we are still living with my parents in a very small house.

We = Husband, myself and little girl.

Builder has told us it will be another 6 weeks, we are OK with this as it's realistic and he has been fobbing us of far too long now.

As much as I really appriciate my mum and dad putting us up, rent free, it is really hard. We are in one bedroom, us on a sofa bed and little one on her mattress on the floor beside us. I do feel I have to bite my tongue a lot of the time. I really need my space and own home back now. Everything has been on hold for far too long.

I was going to start a diary when we move but I feel the need to do it now.
    All our belongings are in storage, if we had known we would still be with my parents 6 months on then we would have found somewhere to rent. We really miss our family time together, just the 3 of us!

I need to stop moaning and get on with it. Our life is a good one, we are a happy family and very close.

Money was really good before we bought the old house (have you seen the film 'Money Pit'?). We have the money for the refirbishment £31,000. All our savings and £12,000 Loan from family member. We also have a £25,000 Tesco loan on 3% apr over 7 years which was instead of increasing our mortgage. We have never had big debt before and it scares me if I'm honest. We have good money coming in but I feel we can't do anything until we are in our own home.

More later........ need a cup of tea.
    Last edited by Kittencat; 05-02-2017 at 2:53 PM.
Page 3
    • Bobarella
    • By Bobarella 8th Mar 17, 7:55 PM
    • 10,444 Posts
    • 69,018 Thanks
    Bobarella
    Good to hear the kitchen is going well. End of march will be here before you know it! How lovely to have such a big amazing thing to look forward to!
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe"

Debt neutral 27/03/17 from £40k in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
    • Kittencat
    • By Kittencat 1st May 17, 9:09 AM
    • 631 Posts
    • 3,964 Thanks
    Kittencat
    Well end of March didn't happen!!

Carpets are going in upstairs today....yeah! Decorating is half done. Boiler has been installed. Builder is just finishing off little things now. WE ARE MOVING IN ON THURSDAY!! It's been a long hard emotional 9 months.

I haven't updated for a while (I pop in everyday to catch up on diaries though) . Money is all over the place so I will update all that when we get settled and then watch out money saving we are on our way!!

BTW I'm never doing a renovation ever again!!!
    May 2017 ..... debt was £37,000..
    June 17' - we now owe £34,500.
    • Bobarella
    • By Bobarella 1st May 17, 10:12 PM
    • 10,444 Posts
    • 69,018 Thanks
    Bobarella
    Horray to moving in on Thursday!

• Kittencat
    • By Kittencat 2nd May 17, 7:06 PM
    • 631 Posts
    • 3,964 Thanks
    Kittencat
    OMG!!!!!

We have a leak coming through the kitchen ceiling. ?bathroom.

I'm now panicking!!
    • Bobarella
    • By Bobarella 2nd May 17, 10:31 PM
    • 10,444 Posts
    • 69,018 Thanks
    Bobarella
    Oh no, leaks are a pain. What have you found out so far about the source?

• Kittencat
    • By Kittencat 3rd May 17, 5:26 PM
    • 631 Posts
    • 3,964 Thanks
    Kittencat
    Hi Bob

Well they have investigated the leak and unable to find anything. Builder is happy with the plumbing etc so who knows. If anything happens in the future at least builder is aware and he will sort it.

The house is just about ready for tomorrow, we are really excited now. Removals are bringing all our stored items (which is everything we own) around midday. Builder is working late tonight to finish electrics and he will be there in the morning also. Decorator is also there until late tonight and will finish a few things in the morning.

I can't wait to get in, unpack and start our lives again......9months with parents have taken its toll.
    • Bobarella
    • By Bobarella 3rd May 17, 11:41 PM
    • 10,444 Posts
    • 69,018 Thanks
    Bobarella
    Good luck with moving day tommorow!

• Kittencat
    • By Kittencat 19th May 17, 8:39 PM
    • 631 Posts
    • 3,964 Thanks
    Kittencat
    So we are in!!

Been in now for 2 weeks, builders and painter have been here every day since we moved in......until 6pm!! Today is the first day they have not been here, although today BT came to fit phone line and connect Internet and we had a new garage door fitted (electric wow).

Mopping and dusting everyday but we are getting there and the house is LOVELY!! Even though it was a long 9 months the workmanship is all high quality. Our kitchen is fab. I've never had a big kitchen. It''s 9 steps from sink to the fridge (I think that novality will wear off soon). Still a lot to do to the house but at least we are now living here. The village is just so nice. Neighbours seem lovely.

We are off on holidays tomorrow...in this country. Going for a week. Cheapish holiday to one of those caravan parks with children's entertainment. It will be payday when we are away then the money saving begins.

It's nice to be in control again and to watch what we want on TV. Little one has settled really well she loves her pink bedroom.

I will catch up soon.

Xx
    • Bobarella
    • By Bobarella 20th May 17, 12:55 AM
    • 10,444 Posts
    • 69,018 Thanks
    Bobarella
    So glad all is going well!! Enjoy your house.

• Kittencat
    • By Kittencat 21st May 17, 8:02 AM
    • 631 Posts
    • 3,964 Thanks
    Kittencat
    Well we are on holidays. We are in a Hoburne caravan park which I must say seems more upmarket than the others we have been to. The caravan is GORGEOUS. I've looked at the weather this week and it looks nice all week, so lots of walks and swimming everyday for the little one. The area we are in is where the money is, it's beautiful with HUGE houses. Lots of dreaming this week I think!
    We have been very MSE so far. We popped in to a supermarket (Mr T) yesterday and bought a weeks shop. Normally we would eat out when on holidays but this week will be different. We have sandwich making stuff for days out. We will have the odd Mccd, and one evening meal out but the rest will be made. Myself and hubby cook so it will be shared. I even managed a run yesterday when hubby cooked evening meal and then myself and little one did some yoga on the decking of the caravan (all made up as I've only been to yoga once).
    Today will be swimming, food in caravan, walk in woods looking for the gruffalo then children's entertainment this evening. We are so rock and roll! I have to admit though I feel so relaxed.
    Catch up later xx
    Last edited by Kittencat; 21-05-2017 at 1:25 PM.
    • Kittencat
    • By Kittencat 29th May 17, 8:04 AM
    • 631 Posts
    • 3,964 Thanks
    Kittencat
    So we had a lovely holiday, the weather was amazing. It felt like we were abroad!

Back home and now the debt busting begins.

Yesterday was all about sorting holiday laundry and catching up on normal laundry. I woke at 5.30am did 2 lots of washing, hung out on the line ( had to use the garden shears to find the line mind......took 20 mins) did some ironing and emptied a box all before the little one got up. She normally wakes at 6.30am but was exhausted after the hols and final woke up at 7.50am, I had to go and check on her about 10 time's to see if she was OK.

Then family came over as my little princess turned 5 when we were away. My mother brought a little buffet with her...bless!
    DD gets spoilt by both sides of family, she is the only granddaughter on both sides (all grown up boys) and she took 9 years to arrive. With all the toys that went into storage during the renovation and the extra toys that has been bought over the last 9 months whilst we have been living with my parents and birthday toys I am having a bit of a nightmare as to where they will live. I need a sort out when she is not with me (which is never).

Bank holiday today and in laws are coming down, they live an hour away so will be here all day. I will make a roast dinner as we didn't have one yesterday and we need our veg as we didn't get much on holidays. Will take a trip to lidl for a top up shop this morning I think.

As for debt busting, we have £2000 left in savings but we haven't finished paying the builder. We desperately need wardrobes, the builder is in no rush for the rest of the money, which is good because he hasn't finished things yet. So his week we will take a trip to ikea. We are using a fabric wardrobe at the moment and it's doing my head in.
    We owe £25000 on a tesco loan (upping the morgage and renovation), £12000 (extra money for renovation) to the inlaws. So in total we owe £37000!!! This is guess work, will check amounts later.

We can get rid of this quiet quickly I think. We have never been in debt before, we don't have a spending problem. We can save each month but with paying in laws £500 a month and trying to furnish this house we will have to be really good.
    we also have the garden to do and the house needs rendering, the money for that will be from my DH's endowment that is coming out in August.

This has turned into an essay of my lifes story........sorry.

From here on in this diary will be a money saving diary.
    Last edited by Kittencat; 01-06-2017 at 5:31 PM.
    • Kittencat
    • By Kittencat 29th May 17, 8:09 AM
    • 631 Posts
    • 3,964 Thanks
    Kittencat
    My biggest problem is meal times. I'm useless at cooking and lack imagination. I want to batch cook so will look into forums for this I think.
    • Eager_Elephant
    • By Eager_Elephant 29th May 17, 9:41 AM
    • 3,969 Posts
    • 21,038 Thanks
    Eager_Elephant
    Just found your diary and had a quick read - I think the Village Life title grabbed my attention as I also live in a village although nothing much happens. I would love to live in a slightly bigger village where things happen!!

I also have an allotment (and so does DH), well actually I am chair of the allotments - they are fab. This is the 3rd year of them being in use as they had not been used for quite a few years and were all overgrown.
    We also have quite a large garden so the more delicate stuff like tomatoes, French beans etc are planted in the garden.

With regard to batch cooking - I have never done true batch cooking (where you make loads of meals all in one day and freeze them for later use) but I will often make a lasagne which will do 2 days or even spaghetti Bolognese which will last 2 days.

Nowadays I don't cook on week days as DD eats at school (she us 14) and DH works in a school and gets a 2 course lunch) so I just cook on Fridays (omelette, chips and salad) and Saturdays. Sundays is always roast. if I am off work or its a bank holiday I will cook.

Have a look at the Old Style boards for inspiration.

Of the top of my head I think mince are fab as you can mix and match so you make your basic mince base (mince, onions, leeks, carrots, herbs, tomatoes) and then add what you want to it. So the basic mince sauce with spaghetti is spag bol, or mixed with pasta and then baked gives you a pasta bake (for added yumness put a cheese sauce on top or through it), you could also do lasagne with the same base.
    Or add kidney beans (or other beans if anyone doesn't like kidney beans) and serve with rice to make chilli.

The same can be done with chicken although to be honest we mainly have chicken as a roast or we buy chicken thighs (deboned) to make fajitas or curry.
    Ninja Saving Turtle No. 4 for July
    NSD - 11/16
    (up to 21/7/17)
    My Diary is here - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2175629 (Eager Elephants Effective Everyday Excursion)
    • Kittencat
    • By Kittencat 1st Jun 17, 5:29 PM
    • 631 Posts
    • 3,964 Thanks
    Kittencat
    Thanks Elephant for popping in. I went over to the old style thread and it's fab, lots to look at. I'm fine at the cottage pies and spag bols but that's my limit I'm afraid, but I will learn.

Well everything is slowly settling down. Garden is such a mess, it's a bees paradise (I love bees) but sadly not child friendly so that's our next mission and the rendering of the whole house. Still have no wardrobes and living out of boxes. Had a clean out of little ones toys and give 3 big boxes to the charity shop. Wasn't worth the time and effort to put on the buy and sell site.

Good news we had 2 estate agents around to value the house now it's nearly finished. We were worried that we had over spent what the house is worth. We bought for £182,000 and it's now worth £235,000 with the rendering done. We have spend approx £40,000 so we are well chuffed!!

Just back from a run, it's gorgeous here, the ountryside is just amazing. I had to stop at one point (mainly as I couldn't breath) just to look over the fields. I hope I never tire of this. This morning whilst in the car, on the drive, a cat run passed with a baby rabbit in its mouth.....nature's cruel and I have to get used to this.

Nothing much goes on in this village but we are only 3 miles away from a town so it's not really rural.

Update on money........poor! We have payed £500 to inlaw's leaving that loan at £11,000. Tesco loan is now at £23,000 is (can't remember the few pounds at the end).

We have £3,200 in saving but the builder hasn't given us our last bill (may be a while as he still has little jobs to finish and we are not paying the rest until he has done so).
    We need to order wardrobes this weekend out of this money, nothing expensive, probably go for ikea ones.

Better go have that shower.

Bye for now xx
    • emmie26
    • By emmie26 2nd Jun 17, 3:28 PM
    • 440 Posts
    • 1,443 Thanks
    emmie26
    I remember the constant spending of getting everywhere finished off, but when you have been living out of boxes for so long it is really important psychologically to get everywhere finished isn't it.

Once it's all looking lovely you will feel really motivated to get saving I'm sure.

We got loads of furniture from IKEA including wardrobes and they have been fab, my daughters bedroom was completely knitted out from IKEA and when people first saw it they thought it was amazing, so definitely didn't look cheap.

Total Debt: £24,359.79 £22,182
    debt reduced by 9%
    Debt free date: May 2019
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 2nd Jun 17, 3:46 PM
    • 3,692 Posts
    • 6,663 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    Just read through your diary and pleased you now back in your home. House renovations are so disruptive especially with a child. You seem to have a good grip on your spending so I am sure the debt will soon be repaid.

We live out in the countryside too on the edge of a small town. I love it.
    Debt and mortgage free and saving for early retirement
    • pennywisepoundstupid
    • By pennywisepoundstupid 2nd Jun 17, 4:37 PM
    • 4,188 Posts
    • 12,395 Thanks
    pennywisepoundstupid
    Hi Kittencat, loving your diary and so pleased you are now in your own place and all settled. We lived with parents for a short time between houses and it's stressful not having your own things and not being able to fully relax.

I also live out in the country, but not in a village just a tiny hamlet(6 miles from nearest town) and nothing ever happens, but I like it that way.

I've subscribed and will keep popping in to see how your doing.
    Be mindful of your self-talk. It's a conversation with the Universe."
    Dave Ramsey babystep 1-£1000 Emergency fund- save £250/£200[/COLOR]
    School uniform £250/£250
    Save for summer £500/£370
    • Bobarella
    • By Bobarella 2nd Jun 17, 6:11 PM
    • 10,444 Posts
    • 69,018 Thanks
    Bobarella
    Your savings will mount up again. It's totally understandable that they are so depleted at the moment.

• Kittencat
    • By Kittencat 4th Jun 17, 4:29 PM
    • 631 Posts
    • 3,964 Thanks
    Kittencat
    Thank you guys for popping in.

Bit of a nightmare here at the moment, DH was doing some DIY yesterday lunchtime and the knife he was using to cut something slipped and ended up in his thumb. Straight to a&e, where he is known as he is a Paramedic, lots of laughs from the Dr's and nurses but he has ended up in the burns and plastic's hospital an hour's drive away. He has cut through the tendons and needs an operation. He is on the list for today but they are running behind so looks like tomorrow now. Didn't get back from the hospital until after midnight and with little one up at 6am I'm shattered. DD is a little ball of energy at the moment, she doesn't stop. Parents have arrived and have taken her to the park and a walk around the wood's and what do I do........come on here when I should have a nap!!
    DD is back in school tomorrow and I didn't realise how much energy they get rid of in school until half term gets here.

Catch up later guys

Xx
    • Bobarella
    • By Bobarella 4th Jun 17, 7:41 PM
    • 10,444 Posts
    • 69,018 Thanks
    Bobarella
    Gosh your poor husband. Really hope he gets the op soon.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,027Posts Today

7,662Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin