Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mamt35
    • By mamt35 18th May 17, 8:17 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    mamt35
    child benefit post office card account
    • 18th May 17, 8:17 PM
    child benefit post office card account 18th May 17 at 8:17 PM
    Please help

Ive always kept child benefit seperate from our main bank account (because of bills, charges, things that may impact on it being available for the children) I have two young children (and some grown ones lol), one is diasabled and home educated. I have a post office card account for child benefit, I started it years ago when my two older ones were young and the old child benefit books stopped. I like it that way, i always know if they need new shoes, or clothes, or a payment for a trip etc, its there and I can go and get it out, no direct debits, or debit cards or anything can take money. But I keep getting letters from government offices saying I must change to bank...I keep putting it off, I really dont want to I spoke to post office and they say that there is no reason to change...but im really worried that if I dont they will stop payments. Does anyone know legal rights ? Thanks for any help/advice x
    Last edited by mamt35; 18-05-2017 at 8:19 PM.
Page 1
    • Stop Watch
    • By Stop Watch 18th May 17, 8:53 PM
    • 83 Posts
    • 207 Thanks
    Stop Watch
    • 18th May 17, 8:53 PM
    • 18th May 17, 8:53 PM
    Open another basic bank account whats the problem?
    • IAmWales
    • By IAmWales 18th May 17, 9:14 PM
    • 1,867 Posts
    • 3,865 Thanks
    IAmWales
    • 18th May 17, 9:14 PM
    • 18th May 17, 9:14 PM
    The contract for the Post Office Card Account is effective until 2021. You don't have to change, the DWP are asking you to because it costs them significantly more to send payments to those accounts.

It is your choice, but if you have an account elsewhere already it would take minutes to open an additional basic one. If you have online banking you may be able to do it on there.
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 18th May 17, 11:34 PM
    • 23,666 Posts
    • 13,792 Thanks
    xylophone
    • 18th May 17, 11:34 PM
    • 18th May 17, 11:34 PM
    Perhaps a Yorkshire Building Society Internet Saver would suit you - you earn a small amount of interest and have an ATM card which permits you to draw up to £200 a day.

http://www.ybs.co.uk/savings/online/internet-saver.html
    • mamt35
    • By mamt35 19th May 17, 8:50 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    mamt35
    • 19th May 17, 8:50 PM
    • 19th May 17, 8:50 PM
    I do not want another bank account (I though id already said that before in the first post. I like my childrens money kept completely seperate, ive had enough of banks and their charges) I want to keep things the way they are, I live in a small village, my post office is nearby, there are no charges, there is no standing orders/ direct debits allowed. I know that money is there and I can get it out for the children at any time, I dont see why I should have to change anything at all. Thank-you for the one reply that at least told me I can at least keep it this way until 2021
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 19th May 17, 11:42 PM
    • 23,666 Posts
    • 13,792 Thanks
    xylophone
    • 19th May 17, 11:42 PM
    • 19th May 17, 11:42 PM
    What a rude and aggressive reply!

Nobody said that you had to change!

I made a suggestion and for your information, the Yorkshire Building Society is not a bank, does not make charges, would enable you to keep the money separate as you could choose to have the benefit paid into it - it would also pay you a small amount of interest and would give you an ATM card which would permit you to draw out money as required!
    Last edited by xylophone; 20-05-2017 at 7:10 AM. Reason: typo
    • MHOWARD
    • By MHOWARD 20th May 17, 12:49 AM
    • 57 Posts
    • 69 Thanks
    MHOWARD
    • 20th May 17, 12:49 AM
    • 20th May 17, 12:49 AM
    What a rude and aggressive reply!

Nobody said that you had to change!

I made a suggestion and for your information, the Yorkshire Building Society is not a bank, does not make charges, would enable you to keep the money separate as you could choose to have the benefit paid into it - it would also pay you a small amount of interest and would give you an ARM card which would permit you to draw out money as required!
    Originally posted by xylophone
    I have a current account that does not charge as well as a basic bank account that does not make charges. I can also pay in and withdraw at post offices if i wanted to.
    But how dare you suggest such a thing to the op, you should be ashamed
    • Darksparkle
    • By Darksparkle 20th May 17, 7:47 AM
    • 4,718 Posts
    • 2,980 Thanks
    Darksparkle
    • 20th May 17, 7:47 AM
    • 20th May 17, 7:47 AM
    I thought the point of POCA was that it was for those who found it hard to get another bank account.
    • sammyjammy
    • By sammyjammy 20th May 17, 8:53 AM
    • 4,236 Posts
    • 4,585 Thanks
    sammyjammy
    • 20th May 17, 8:53 AM
    • 20th May 17, 8:53 AM
    A basic bank account with the COOP will enable you to use the card at the Post Office should you need to change.

The DWP should be applauded for encouraging customers to use an account that costs the tax payer less money to credit but ti sounds as if the letter is misleadingly worded.
    "You've been reading SOS when it's just your clock reading 5:05 "
    • fredandwilma
    • By fredandwilma 20th May 17, 12:09 PM
    • 1,071 Posts
    • 1,428 Thanks
    fredandwilma
    Hi mamt35

As far as i'm aware, there has been no change to this contract, so you can continue to use your Post Office Card Account which should remain available until at least November 2021:

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/post-office-service-for-pensioners-and-benefit-claimants-to-be-safeguarded-with-new-government-contract

A new £250 million 7 year contract, which will protect a key service for vulnerable pensioners and benefit claimants as well as help safeguard the future of the Post Office network, has been agreed by the government.

DWP Minister Steve Webb has announced in Parliament today the signing of a new deal with Post Office Limited to ensure the Post Office Card Account remains available until at least November 2021. The service was previously due to be withdrawn in March 2015.

It's just an effort by the DWP who keep sending these letters, to make you think you have to change?
    Fred - Where's your get up and go?

Barney - It just got up and went.

Carpe diem
    • mamt35
    • By mamt35 20th May 17, 10:57 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    mamt35
    Sorry, I didnt mean to sound rude at all :/ I had trouble getting the one bank account I do have, I really would just rather keep things the way they are at the moment, and hopefully can at least do that for a few more years. Thank-you for the advice.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

245Posts Today

1,357Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• RT @thismorning: With his last deals of the year, @MartinSLewis wishes us all a 'very merry Christmas, a happy Hanukkah and a wonderful and?

• RT @stoneygran: @MartinSLewis I furtively used a pub toilet last night before getting on the bus and felt really guilty!

• Follow Martin