Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • cyclonebri1
    • By cyclonebri1 19th May 17, 4:04 PM
    • 12,523Posts
    • 5,171Thanks
    cyclonebri1
    Transfer from DLA to PIP for older folks?
    • 19th May 17, 4:04 PM
    Transfer from DLA to PIP for older folks? 19th May 17 at 4:04 PM
    I haven't looked at this lately but 2 years back I expected a letter saying I would be re-assessed for PIP as over 60.
    No letter.
    Now I'm only months from 65.

My question is have any people had to reapply very close to 65?
    I like the thanks button, but ,please, an I agree button.

Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.

Always expect the unexpectedand then you won't be dissapointed
Page 1
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 19th May 17, 4:56 PM
    • 7,798 Posts
    • 1,798 Thanks
    50Twuncle
    • 19th May 17, 4:56 PM
    • 19th May 17, 4:56 PM
    I haven't looked at this lately but 2 years back I expected a letter saying I would be re-assessed for PIP as over 60.
    No letter.
    Now I'm only months from 65.

My question is have any people had to reapply very close to 65?
    Originally posted by cyclonebri1
    I would say that it is up to DWP to contact you to give you any updates
    I am 53 and still waiting for the transfer to happen (I have not been told anything) - there are millions still waiting for anything
    So - Sit back, stop worrying and wait
    At age 65 - you will need to apply for attendance allowance in any case
    https://www.gov.uk/attendance-allowance
    Last edited by 50Twuncle; 19-05-2017 at 4:58 PM.
    • sleepless saver
    • By sleepless saver 19th May 17, 6:47 PM
    • 2,663 Posts
    • 2,392 Thanks
    sleepless saver
    • 19th May 17, 6:47 PM
    • 19th May 17, 6:47 PM
    At age 65 - you will need to apply for attendance allowance in any case
    https://www.gov.uk/attendance-allowance
    Originally posted by 50Twuncle
    Not if you're already getting DLA or PIP when you hit 65.
    • Mrs_Ryan
    • By Mrs_Ryan 20th May 17, 12:22 AM
    • 10,244 Posts
    • 18,655 Thanks
    Mrs_Ryan
    • 20th May 17, 12:22 AM
    • 20th May 17, 12:22 AM
    My mum is 67 and she's just been moved from DLA to PIP. She had a life award of HRC and HRM and she was moved fairly seamlessly to Enhanced Care and Mobility PIP although she was lucky.
    Very proud to be Open University BA (Hons) English Lang and Lit Graduate! ❤️DMU MA English begins 09/17
    WFC and pleased to be sponsor for the 2nd season ❤️ 🐝
    Will always miss you Elle and will never forget you, brightest star in the sky 😢
    • Cyclamen
    • By Cyclamen 20th May 17, 9:17 AM
    • 396 Posts
    • 399 Thanks
    Cyclamen
    • 20th May 17, 9:17 AM
    • 20th May 17, 9:17 AM
    My Dads DLA to PIP letter came through about 6 months before his 65th Birthday. It all went smoothly.
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 20th May 17, 1:02 PM
    • 7,798 Posts
    • 1,798 Thanks
    50Twuncle
    • 20th May 17, 1:02 PM
    • 20th May 17, 1:02 PM
    Make sure that if/when you do get your PIP. - that they backdate the difference in payments
    PIP rates are higher than DLA
    • pmlindyloo
    • By pmlindyloo 20th May 17, 1:07 PM
    • 10,742 Posts
    • 12,624 Thanks
    pmlindyloo
    • 20th May 17, 1:07 PM
    • 20th May 17, 1:07 PM
    Make sure that if/when you do get your PIP. - that they backdate the difference in payments
    PIP rates are higher than DLA
    There is no backdating when transferring from DLA to PIP. Backdating is only for new claims.

In fact DLA remains in payment for about 3/4 weeks from decision date of PIP.

Winners and losers............
    • cyclonebri1
    • By cyclonebri1 21st May 17, 5:42 PM
    • 12,523 Posts
    • 5,171 Thanks
    cyclonebri1
    • 21st May 17, 5:42 PM
    • 21st May 17, 5:42 PM
    I get what you guys are saying, to be honest I think my award is correct. Not looking for more or fearing less.

At the back of my mind however is the snippet that if you have DLA at age 65 then you keep it from then on, well that is how it used to work but I admit, I am hopelessly out of touch.

Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.

• Cyclamen
    • By Cyclamen 22nd May 17, 7:33 AM
    • 396 Posts
    • 399 Thanks
    Cyclamen
    • 22nd May 17, 7:33 AM
    • 22nd May 17, 7:33 AM
    Cyclone..

I am not certain but I think that the 'have it at 65 and keep it rule' has changed with PIP and they will reassess again as they see fit. I know with DLA they leave you in peace but dont think they do with PIP
    • C.C.L.
    • By C.C.L. 22nd May 17, 11:33 AM
    • 352 Posts
    • 255 Thanks
    C.C.L.
    I had my change over from DLA to PIP in January aged 67. I was on indefinate high rate for both components on DLA. I was awarded standard PIP for both until December 2020.
    I think the only ones who will maybe be left alone are the ones who have had an 'ongoing' award, but that can change as we are all aware.
    So in answer to your question cyclonebri1if you are awarded PIP than no you don't automatically keep it after 65.
    • cyclonebri1
    • By cyclonebri1 22nd May 17, 5:51 PM
    • 12,523 Posts
    • 5,171 Thanks
    cyclonebri1
    Hi guys,
    I was just informed that if by 65 you weren't reassessed from DLA to PIP then that was it, you didn't get the letter again.

The paperwork clearly says they are dealing with those aged 63 to 65 and will do before my 65th birthday.

I'm worried no more than all of us do as more elderly folks, ie, as you get older you worry more and want the answers in front of you with no shocks,

• C.C.L.
    • By C.C.L. 23rd May 17, 1:47 PM
    • 352 Posts
    • 255 Thanks
    C.C.L.
    Yes it does. My award is until 2020, but it's December 2020 and it says on the award letter that I will be re-assessed anytime after December 2019.
    Like I said previously the only ones that probably won't are those whose awards say 'ongoing' but that could mean anything knowing the DWP.
    Last edited by MSE ForumTeam5; 26-05-2017 at 11:29 AM. Reason: Quoting deleted post
    • nannytone
    • By nannytone 23rd May 17, 5:42 PM
    • 12,193 Posts
    • 18,101 Thanks
    nannytone
    DLA had lifetime/indefinite awards.
    these didn't mean that a claimant would never be reassessed, but that there was no timescale for reassessment.

i have been on DLA for 21 years and have never been reassessed.

PIP awards are time limited, and everyone that claims them will be given a timescale of 1 year unto 10 years.

one of the biggest problems with DLA is that regular assessments were not carried out and relied on people informing the DWP if their condition improved.
    many didn't bother.

i have a condition that cannot improve but approve of time limited benefit awards
    • C.C.L.
    • By C.C.L. 23rd May 17, 10:00 PM
    • 352 Posts
    • 255 Thanks
    C.C.L.
    Yes I'll be 70 when I'm first due to be assessed. It states it quite clearly on the award notice. I don't agree with it for the older claimants but that's how it is.I've been on DLA since 1995, on a lifetime award (that's what it said originally, for life) but then indefinate.
    I was re-assessed in 2009 under what they call the right payment programme and my care component was increased from middle to high so even before PIP they still assessed some who had lifetime awards.
    Last edited by MSE ForumTeam5; 26-05-2017 at 11:25 AM. Reason: Quoting deleted post
    • cyclonebri1
    • By cyclonebri1 24th May 17, 1:56 PM
    • 12,523 Posts
    • 5,171 Thanks
    cyclonebri1
    DLA had lifetime/indefinite awards.
    these didn't mean that a claimant would never be reassessed, but that there was no timescale for reassessment.

i have been on DLA for 21 years and have never been reassessed.

PIP awards are time limited, and everyone that claims them will be given a timescale of 1 year unto 10 years.

one of the biggest problems with DLA is that regular assessments were not carried out and relied on people informing the DWP if their condition improved.
    many didn't bother.

i have a condition that cannot improve but approve of time limited benefit awards
    Originally posted by nannytone
    I'm with you all the way. I've had DLA for 10 years now, given the indefinite award due to no possibility of significant recovery. Not been reassessed although as still of working age, just. I still claim ESA. I've been through that reassessment twice since the original award with no issues. Of course that will end shortly.

The point is I expected that, my post here was to see if after 65 there would be no more interviews.

Am I worried, NO, well yes I do as I get older, everything I control is sorted, the things I can't I worry about.

• nannytone
    • By nannytone 24th May 17, 2:48 PM
    • 12,193 Posts
    • 18,101 Thanks
    nannytone
    why?

they want the extra money but shouldn't have to prove entitlement?

at least with regular reviews, the system is fair for all.

why should someone be treated differently just because they are older?
    surely they would find that patronising?
    i know i would
    Last edited by MSE ForumTeam5; 26-05-2017 at 11:26 AM. Reason: Quoting deleted post
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 24th May 17, 3:23 PM
    • 7,798 Posts
    • 1,798 Thanks
    50Twuncle
    why?

they want the extra money but shouldn't have to prove entitlement?

at least with regular reviews, the system is fair for all.

why should someone be treated differently just because they are older?
    surely they would find that patronising?
    i know i would
    Originally posted by nannytone
    I hadn't realised that OVER 65's could even claim DLA/PIP - I had assumed that on 65th birthday, it would automatically convert to Attendance Allowance - but apparently - if you are already claiming DLA on your 65th birthday, it continues ad infernitum ?
    • nannytone
    • By nannytone 24th May 17, 3:36 PM
    • 12,193 Posts
    • 18,101 Thanks
    nannytone
    I hadn't realised that OVER 65's could even claim DLA/PIP - I had assumed that on 65th birthday, it would automatically convert to Attendance Allowance - but apparently - if you are already claiming DLA on your 65th birthday, it continues ad infernitum ?
    thats how it has always been. if entitled before 65th birthday then you keep it IF you continue to be entitled
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 24th May 17, 4:07 PM
    • 8,350 Posts
    • 4,966 Thanks
    teddysmum

Cost is the one and only reason for this system, which treats those becoming ill, no matter how severely, after 65 as second class citizens.

My father developed Parkinsons in his late 60s and could only 'walk' a few steps. If he hadn't us ,he would never have left his home, because there is no mobility help with AA.
    • nannytone
    • By nannytone 24th May 17, 4:29 PM
    • 12,193 Posts
    • 18,101 Thanks
    nannytone
    there is a difference between disability and the natural agiing process though.

DLA/PIP is only paid for the disability.

i am blind and will continue to be blind.
    that is what i receive DLA for. any changes due to the natural process of waging aren't pRT OF MY DLA CLAIM
    Last edited by MSE ForumTeam5; 26-05-2017 at 11:26 AM. Reason: Quoting deleted post
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,988Posts Today

6,643Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I was surprised to see the three people in front of me in the newsagents were all shocked their old £1 coins were no longer taken.

• RT @natdebtline: If you?ve been visited by a bailiff since April 2014 we want to hear your story for our #bailiffreform campaign https://t.?

• Well so far it seems there's one thing remainers and leavers agree on - the EU is getting the better of the negotia? https://t.co/70z5ffpG8S

• Follow Martin