The Giving Up/ Cutting Down alcohol support thread - number 13

Comments

• maman
    maman Posts: 28,568 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Just finding my stop button and taking a break for a cup of tea. cuppa I use BoB milk (1% fat but tastes like semi -Skimmed). It doesn't have any pint markings. I checked. ;)
  • Evening everyone apologies for being MIA, life has been very challenging just recently but I am AF despite stressful times at home x
  • Evening all. 19/25 please. Seem to be coming down with a cold now... Not sure I've ever been off colour for so long and for so many reasons.
  • Poor_Single_lady
    Poor_Single_lady Posts: 1,527 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    19/31 pleaseI had a drink yesterday. Boo. It was a few But not too many, I remember everything, I wasn't hungover, didn't do anything remotely stupid and got home at a normal hour with all my things.
    So it was everything that I aim for when I do have a drink. But still would have rather it hadn't happened. But it has so push on today is another day.
    HB although I haven't managed the full month AF I think this sensible approach is down to all your help you have given me. Big thank you.
    2017- 5 credit cards plus loan
    Overdraft And 1 credit card paid off.

2018 plans - reduce debt
  • cathybird
    cathybird Posts: 13,276 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Morning all, 17/21 for me today please. :)
    In April I am taking a break from buying: Books
  • Honey_Bear
    Honey_Bear Posts: 7,077 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Thank you PSL, that's a lovely thing to say but it's all down to you really, isn't it? You're the one not taking the first sip, turning down the second glass, being the person you want to be. If anything I say is helpful I'm just passing on the good commonsense I've been given while on the road to sobriety myself. So good on you for hanging in there and give yourself a huge pat on the back for what you've achieved so far. And the good news is it gets easier the longer you stick at it, because what we're doing is breaking long-standing bad habits.

20/31 please, Shaggy.
    Better is good enough.
  • Barny1979
    Barny1979 Posts: 7,921 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    15/24 AFDs today
  • cathybird
    cathybird Posts: 13,276 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    18/21 for me please. :)
    In April I am taking a break from buying: Books
  • Honey_Bear
    Honey_Bear Posts: 7,077 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    21/31 please, Shaggy.
    Better is good enough.
  • 20/31

HB I think you are vastly under estimating the value of your words.
    Your contribution on this thread is so valuable and so helpful.

What you have achieved is brilliant.
    You have a way of writing and explaining that really connects with people. A lot of people in your position - 1000 days AF would become quite Preachy but you are nothing like this.

For me personally I have (aside from 1 friend who can't drink for medical reasons) nobody who views alcohol as anything but good. Work, family and friends all drink so it becomes 7 days a week bombardment and expectation to drink.
    It can make you feel exhausting and like you are constantly explaining.
    But then I read your posts and you are like the voice of reason and I think I am not alone. I think of you at your party's in the early days. (For me I'd rather skip them altogether and get take away and put pyjamas on) and I think about your example and all your words.
    It was me walking around not drinking very much but it was your words that did it!
    2017- 5 credit cards plus loan
    Overdraft And 1 credit card paid off.

2018 plans - reduce debt
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills