Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • benbenandme
    • By benbenandme 27th Dec 16, 7:03 PM
    • 10,242Posts
    • 26,279Thanks
    benbenandme
    Ready to do it all over again ...
    • 27th Dec 16, 7:03 PM
    Ready to do it all over again ... 27th Dec 16 at 7:03 PM
    Hello, thank you for popping by

I have been a regular on the debt free diaries board for years as well as dipping in here at times. I did join in Tallgirls Mortgage Free in 3 Challenge several years ago and have had several diaries over the years. This is the first time I've had one here though despite never actually being in debt I always felt it could happen oh so easily so treated myself as if I was a dfw.

So, 2017 and my new diary here ...

I have lived in my lovely flat with my ds (13) for the last 9 years and finally it looks as though we will be moving in the new year. I have sold my flat to a cash buyer and have had an offer accepted on a 2 bed little house. I will probably put stuff into storage and stay with my Mum for a few weeks while the house goes through as my buyers are very keen to complete asap and I don't want to risk losing them as I have already had one sale fall through due to brexit.

Normally at this point between Christmas and New Year I begin planning my aims for the coming year, setting goals - usually financial related, and generally getting everything organised ready to tackle whatever I have planned. This normally is a £££ goal to knock off the mortgage etc.

This year however everything is a bit unknown as I can't predict how much I can save etc at this point. But what I can do is take stock of exactly where I'm at now and make lists, I do like lists , of things I need to do to make as many pennies as possible / minimise spends where possible.
    Mortgage Total: £75,000 £73,315 Mortgage End Date: May 2040
    Brother's loan: £3919 / £25,000
    Holiday Fund: £495 / £1800
Page 17
    • blackcatsx2
    • By blackcatsx2 30th Apr 17, 7:24 PM
    • 63 Posts
    • 569 Thanks
    blackcatsx2
    Glad you won your bet - not glad that Spurs won!
    • benbenandme
    • By benbenandme 30th Apr 17, 8:55 PM
    • 10,242 Posts
    • 26,279 Thanks
    benbenandme
    I think you'll be alright Blackcats, if I'm honest I think they are the better team out you and them, but I think they have left it too late to catch you up. Perhaps if they hadn't been held to a goalless draw by us earlier in the season My ex was a Spurs fan, if I'm honest I'm rooting for Chelsea to win it too although my Dad was a Spurs fan too and he would have loved it. Then again, he'd have loved to see Bournemouth in the Premier League too
    • benbenandme
    • By benbenandme 1st May 17, 9:36 AM
    • 10,242 Posts
    • 26,279 Thanks
    benbenandme
    Second load of washing is in (everything of ds's smells of bonfires from scout camp ), and ds has done his homework already without any arguments

Ds might be going out with friends today, in which case the dog and I will go for another wander later
    • benbenandme
    • By benbenandme 1st May 17, 4:21 PM
    • 10,242 Posts
    • 26,279 Thanks
    benbenandme
    Hmm, a funny day today. Ds's 'friend' text him earlier to say he ahad spoken to the other friends and they didn't want ds going out with them today He was really upset, he knows he doesn't have many friends, in fact I'd go as far as to say he doesn't really have any He has always struggled with friendships, either he chooses people who have a negative influence on him, or he just messes up somewhere along the way. Anyhow, this group of friends have known him since primary, they've never been close but have always got on okay, but this today really upset him. He knows he's different and doesn't fit in but it hurts to be rejected

So, I told him we'd go and watch some trains, he mentioned a place he'd seen while on the train so we found a parking spot fairly nearby in the forest and walked the dog until we got there. It was actually a good spot, he could see a long section of track, the dog and I could walk alongside it and get some steps in So, we agreed to wait for one more train then we would go home ... all good until out of nowhere the heavens opened. Just when we thought it couldn't possibly rain any heavier it decided to hail. The dog, who was utterly drenched through, decided to sit down and refused to budge any further so I ended up carrying him back to the car. Along the way a baby bambi came darting out right in front of us, literally close enough to touch

So, we got home, heating on, hot water on, cups of tea all round, then we bathed the dog which made a complete mockery of me cleaning the bathroom this morning Anyway, he's now had the hairdryer on him which he loves and is fast asleep on the sofa. I now need to go and scrub the bathroom all over again

I do only need to do about another 400 steps to reach today's target
    • blackcatsx2
    • By blackcatsx2 1st May 17, 9:05 PM
    • 63 Posts
    • 569 Thanks
    blackcatsx2
    Sorry to hear about the so-called friends - it's so hard isn't it. Kids can be so cruel. I hope all ok at school tomorrow for DS. The other kids will probably have forgotten all about it and not known how hurtful they've been.
    • benbenandme
    • By benbenandme 1st May 17, 9:56 PM
    • 10,242 Posts
    • 26,279 Thanks
    benbenandme
    Thanks Blackcats, he's already stressing about what he'll do at break/lunch tomorrow as he has no-one to hang out with

In other news, £7 from an ebay sale tonight, off to chuck it in the pot and update the signature
    • benbenandme
    • By benbenandme 2nd May 17, 6:58 AM
    • 10,242 Posts
    • 26,279 Thanks
    benbenandme
    This months mortgage payment has gone, signature adjusted
    • benbenandme
    • By benbenandme 2nd May 17, 10:16 PM
    • 10,242 Posts
    • 26,279 Thanks
    benbenandme
    £20 cashout from a survey site
    • benbenandme
    • By benbenandme 4th May 17, 9:46 PM
    • 10,242 Posts
    • 26,279 Thanks
    benbenandme
    £10 payment from quidco for clicksnap items
    • benbenandme
    • By benbenandme 6th May 17, 7:49 AM
    • 10,242 Posts
    • 26,279 Thanks
    benbenandme
    Morning all, another weekend rolls round already
    I have just redeemed £10 from a survey site, it will be added to the signature shortly. Ds is off to his Dads this morning which leaves me and the dog to have a quiet weekend. We have the usual food shopping / housework routine to perform with a bit of footie thrown in this afternoon, other than that there isn't much planned.

I have done my 10,000 steps every day for a week and have stuck to my calorie allowance and am disappointed with a first week loss of 1lb I know it's better than nothing but usually the first week is quite impressive and gives you motivation to stick at it. Hmm. Anyway, I know it works because I've done it before, I just need to keep going. So, this week will be more of the same - lots of steps and sticking to the calorie limit
    • blackcatsx2
    • By blackcatsx2 13th May 17, 1:58 PM
    • 63 Posts
    • 569 Thanks
    blackcatsx2
    Hi Benben
    Hope all ok
    • benbenandme
    • By benbenandme 14th May 17, 8:25 AM
    • 10,242 Posts
    • 26,279 Thanks
    benbenandme
    Hi all, congratulations Blackcats on winning the league We won again yesterday, 10 points out of a possible 12 has moved us up to 10th, happy with that

My brother was down yesterday and the plan was we were all going out for a big family lunch ... however, ds went to scouts on friday night and they went foraging in the forest. He came home and said his throat was tickly (he suffers with hayfever), and then spent the whole night throwing up He finally went to sleep at 4am and woke up at 5.15 last night So ds and I missed the family get together, but it couldn't be helped. He's feeling better today but is having a lazy day indoors and in the garden.

I did pop to Sainsburys last night and got a few bits and pieces, I also stripped his bed and did 3 loads of washing, so today I have my bedding to wash and then the ironing to do. I also might have a go at planting some herbs, it's one of those things I always wanted at the flat and couldn't do.
    • Moneyfordreams
    • By Moneyfordreams 14th May 17, 9:39 AM
    • 902 Posts
    • 4,396 Thanks
    Moneyfordreams
    Just catching up, children can be so mean.... what a shame you missed the meal. I hope you enjoy you day today. it sounds lovely
    Mortgage Feb '13 £200000, end 2038. Aiming for before March 2025 (crunched to 2034)
    January 16 £182800 : minimum £360 OP but needs to be £600 to achieve 2025
    Current mortgage £158200
    h@lifax CC £4300 0% until May 2018.. will pay minimum for now, slow stooze
    CC daughter gift and holiday spends £2200
    • benbenandme
    • By benbenandme 14th May 17, 9:46 AM
    • 10,242 Posts
    • 26,279 Thanks
    benbenandme
    Thanks Moneyfordreams, I do like lazy Sundays

I forgot to mention, I have booked for us to go away for 3 nights at the start of the summer holidays - so those of you who were around last year may remember last year we bought rail rover tickets and traveled the UK for a week on unlimited trains - Aberdeen to Penzance in one day was quite memorable! Anyway, this year, I have found a website that just does railway accommodation, either in carriages or converted station houses etc, most are fully booked already but I did manage to find one with 3 nights free in July, so we will be staying in a converted train carriage that is on a siding right next to a mainline, we even have a little garden with a key to the station platform The carriage has wifi, so laptop and chilling for me, and ds can watch trains 24/7 for 3 days
    • TallGirl
    • By TallGirl 14th May 17, 11:19 AM
    • 4,192 Posts
    • 8,662 Thanks
    TallGirl
    Sounds ideal win win for both of you. Re herbs for the garden those pots you buy in supermarkets makes excellent outdoor herbs just split them and make sure they acclimatised a bit first. Much easier than growing from seeds cheaper than garden centre prices for parsley, basil etc.
    Save £12k in 17 no 93 £9750/£12k Pay off wasted money £2000/£10k
    • benbenandme
    • By benbenandme 14th May 17, 11:46 AM
    • 10,242 Posts
    • 26,279 Thanks
    benbenandme
    I've done a trip to the tip with a load of cardboard that was stacked in the garage, then went to B&Q and have spent £25 on various plants and some compost. Just had a sandwich and now off to fill some pots etc in the garden
    Ds is still flopping on the sofa, he's quite snuffly today, doesn't want to eat anything and is just generally listless. He did manage a bit of bread and butter last night but that's all he's eaten since friday
    • benbenandme
    • By benbenandme 14th May 17, 12:27 PM
    • 10,242 Posts
    • 26,279 Thanks
    benbenandme
    Thanks for the tip Tallgirl, I did get some mint at B&Q, I love mint, but will wait for my next tesco order to get some chives and some other herbs

I've planted a few, I'm going to sit in the conservatory for a bit and update my Amazon wishlist, there are more and more bits and pieces I'm realising I am going to need. Nothing major, just having not had any outdoor space at the flat I am totally lacking in the gardening department - eg. watering can, hosepipe etc. I might potter around a car boot sale next weekend and see if I can pick up some tools and bits and bobs there
    • blackcatsx2
    • By blackcatsx2 15th May 17, 7:50 PM
    • 63 Posts
    • 569 Thanks
    blackcatsx2
    Thanks for the footie congrats. I think Bournemouth have done well this season and played some really good football. Just waiting for tonight's game - a much changed team playing tonight.
    I planted some herbs last week - just a few but looking forward to them growing this summer. I made myself a pot of mint tea yesterday - well it was freshly picked mint leaves and boiling water - really delicious and very refreshing.
    I've done a financial housekeeping exercise tonight - a bit time consuming but worthwhile exercise. Set myself some new targets for the rest of the year which have got me motivated again. Hope your DS is feeling better.
    • savingmore
    • By savingmore 19th May 17, 6:25 AM
    • 360 Posts
    • 2,296 Thanks
    savingmore
    hi ben ben. haven't posted for yonks but follow yr diary still. sorry you are having a difficult time hope things settle down for dts, that's hard.
    v pleased you got yr house! just a thought on yr gutters, it's worth getting something called hedgehogs for yr gutters, get someone to put them in, no more paying to have them cleared out. it's like the stuff from bottle brushes that sit in the gutter, preventing build up of anything but water flows through. we have them in ours, they are genius. small capital outlay saves money and having blocked gutters and any potential damp problems occurring from that. it's a genius design.

and it's friday

• benbenandme
    • By benbenandme 19th May 17, 9:56 PM
    • 10,242 Posts
    • 26,279 Thanks
    benbenandme
    Evening all, another week done, ds is still not 100%, it's come out like a cold now. He went off to bed just before 9 tonight and was snoring within minutes. He's off to his Dads tomorrow, so I have a weekend of pottering / housework and chilling ahead of me. Next weekend we break up for half-term so I might think ahead to what we might do then.

The dog was in the garden a few minutes ago and was going loopy, I went out there and I have a hedgehog snuffling away The dog couldn't quite make out what it was and wandered off but it has made my day, the one thing I really wanted in my garden was a hedgehog and there's one here already I'm off to google what to put out for them, maybe we'll have a family of them and baby hogs one day
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

495Posts Today

4,841Users online

Martin's Twitter