smallholdingsister's strivings

Options

Comments

• smallholdingsister
    Options
    Another centre done. Mortgage paperwork posted to catch the post on Saturday hasn't arrived.
  • earthgirl
    earthgirl Posts: 3,762 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Hope it turns up! Glad everything except the post is going your way.
    15/5/12 Paid off Mortgage 1 (£220k) Bought Dream House:www: Dec 13 - Mortage 2 -£116,508. 15/7/18 Mortgage Free Again :j

Progress not Perfection
  • EatingTheElephant
    Options
    Hope it turns up soon. You would think things would be more electronic these days.
  • smallholdingsister
    Options
    The solicitors are doing everything by email, but not the BS.

I was off yesterday, slight damage to my cornea and an eye infection, I had to get it looked at before the medics closed for the weekend. I called the BS and they have found my form and are all over it.

It seems I might have six weeks to go before we move. Aarrgghhh!

What do I need to do?!
  • apple_muncher
    apple_muncher Posts: 14,708 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Six weeks! Yay and Yikes in equal measure!

Take care of that eye. And finish your moderating. And write lots of lists, eat well, and get enough sleep.
    NST March lion #8; NSD ; MFW9/3/23 Whoop Whoop!!!
  • EatingTheElephant
    Options
    Yes all of the above! Hope the eye is better soon. Decluttering beforehand was really the greatest asset for us. The few drawers that I had folded KM style just lifted out into boxes and then back in the drawers at the other end. Very speedy :)
  • smallholdingsister
    Options
    Good advice. I think we will have them pack. Getting quotes in half term which is a month prior to the loosely planned move date. Is that too late?

I realise its more like 5 weeks now.

Top advice, chaps.
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Have them pack by all means (I did that on my last move 7 years ago) but make sure about the ground rules. When I unpacked, I found that the only mug that had been used to store something else (a little silver decanter chain) was chucked into the most valuable thing in the kitchen, a crystal engraved mug. It wasn't scratched, but I was *not* amused.

Decluttering beforehand is my advice too (and if you can manage it, declutter the big stuff *before* they come round to quote you for removal). And if you can't, make sure they know which bits won't be coming with you :)
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • XSpender
    XSpender Posts: 3,811 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If you do decide to pack yourself look on gumtree and freecycle for packing boxes that people have used themselves and are giving away. We paid pennies for some big strong boxes from a trendy trainer shop that were ideal and made it so easy for the movers to pick up and load/unload. We packed all our stuff and only 1 small item of little value was broken. I got packing paper and tape off amazon or eBay a lot cheaper than the removal company were going to charge. If you use newspaper everything needs washing again when you unpack.

Declutter now as already mentioned and don't forget the loft and garage! it took us longer to clear the garage than it did to pack the rest of the house. Pot up any plants you are taking from the garden.

I would get a couple of quotes if you can, the difference between the 2 quotes we got for exactly the same service was hundreds.
    Save £10,500 - £2673.77 - 25.5%
    Pay off £7000 - £1743 - 19.4%
    Make £2021 extra income - £99.75
  • smallholdingsister
    Options
    Wow!

I have booked 4 companies to quote.

Now we need to get the marking and moderation money in ready for it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure