Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • uconique
    • By uconique 12th May 17, 12:46 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    uconique
    Current Graduate Loan - Advice needed
    • 12th May 17, 12:46 PM
    Current Graduate Loan - Advice needed 12th May 17 at 12:46 PM
    Dear MSE Forum Members,
    Hoping you would be able to put some options to the table in regards to my current situation with the Fixed-Sum Loan Agreement.

In May 2014, not long after graduating from university, I took a Graduate Fixed-Sum Loan for £5,000.00. I was under impression that it was a good agreement and needed the money at that time.
    Total repayment under the agreement is £6303.60 and is to be repaid in 60 monthly sums of £105.06 with the Annual Interest Rate as 9.52%(Fixed) and APR as 9.9%.
    At the moment, the sum which left to pay is £2,263.98 which is still quite a lot due to Interest Rates during these three years of repayments.

My question is if there is any way I can go to repay the whole amount to slash the Interest rate and perhaps shift the loan to a 0% credit card? Considering that I have got a good payment history and credit score.

Thanks,

U.
Page 1
    • Candyapple
    • By Candyapple 12th May 17, 12:52 PM
    • 2,077 Posts
    • 1,608 Thanks
    Candyapple
    • 12th May 17, 12:52 PM
    • 12th May 17, 12:52 PM
    You would need a money transfer card. Check here and then apply:
    https://creditcards.moneysavingexpert.com/?money-transfers&_ga=2.166563261.286028960.1494590044-1894739122.1494583016
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
    • uconique
    • By uconique 19th May 17, 2:43 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    uconique
    • 19th May 17, 2:43 PM
    • 19th May 17, 2:43 PM
    Thanks for the reply, Candyapple!

I've looked through my loan details again and struggling to understand if I can benefit of a money transfer card? My loan has a fixed APR, therefore the sum I owe will not change.
    What can be the benefits of paying it off straight away by using a transfer card?
    Also, I want to make sure I wasn't missold PPI with this loan back in 2014. I don't have any documentation stating that insurance have been sold to me.
    • Candyapple
    • By Candyapple 19th May 17, 2:56 PM
    • 2,077 Posts
    • 1,608 Thanks
    Candyapple
    • 19th May 17, 2:56 PM
    • 19th May 17, 2:56 PM
    The benefits of paying it off are that you are eliminating paying the £2,263.98 in interest.

As an example, if you applied for the Virgin card which is 36 months at 0% with a 2.9% fee, assuming your credit limit is large enough, you would initially have to pay £182 for the fee based on transferring £6.3k and then you have 36 months to clear your balance.

So, choice of pay £182 vs £2,263.98.

Now you could either pay a fixed sum of £175 per month knowing that by the end of the term the balance would be gone, or you could just pay the 1% minimum every month which would be £63 every month until the end of the term and then clear the end balance with a lump sum of whatever is left - or just move the balance to a new 0% card.

https://uk.virginmoney.com/virgin/credit-cards/money-transfer-cards/
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,061Posts Today

9,089Users online

Martin's Twitter