Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jondav
    • By jondav 15th May 17, 12:40 PM
    • 498Posts
    • 337Thanks
    jondav
    CMS and Child Benefit
    • 15th May 17, 12:40 PM
    CMS and Child Benefit 15th May 17 at 12:40 PM
    We have requested that the CMS carry out a Child Benefit Check on several occasions with no response (to be expected!).

Is there any way of checking this by any other means than through the CMS?
Page 1
    • WYSPECIAL
    • By WYSPECIAL 17th May 17, 6:44 AM
    • 294 Posts
    • 138 Thanks
    WYSPECIAL
    • 17th May 17, 6:44 AM
    • 17th May 17, 6:44 AM
    If you think the PWC is claiming something they are not entitled to you could report them to benefit fraud.
    • jondav
    • By jondav 17th May 17, 8:07 AM
    • 498 Posts
    • 337 Thanks
    jondav
    • 17th May 17, 8:07 AM
    • 17th May 17, 8:07 AM
    If you think the PWC is claiming something they are not entitled to you could report them to benefit fraud.
    Originally posted by WYSPECIAL
    This is the problem - we are unsure because there is no contact at all and we don't really want to be accusing people of fraud.

On the other hand, we really want to check because the PWC has been less than honest in the past.

I think from researching, a letter to the Child Benefit office to explain the situation may prompt an investigation with the CMS.
    • CakeCrusader
    • By CakeCrusader 17th May 17, 3:18 PM
    • 356 Posts
    • 159 Thanks
    CakeCrusader
    • 17th May 17, 3:18 PM
    • 17th May 17, 3:18 PM
    Have you done the usual, like look online to see if there's info about your child's school (a pic/article with their name), spoken to a relative/someone who knows your child, or checked Facebook? Teens put their whole life on there.
    • jondav
    • By jondav 17th May 17, 4:49 PM
    • 498 Posts
    • 337 Thanks
    jondav
    • 17th May 17, 4:49 PM
    • 17th May 17, 4:49 PM
    Have you done the usual, like look online to see if there's info about your child's school (a pic/article with their name), spoken to a relative/someone who knows your child, or checked Facebook? Teens put their whole life on there.
    Originally posted by CakeCrusader
    We have tried that yes, but nothing comes up, which is partly why we are suspicious.

They also live quite far away, so we can't find out anything from friends or extended family because they are no longer in contact.....usually you would bump into people "on the off chance", but with the distance, that would never happen.

We have also tried Facebook but they have either deleted themselves or are all completely locked down - the names don't even come up in the search (for the children or the mother).

I think we may try writing to the Child Benefit office and explain the situation to see if that may prompt an enquiry.....although I'm not sure they would respond to us?
    • Mojisola
    • By Mojisola 17th May 17, 5:43 PM
    • 27,308 Posts
    • 69,477 Thanks
    Mojisola
    • 17th May 17, 5:43 PM
    • 17th May 17, 5:43 PM
    We have tried that yes, but nothing comes up, which is partly why we are suspicious.
    Originally posted by jondav
    Has the child's parent spoken directly to the school?
    • CakeCrusader
    • By CakeCrusader 17th May 17, 6:13 PM
    • 356 Posts
    • 159 Thanks
    CakeCrusader
    • 17th May 17, 6:13 PM
    • 17th May 17, 6:13 PM
    We have also tried Facebook but they have either deleted themselves or are all completely locked down - the names don't even come up in the search (for the children or the mother).
    Originally posted by jondav
    Children have to legally be in full time non advanced education until they are 18 (or an apprenticeship or work) in the UK now, so you could try contacting the Local Education Department (I'm assuming you have PR now) to ask them to clarify whether your child is still at school. They should have a record regardless. Children are allowed to take a break from education for health reasons though, but they are expected to return within 6 months. Child benefit and Child Tax credits are payable providing they return within 6 months. There are exceptions though, I've had to remove my teen from school as he's had severe depression. I don't receive Child Benefit or Child Tax credit for him, and child maintenance is under a court order. The court were aware that he was taking a break from school and extended his order until he turns 20 so that he can go to college.

The fact that you can't find them on Facebook suggests they have blocked you or they are not there, as names usually show up. You could try using an alternative account (ask someone they don't know to check) to see if they show up. If they don't show up if you use an alternative account, they don't have Facebook accounts.
    • jondav
    • By jondav 18th May 17, 10:06 AM
    • 498 Posts
    • 337 Thanks
    jondav
    • 18th May 17, 10:06 AM
    • 18th May 17, 10:06 AM
    Has the child's parent spoken directly to the school?
    Originally posted by Mojisola
    He doesn't know which school the child attends - they moved away years ago and like I said, there is no contact, so the child has gone from primary to secondary in that time. They may have also moved areas again, we really don't know. The oldest must have left school (already turned 18) but we don't know where they have gone from there.....hence wanting to check his liability.
    • Mojisola
    • By Mojisola 18th May 17, 10:08 AM
    • 27,308 Posts
    • 69,477 Thanks
    Mojisola
    • 18th May 17, 10:08 AM
    • 18th May 17, 10:08 AM
    They are very unusual teenagers/young adults if none of them have any on-line presence.
    • jondav
    • By jondav 18th May 17, 10:12 AM
    • 498 Posts
    • 337 Thanks
    jondav
    Children have to legally be in full time non advanced education until they are 18 (or an apprenticeship or work) in the UK now, so you could try contacting the Local Education Department (I'm assuming you have PR now) to ask them to clarify whether your child is still at school. They should have a record regardless. Children are allowed to take a break from education for health reasons though, but they are expected to return within 6 months. Child benefit and Child Tax credits are payable providing they return within 6 months. There are exceptions though, I've had to remove my teen from school as he's had severe depression. I don't receive Child Benefit or Child Tax credit for him, and child maintenance is under a court order. The court were aware that he was taking a break from school and extended his order until he turns 20 so that he can go to college.

The fact that you can't find them on Facebook suggests they have blocked you or they are not there, as names usually show up. You could try using an alternative account (ask someone they don't know to check) to see if they show up. If they don't show up if you use an alternative account, they don't have Facebook accounts.
    Originally posted by CakeCrusader
    They have definitely blocked us and we have tried using a friends account but as I said, they don't come up in the searches.

Thank you for the information regarding the education board, we will look into this further.
    • jondav
    • By jondav 18th May 17, 10:13 AM
    • 498 Posts
    • 337 Thanks
    jondav
    They are very unusual teenagers/young adults if none of them have any on-line presence.
    Originally posted by Mojisola
    They do, or at least I am pretty sure they do, but they must have the privacy settings set up to the hilt.
    • CakeCrusader
    • By CakeCrusader 18th May 17, 12:43 PM
    • 356 Posts
    • 159 Thanks
    CakeCrusader
    My privacy settings are as high as they can go, but I can still be found on Facebook. People just can't access my full page (it shows no info and no posts, just a few profile pics) but they can see I'm there. Do you have an email address for them? You can search using that.
    • jondav
    • By jondav 18th May 17, 1:50 PM
    • 498 Posts
    • 337 Thanks
    jondav
    We don't have anything at all, like I said, it has been a good few years since there was any contact - they may not even still be in this country - (maybe a bit far-fetched but we have no way of knowing).

I must say though, thank you for all of your suggestions, it is appreciated

I think that if we get nowhere with the child benefit checks, we will take the stance that he will stop paying the portion for the older child that is now 18. Keep the money aside and if they can prove he is still liable to pay then he will, but until then, he will only pay for the younger child.

We really can't afford to overpay and knowing the CMS, he would be very unlikely to get anything back if it does come to light that he has overpaid.
    • NotSuchASmugMarriedNow
    • By NotSuchASmugMarriedNow 19th May 17, 10:47 AM
    • 530 Posts
    • 1,074 Thanks
    NotSuchASmugMarriedNow
    Yes that's the best idea. Don't pay it, and the resident parent can claim it if she is entitled to it, but CMS will check that entitlement first, so it makes sense to not pay because as you say if you paid upfront it would be very difficult to get a refund. Good luck
    Overactively underachieving for almost half a century
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,094Posts Today

6,915Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • The strange thing with a 4yr old is having to play & smile while inside feeling sick for those in trauma in my birth town #Manchester

• Just a quick ta-ta for now. I'm taking the week off for family time with mini and Mrs MSE. So I won't be here much. Back after the bank hol

• Ugh another one trying it! Beware https://t.co/Ab9fCRA76F

• Follow Martin