Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Archna
    • By MSE Archna 6th Oct 06, 7:00 PM
    • 1,872Posts
    • 5,996Thanks
    MSE Archna
    Council Tax Cost Cutting: reduce your band and grab any discounts Discussion Area
    • 6th Oct 06, 7:00 PM
    Council Tax Cost Cutting: reduce your band and grab any discounts Discussion Area 6th Oct 06 at 7:00 PM
    This thread is here to discuss the content of the article on Council Tax Cashback: reduce your band and save £1000s.

However if you have already followed the system, please use report them in the Council tax rebanding successes discussion.

Note from Martin: Thank you to all the contributers to the initial thread, which provided the genisis for the article. Much appreciated.

Last edited by MSE Archna; 10-06-2010 at 4:39 PM.
    Report inappropriate posts: forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

Page 249
    • beccyreese
    • By beccyreese 26th Apr 17, 2:19 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    beccyreese
    New Build
    Does anyone have any experience of challenging valuations for new builds?

I've recently started renting a new build through a housing association. Looking on VOA website all the new builds flats in the area have valuations of bands E,F or G. This looks to have been calculated by a reverse present value of the current market value back to 1991 (I used nationwide's online calculator as a guide) rather than assessing what the value of an equivalent property would have actually been valued at in 1991. Going through the VOA's valuation of similar flats that existed in 1991 shows that they mainly have bandings of B to D.
    Any advice from successful challengers on how to go about putting the case on the proposal form?
    • mntb
    • By mntb 6th May 17, 4:10 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    mntb
    Change to Valuation
    After contacting the VOA to ask them to review our council tax band we received an amended council tax bill today stating we are now band D (from E) which is a great result. We have not received any letters from the VOA regarding this. However, on both the council tax bill and VOA website it says the effective date for th change is 24th April 2017. We moved in to the newly built house in June 2008 and am unsure why this would not be the effective date. We are so pleased that it has been changed but cannot understand why if it should have been D that we would not be refunded payments for the past 9 years. Does anyone have any ideas why this could be the effective date or experience of challenging this? Thank you
    • CIS
    • By CIS 6th May 17, 4:32 PM
    • 9,869 Posts
    • 5,639 Thanks
    CIS
    After contacting the VOA to ask them to review our council tax band we received an amended council tax bill today stating we are now band D (from E) which is a great result. We have not received any letters from the VOA regarding this. However, on both the council tax bill and VOA website it says the effective date for th change is 24th April 2017. We moved in to the newly built house in June 2008 and am unsure why this would not be the effective date. We are so pleased that it has been changed but cannot understand why if it should have been D that we would not be refunded payments for the past 9 years. Does anyone have any ideas why this could be the effective date or experience of challenging this? Thank you
    Originally posted by mntb
    Only way to find out is to ask the VOA why they've used that date.

Craig
    I no longer work in Council Tax Recovery as I'm now a self employed Council Tax advisor and consultant with my own Council Tax consultancy business. My views are my own reading of the law and you should always check with the local authority in question.
    • mntb
    • By mntb 6th May 17, 4:56 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    mntb
    Thanks Craig. That is my plan for Monday :-) Just wondered if anyone had experienced this and possible reasons
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 6th May 17, 6:12 PM
    • 9,428 Posts
    • 7,401 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    Originally posted by mntb
    Usually the VOA notify you of a CT band change.

The effective date of 24 Apr 2017 is probably a mistake, unless there has been a recent detrimental change in the neighbourhood.
    • mntb
    • By mntb 6th May 17, 6:39 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    mntb
    Thanks. Haven't received the letter, only notification from council. No detrimental changes to the neighbourhood. Well that I'm aware of anyway!
    • Jellybeanio
    • By Jellybeanio 8th May 17, 6:35 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Jellybeanio
    Following up on what I mistakenly started in the success thread.

VOA agreed to review and their decision is, no change.

Lincroft, could I ask you as ex VOA? What would you have done if a taxpayer informed you that identical properties to theirs are a band below them and you decided that the comparable properties had been incorrectly reduced. Disregarding the case of the taxpayer who made you aware of this. What, if any action would you have taken against the incorrectly banded properties?
    • CIS
    • By CIS 8th May 17, 6:45 PM
    • 9,869 Posts
    • 5,639 Thanks
    CIS
    Following up on what I mistakenly started in the success thread.

VOA agreed to review and their decision is, no change.

Lincroft, could I ask you as ex VOA? What would you have done if a taxpayer informed you that identical properties to theirs are a band below them and you decided that the comparable properties had been incorrectly reduced. Disregarding the case of the taxpayer who made you aware of this. What, if any action would you have taken against the incorrectly banded properties?
    Originally posted by Jellybeanio
    Any wrongly banded property which is identified should have the banding corrected - the voa have a legal duty to maintain an accurate list.

Craig
    I no longer work in Council Tax Recovery as I'm now a self employed Council Tax advisor and consultant with my own Council Tax consultancy business. My views are my own reading of the law and you should always check with the local authority in question.
    • Jellybeanio
    • By Jellybeanio 8th May 17, 7:30 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Jellybeanio
    Thank you Craig.
    • muppy99
    • By muppy99 11th May 17, 5:35 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    muppy99
    Did we need to get planning permission to convert the barn? Could we have avoided the council tax liability by converting it and obtaining a certificate of lawful development from the planning dept instead?
    The planning permission was actually for a "holiday let" but the in laws decided they'd like to live with us. Does this mean that we haven't actually used the planning consent as our in laws are just guests staying in our property? And, does the planning consent lapse if not used within three years?
    Thanks, in advance, for your advice.
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 11th May 17, 7:49 PM
    • 9,428 Posts
    • 7,401 Thanks
    lincroft1710

Originally posted by Jellybeanio
    I would increase them unless the reduction was a Valuation Tribunal decision.
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 11th May 17, 8:12 PM
    • 9,428 Posts
    • 7,401 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    Could we have avoided the council tax liability by converting it and obtaining a certificate of lawful development from the planning dept instead?
    Originally posted by muppy99
    No. If it is someone's home it is classed as a dwelling and is subject to CT. If it is in the curtilage of another dwelling and is self contained unless it is let out on short term lets, it is again a dwelling and subject to CT.

Not self contained and in the same curtilage as another dwelling then the value is reflected in the band of that dwelling. Holiday let could be subject to business rates
    • Bingleygirl
    • By Bingleygirl 13th May 17, 5:53 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Bingleygirl
    Value less than band range, but band correct ??
    I followed Martin's advice and contacted VOA with the reasons why I think my house is in the wrong council tax band (too high). They responded that my house falls within the value range of the band below my current band, but then state that my current band is correct !?! I'm confused, does this make sense to anyone?
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 13th May 17, 6:21 PM
    • 9,428 Posts
    • 7,401 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    I followed Martin's advice and contacted VOA with the reasons why I think my house is in the wrong council tax band (too high). They responded that my house falls within the value range of the band below my current band, but then state that my current band is correct !?! I'm confused, does this make sense to anyone?
    Originally posted by Bingleygirl
    Not really. Ask them why the band is correct if your home's value is in fact in a lower band.
    • princess23
    • By princess23 17th May 17, 3:09 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    princess23
    Council Tax rebanding help please x
    I wonder if anybody could help me with this. Like many of you I have taken Martins advice to contact the VOA to challenge our Council Tax band. I was told that basically if i could find two properties (one of which he told me was on the same estate as us) and the other within a two mile radius with the same square footage they would be able to do something about changing it. He wouldn't tell me anymore information saying it would open a can of worms!! Therefore my question is , is there anyway to find out a list of properties within a twho mile radius to us sowing the square footage of the properties this is like looking for a needle in a hay stack.
    • princess23
    • By princess23 18th May 17, 2:39 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    princess23
    Help please!
    I wonder if anybody could help me with this. Like many of you I have taken Martins advice to contact the VOA to challenge our Council Tax band. I was told that basically if i could find two properties (one of which he told me was on the same estate as us) and the other within a two mile radius with the same square footage they would be able to do something about changing it. He wouldn't tell me anymore information saying it would open a can of worms!! Therefore my question is , is there anyway to find out a list of properties within a twho mile radius to us sowing the square footage of the properties this is like looking for a needle in a hay stack.
    Originally posted by princess23
    Just spoke to them again today (VOA) and would not give me the number of the property that has the same square footage as ours telling me to do my research im fuming!
    • Gkc
    • By Gkc 31st May 17, 8:42 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Gkc
    Yes they wouldn't help. Go to Zoopla or rightmove and look for sold prices. They have historical adds which usually have a floor plan and square footage. You can put your post code and select radius.
    • Birdman2015
    • By Birdman2015 2nd Jun 17, 11:31 AM
    • 137 Posts
    • 94 Thanks
    Birdman2015
    I have recently moved into a 4 year old house. The council tax banding is F but I have a small doubt that this could be incorrect. I have done the various checks on Martin's article and it makes any appeal seem unlikely to succeed but....

Our valuation was £340,000 on a bungalow at 136sqm and we are Band F. However, in another phase of the development built 2 years ago a house recently sold . It had a valuation of £342,000 and a size of 146sqm so larger than ours and slightly higher valuation but it is listed at band E.

Will this have any bearing on our banding or is there any point in taking this further?
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 2nd Jun 17, 2:50 PM
    • 9,428 Posts
    • 7,401 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    I have recently moved into a 4 year old house. The council tax banding is F but I have a small doubt that this could be incorrect. I have done the various checks on Martin's article and it makes any appeal seem unlikely to succeed but....

Our valuation was £340,000 on a bungalow at 136sqm and we are Band F. However, in another phase of the development built 2 years ago a house recently sold . It had a valuation of £342,000 and a size of 146sqm so larger than ours and slightly higher valuation but it is listed at band E.

Will this have any bearing on our banding or is there any point in taking this further?
    Originally posted by Birdman2015
    Is £340K your purchase price and was £342K the purchase price of the other property? Are these bungalows or houses? Who calculated the sizes?

There is the possibility that the Band E could be incorrect
    • Fireclown
    • By Fireclown 3rd Jun 17, 11:55 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Fireclown
    Complete newbie question. Extensions and Rebranding
    I bought my house in 1991 when it was broadly the same as all my nearest neighbours. Since then all my neighbours houses have been extended (extra floors over garages. Loft conversions etc)/ According to the online register we are all in the same Council tax band.
    My question is when does rebranding take place in the case of extensions? Also Could we challenge our band in the light ot all the changes ?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,449Posts Today

5,402Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin