Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Andrea
    • By MSE Andrea 18th Nov 16, 1:05 PM
    • 8,194Posts
    • 20,235Thanks
    MSE Andrea
    Struggling with debt? Ask a debt advisor a question
    • 18th Nov 16, 1:05 PM
    Struggling with debt? Ask a debt advisor a question 18th Nov 16 at 1:05 PM
    If you need help with your debts, this is the thread for you.

Trained advisors from StepChange Debt Charity (formerly CCCS) are here and waiting to answer your debt questions. Theyíre a friendly bunch so please donít be shy!

There are three ways to get in touch:

1 - Simply post your question below and Richard, Allen, Rachael, Linsi or Kirsty will reply. If your question is about bankruptcy, then pop over to the Bankruptcy board.

2 - If you would prefer to ask a question in private, feel free to send a message to StepChange Private Messages.

3 Ė StepChange Debt Remedy is a free and confidential online debt advice tool. You can put a budget together at your pace, and you can also talk it over with an advisor through online chat.

If you're a StepChange Debt Charity client already, please contact its Aftercare team rather than posting in this thread (their contact details are in your Welcome Pack).

This is discussion thread part four, see parts one, two and three.

Finally, follow @MSE_Forum on twitter for debate and discussion on all things MoneySaving and more.

If you havenít already, join the forum to reply!
    This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
Page 17
  • StepChange_Allen
    Help please, my landlady miss placed some of my post. I've just opened it and it's dated 4th May regarding the county court a claim against me for £1461.93. I have only in the last year gone back to paid employment after years on the sick due to mental health problems. I've stuck my head in the sand and ignored all debt collectors letters so I've only myself to blame! I earn £120 a week I work part time what do I do?? This has completely stressed me out. I don't have much and I'm really worried about this. thanks in advance.
    Originally posted by heidi1977
    Hi Heidi

Thanks for your post.

I can see you've had some helpful replies already which is great; apologies for only just getting around to replying. If the claim form is from Northampton County Court Bulk Centre, which most are, you have 19 days from the issue date on the form, so even now there is still time.

If you admit the debt, then you should offer a fair, affordable payment towards it on the form. If you'd like some help working out a payment and any further advice on dealing with this you can register with us for free, details are on our contact page: www.stepchange.org/Contactus

I hope this helps.

Allen
    I work as a debt advisor for StepChange Debt Charity and have specific permission from Martin to post on these boards to try and help those in debt. Read more information on StepChange Debt Charity in the Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help article. If you find you're struggling with debt and you need further help try our online advice facility Debt Remedy.

Don't be afraid of getting debt advice. We'll help you take one more step towards getting help with your debt.
    • Thaddeus Wagstaff
    • By Thaddeus Wagstaff 22nd May 17, 10:08 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Thaddeus Wagstaff
    Hi
    My adult daughter had bailiffs from Equita chasing her at her previous address for council tax arrears. This debt remains unpaid.
    She is now living with us, as she finds it impossible to cope on her own. Please could you advise how I can prevent bailiffs from removing goods owned by myself and my wife if they chase the debt up at my home? Unfortunately we don't have receipts for a lot of our things as they were bought so long ago it didn't seem worth keeping them. We never expected to find ourselves in this position.....
  • StepChange_Rachael
    Hi

Thanks for getting in contact.

Iím sorry to hear that your daughter is struggling with this debt. I can see how itíd be stressful for you and your wife due to the debt being collected by enforcement agents and your daughter now living with yourselves.

Enforcement agents shouldnít take or list items that arenít your daughters. However as youíve mentioned this may be difficult to verify without receipts or proof of purchase.

What enforcement agents can and canít do does depend on what stage of collection the debt is at.

If the enforcement agents havenít been in to the propery and made a listed goods agreement then as long as an adult doesnít let them in your house and they canít let themselves in by peaceful entry, such as walking through an open or unlocked door, then they canít remove goods on their first visit.

As long as Equita havenít made a listed goods agreement and something is being paid directly to them, even if this is a small affordable payment sent directly to them, then itís very unlikely theyíd be able to take any further action.

If you send a payment direct each month to enforcement agentís collecting for council tax then they have to accept the payment and deduct it from the total debt. They canít send the payment back.

With a regular payment towards the debt itís much more likely theyíll stop trying to gain entry to the property.

If theyíve already been in to your property then itís much more difficult. Iím assuming from this message that theyíve not been in to the property in which the above information applies.

If enforcement agents had made a listed goods agreement with items that werenít the clients then Iíd suggest negotiating with the enforcement agents and trying to find any proof of purchase including bank statements as evidence.

If Equita had made a listed goods agreement when your daughter was in her previous property and then these items had been moved to your property with her then Equita would have a legal right to take these goods and should be informed of the new address.

Usually taking goods is a last resort and theyíd much rather receive payment for the debt.

Negotiating an affordable payment based on a budget that can be sent to the enforcement agents as proof is the best way to come to an agreement with them and stop any further action.

Here is a link where you can find more information about what enforcement agents can and canít do depending on the stages of collection and your rights.

If your daughter would like help to explore her options with dealing with this debt and any others she might have then we can help her find a way forward. You can find out website and contact details here.

Take care
    Rachael

Hi
    My adult daughter had bailiffs from Equita chasing her at her previous address for council tax arrears. This debt remains unpaid.
    She is now living with us, as she finds it impossible to cope on her own. Please could you advise how I can prevent bailiffs from removing goods owned by myself and my wife if they chase the debt up at my home? Unfortunately we don't have receipts for a lot of our things as they were bought so long ago it didn't seem worth keeping them. We never expected to find ourselves in this position.....
    Originally posted by Thaddeus Wagstaff
    I work as a debt advisor for StepChange Debt Charity and have specific permission from Martin to post on these boards to try and help those in debt. Read more information on StepChange Debt Charity in the Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help article. If you find you're struggling with debt and you need further help try our online advice facility Debt Remedy.

Don't be afraid of getting debt advice. We'll help you take one more step towards getting help with your debt.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,275Posts Today

7,117Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • The strange thing with a 4yr old is having to play & smile while inside feeling sick for those in trauma in my birth town #Manchester

• Just a quick ta-ta for now. I'm taking the week off for family time with mini and Mrs MSE. So I won't be here much. Back after the bank hol

• Ugh another one trying it! Beware https://t.co/Ab9fCRA76F

• Follow Martin