Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Archna
    • By MSE Archna 10th Jan 07, 12:02 PM
    • 1,872Posts
    • 5,996Thanks
    MSE Archna
    Council Tax Rebanding SUCCESS stories
    • 10th Jan 07, 12:02 PM
    Council Tax Rebanding SUCCESS stories 10th Jan 07 at 12:02 PM
    MSE Insert!

Forumite lanerideruk successfully reclaimed 19 years' worth of council tax - £2,400! Join and let us know what you've reclaimed too.

Read how to do it yourself:

This thread is especially for reporting your successes in getting your council tax rebanded plus refunds.

The aim is to show others that it works.

Please report your successes here, if possible in the format:

Local Borough Council:
    Council Tax Band Before:
    Council Tax Band After:
    Amount refunded:
    Annual saving going forward:

Plus if possible a few details on your experiences.IMPORTANT NOTE! This thread is only to report succcesses

Please note this thread is ONLY for reporting successes/experiences. It isn't for answering questions, discussing what to do, or postulating on the general issues; any posts of that nature will be deleted. If you want to do that please instead go to the Discussion on Council Tax Cost Cutting

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by MSE Andrea; 24-08-2015 at 1:15 PM.
    Report inappropriate posts: forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

Page 89
    • DCL58
    • By DCL58 10th May 17, 11:23 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    DCL58
    At last!
    Appeal ignored in 1998 but reviewed a few weeks ago. £5252 rebate welcomed to say nothing of reduced figures from now on! Inflation not allowed apparently but mustn't be greedy I guess. Thanks to MSE
    • DawnLJ
    • By DawnLJ 11th May 17, 12:46 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    DawnLJ
    Valuation Tribunal - Notice of Hearing
    Hi

I've just received a notification of hearing for my council tax rebanding appeal. I have no idea if it's worth me attending or if i should do a written submission. Does anyone have any experience of this and could offer some advise? Thanks
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 11th May 17, 2:10 PM
    • 9,898 Posts
    • 7,961 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    Hi

I've just received a notification of hearing for my council tax rebanding appeal. I have no idea if it's worth me attending or if i should do a written submission. Does anyone have any experience of this and could offer some advise? Thanks
    Originally posted by DawnLJ
    When I was in the VOA taking CT appeals to Tribunal, any case where the taxpayer was not in attendance I would ask for the appeal to be dismissed, which always happened. I always won where there was a written submission.

Attendance is not compulsory but advisable if you want any chance of success. How strong is your case? If you have a weak case you would have little chance of succeeding anyway.
    • princesspamma
    • By princesspamma 31st May 17, 11:11 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    princesspamma
    Successful challenge!
    I lived in the same property from 1995 until April this year, which was in Band B. I had long thought that this was a bit high, but i also thought that the process of challenging was too complicated for me. But early this year I read Martin's article on how to do it, and realised that I had nothing to lose from making an initial phone call, and possibly money to gain, so I called up in early March, and was phoned back the following day, and in the course of the discussion it became clear that my home was listed as a two bedroom flat when in it was only a one bedroom. They said someone might need to come out and view to verify this, but i had not got to do anything else but wait 6 weeks or so for their decision. In the end, nobody even came out, and the property was rebanded to band A. Thank you Martin, that part was really easy, like you said. However, actually getting the money i am owed back from the local council (Isle of Wight) has been far more stressful, and at this point I still haven't received it, although - fingers crossed - it should not be long now. The much-abridged story... the Council has finally worked out what i am owed for the periods in which i am eligible for a refund, has actually sent me paper proof of part of it, and has confirmed over the phone the total amount that i am due, i have filled in the forms requesting my refund and posted them off, and am now just waiting until the £2100 or so hits my bank account! Thank you very much Martin, I think this is the best financial news I have had in many years!
    • janeyandpaul
    • By janeyandpaul 9th Jun 17, 1:24 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    janeyandpaul
    Nuneaton
    Band reduction from C to B
    Refund £3141.00
    Currently a saving of approx £180 per year.

Massive thanks to the MSE web site, I'm now sharing my success with friends & family of the potential saving they can make.
    Glad I done my homework first as I was questioned by the Valuation Office as to why I think I'm entitled to a reduction.
    Chuffed to bits 🙂
    • jetsetwilly
    • By jetsetwilly 21st Jun 17, 9:12 PM
    • 192 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    jetsetwilly
    Moved in 4 years ago. Had a small extension built which triggered VOA into realising that the previous owners had done.

The evidence they provided for this was weak to say the least.

I built my case by looking at local properties similar to mine and used precedents from other recent cases. They came to look at the house and remeasured (their original size estimate was wrong).

Was actually looking forward to the tribunal when they backed down and moved it back from E to D.

Result.

About £200 refund due and £30 a month less to pay.

If anyone wants any advice, please feel free to contact me. I found that the VOA base virtually all of their evidence on size of properties, but actually, case history suggests that this is rarely the main driver of prices
    • ddks
    • By ddks 23rd Jun 17, 11:59 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    ddks
    Moved in 4 years ago. Had a small extension built which triggered VOA into realising that the previous owners had done.

The evidence they provided for this was weak to say the least.

I built my case by looking at local properties similar to mine and used precedents from other recent cases. They came to look at the house and remeasured (their original size estimate was wrong).

Was actually looking forward to the tribunal when they backed down and moved it back from E to D.

Result.

About £200 refund due and £30 a month less to pay.

If anyone wants any advice, please feel free to contact me. I found that the VOA base virtually all of their evidence on size of properties, but actually, case history suggests that this is rarely the main driver of prices
    Originally posted by jetsetwilly
    Hi, well done, great result. Yes I've found they base their arguments on size alone and other factors need to be considered. My VTS case is being heard in the next 2 months, very much looking forward to it 😊
    • jetsetwilly
    • By jetsetwilly 28th Jun 17, 6:17 AM
    • 192 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    jetsetwilly
    Hi, well done, great result. Yes I've found they base their arguments on size alone and other factors need to be considered. My VTS case is being heard in the next 2 months, very much looking forward to it 😊
    Originally posted by ddks
    I was looking forward to mine as I had so much evidence and was convinced I would win easily. Sadly, they agreed and conceded. Quite fancied my day in court.

If you have not done so, look at previous cases, there are loads when the homeowner wins based on being able to show that despite size, the area is less desirable etc.Very hard to argue against
    • ddks
    • By ddks 1st Jul 17, 11:29 AM
    • 15 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    ddks
    I was looking forward to mine as I had so much evidence and was convinced I would win easily. Sadly, they agreed and conceded. Quite fancied my day in court.

If you have not done so, look at previous cases, there are loads when the homeowner wins based on being able to show that despite size, the area is less desirable etc.Very hard to argue against
    Originally posted by jetsetwilly
    Mines in a few weeks and very much looking forward to it. I've based mine on previous VTS cases. There are more complex issues on mine, which make for a very good read!!
    • Vststeve
    • By Vststeve 5th Jul 17, 8:40 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Vststeve
    Huge rebate - thank you MSE
    South Ribble Borough Council
    Band E to Band D
    Refund £6275.22
    Saving currently £369.14 per year

Using MSE guidelines I decided to ask the VOA to look at my banding. They were very helpful and promised to look at my case but said it may take up to 12 weeks to come to a decision. They actually took about 2 weeks and sent me a letter confirming I was paying too much. Their letter said my council would automatically refund the overpayment and reband my property. Another 2 weeks and my bank account showed the full rebate of £6275.22. I also received by post copies of my revised council tax bills dating back to 1993.
    So 4 weeks after starting the process everything was done and dusted and I am a bit richer too!
    Thank you MSE and the VOA for acting promptly. Also my local council for settling the rebate quickly. I would recommend anyone to look into their banding, if you follow the MSE guidelines what can you loose?
    • Jude Figueira
    • By Jude Figueira 14th Jul 17, 12:56 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Jude Figueira
    Jf
    Croydon Council
    Band Before G
    Band After E
    2500 refunded
    We will be saving approx 600 per year.

The VOA did take about 2 months but it was well worth the wait. It was very easy, just sent an email to the VOA South, I used the wording as suggested on the MSE site.
    Thank you MSE, the initial savings will be used towards a holiday and then I don;t know what !!
    • mmack
    • By mmack 13th Sep 17, 11:50 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    mmack
    Waverley Council
    Band E to D
    Refund £200
    Annual saving £400
    Thanks MSE! Followed the guide, both the neighbor check and nationwide value check suggested it was wrong. Filled in a form online and about 6 weeks later a letter confirming rebanding. Simple!
    Does anyone know if the previous occupant can claim retrospective refund. It's been backdated to 1993 but I've only just moved in - they were nice people and I don't see why they should pay more.
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 14th Sep 17, 2:11 PM
    • 9,898 Posts
    • 7,961 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    Previous occupiers are entitled to refund of any overpaid Council Tax
    • mjj1974
    • By mjj1974 18th Oct 17, 9:40 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    mjj1974
    £2,300 in the bank
    Ipswich Borough Council
    Rebanding from band C to band B
    Total refund £2,700
    They refunded £2,300 into our account and have taken the rest off our bill for this year so we won't pay anymore council tax until April 2018.
    Better off each month too.

Fairly simple to do. First contacted VOA to tell them that all our neighbours were band B and we were only ones Band C. They asked for more evidence so sent photos that showed all properties same type and age (row of 1930's semi detached). In fact some of our neighbours have a garage and own drive where as we have a shared drive so I made them aware of this as I felt we should be a lower band. They wanted houses prices from the time of banding but as most people in this road rarely move house that was difficult to find. As it happens when we moved in in 1999 a year later our neighbour sold we did have those two prices which were similar. I also made the point that we had an extension but so did most of the other properties in the area so I couldn't see how that effected the banding. It has taken them about 3 months to come back to us but they accepted the challenge and paid us direct into our bank account £2,300 backdated pay as we have lived here 18 years. I was worried that they may just change our neighbours band to a C but thankfully they didn't.
    Thanks for making the process easy to understand. Great sum of money when I have been out of work for a few months and we have kids at Uni.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

495Posts Today

4,841Users online

Martin's Twitter