PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Does anyone want to join me waiting to find a house to buy?

Comments

• SuzieSue
    SuzieSue Posts: 4,096 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    hazyjo wrote: »
    Really... how much do you use the garden? Do you really want full sunshine? If it's warm enough you'll be out anyway and won't have to worry about burning. I'm always hunting down shade when our garden gets sunny!

Jx

That is a good point. A SW facing garden might seem ideal, but it will become very hot and you won't be able to have a conservatory which is usable in the summer (I know this isn't relevant to copperjar).

If you are at home all day (like I am) then an east facing garden is fine as you will get sun all day in the summer until around 5pm and even then you might get some sun depending on how the sun is affected by other buildings. However, if you like to come home and get some sun in the evening then a south or west facing garden would be ideal. But as I am sure you know, house buying is all about compromise.
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    SuzieSue wrote: »
    That is a good point. A SW facing garden might seem ideal, but it will become very hot and you won't be able to have a conservatory which is usable in the summer (I know this isn't relevant to copperjar).

If you are at home all day (like I am) then an east facing garden is fine as you will get sun all day in the summer until around 5pm and even then you might get some sun depending on how the sun is affected by other buildings. However, if you like to come home and get some sun in the evening then a south or west facing garden would be ideal. But as I am sure you know, house buying is all about compromise.

Yeah, exactly that. As I mentioned on page 1, my garden is north facing(!) but we get the sun in the PM and into the evening. Our favourite times at home are sitting in the garden when it's warm with the music on. I don't enjoy sitting in blasting sun - we get it when it sets (no house blocking that side) and it's slowly moving down all afternoon. Honestly, it's lovely! Really does depend on what's blocking the sun, ie other houses.

Jx
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • I can't actually work out where our garden faces in the new house. I believe it may be North East but I cant tell from google as it was only built last year so isnt even on the maps. The house is not surrounded by any buildings and has beautiful views of the welsh valleys so if we don't get much sun in the winter, I'm not too disheartened.

I might drive up tomorrow, park outside and get my compass out :)
  • MeandO
    MeandO Posts: 2,902 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Sounds exciting Copperjar, good luck - let us know how it all goes!
    I think you were right to walk away from the other place too. It doesn't sound like you would be too happy there.

The house I saw was really nice. I liked it a lot.

It didn't make my heart sing like the one I was originally purchasing, but I could see how I could make it really lovely. The rooms sizes were all good, there's a large, long back garden, albeit North facing. :(

But...

parking is a pain in the backside there. On street residents parking, which is free, but I'm not sure I can cope with that. The area also felt very built up, mostly because of the cars parked on each side of the narrow-ish road I think.

It's really nice otherwise, but I'm a bit torn about it. Will have a think over the weekend.
    Mortgage @ 03/2019: £125K, Now: £66,970
    Mortgage OP's 2024: £738.03/£2000 Total OP’s: £8948.59
    SAVINGS: EF: £6523.98/£15,000
  • We're fairly geeky so have put together a list of "must-haves" and "would-likes" and have been ticking them off for each viewing we've had.

The property we have just put an offer on ticks EVERY box but one (proximity to a station - it's about a 10min drive away).

With so many others ticked - we've gone for it (and slightly over the top offer we had planned for), the vendor is considering so just waiting for a response now.

This is nerve-wracking.

Good luck to everyone in here on their respective searches!

• I might drive up tomorrow, park outside and get my compass out :)

That's what I did! And I get my compass out (well the one on my phone!) at every house viewing now :o

I only have two decent questions - does the garden get the sun and can I see the boiler. Haha. Need to get better at this house viewing lark!

MeandO - sounds like the house is nice. I know what you mean about parking though, that's the main issue for my partner and has already scuppered some viewings. It's difficult because I think you are comparing everything to the house you loved and lost. Is that right?
    [STRIKE]
    Total debt 1.11.10 £23,446
    [/STRIKE]
    Save £6k in 2015 #129 £6121.66/£6000
    Save £6k in 2016 #39 £6000/£6000
  • MeandO
    More to what I have now Copperjar tbh. Yes, the house that got away did have it all, but I presently live in a large ish new build with lots of light and space and trees over the back of me.
    I'm downsizing my mortgage so that I can go PT at work and see more of my little one, so am stepping backwards on the ladder so to speak. It's very difficult. :(
  • MeandO
    I've been reading people's success rate on leafleting houses in the area they are looking to move to and have decided to give it a try. I've printed out a little note and am going to post some through doors tonight. A bit nervous about it, but if you don't try you don't get I guess!!! :o
  • copperjar
    copperjar Posts: 884 Forumite
    edited 9 September 2016 at 8:36PM
    Go for it MeandO! How did you get on? I've been too nervous/scared to do it.

Viewed house this evening in same village as we live now. We will regret it if we don't go for this one I think
    [STRIKE]
    Total debt 1.11.10 £23,446
    [/STRIKE]
    Save £6k in 2015 #129 £6121.66/£6000
    Save £6k in 2016 #39 £6000/£6000
  • Let us know Copperjar!!

So....house sale/purchase has driven me crazy. Parked outside the house we are buying today and got my compass out. It is only up a country lane from us so I thought I had worked out the garden direction but I was wrong. It faces south/south east so, that put a smile on my face. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure