Petition for bankuptcy fees

Options
In order to get a debtor to pay it looks like I'm going to have to petition her for bankruptcy. Just to be clear, the debtor is a fraudster, she has the means to pay, but won't; the Sheriffs have been unable to do anything, her cars are not registered in her name and she won't answer the door to them. She has property in Spain as well as here, and the money I'm owed was stolen - she was my letting agent, she stole my tenants' rent and the tenants' deposit. Currently the Police are investigating her (finally), as evidently I'm not the only victim. The amount owed is over £5k.

So, my question concerns the fees that I have to pay to petition for her bankruptcy (I expect she'll pay once petitioned). Does the bankrupt have to pay them? There is a £280 court fee, and a £990 petition deposit. In respect of the deposit gov.uk says "If the court dismisses your petition, you’ll get your petition deposit back minus a £50 fee".

Does that mean that if the court makes the bankruptcy order I won't get any of the petition deposit back? Will these fees be added to what she has to pay me? Assuming she pays once the petition is made, and before it gets to a hearing, what about the court fee and £50 deposit cost?

Comments

• silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,960 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    You could try sending her a "Letter Before Action" requiring payment to be made within 10 working days. Enclose a copy of the completed, but not submitted, bankruptcy forms to focus her mind.

That has the advantage that (a) you won't have to pay the court costs (b) you may get your money sooner (c) she may pay you to go away and hope the other people don't chase her.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • peterkay369
    peterkay369 Posts: 164 Forumite
    Options
    If you're petitioning for her bankruptcy and (on paper) she has no way to pay, what do you aim to get back from her?

AFAIK you wont get the bankruptcy fees back.

I would say better course of action is to go via Small Claims Court, sending a letter before action as silvercar says above. That way you might actually get something back.
  • mwarby
    mwarby Posts: 2,048 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Could you use high court enforcement officers ? If TV is to believed they have quite a bit more power than sherriffs (your not in Scotland by any chance, sounds a Scottish term)
  • MEM62
    MEM62 Posts: 4,754 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If she has been that robust in resisting attempts to collect monies from her up to this point I doubt that the threat of BR will add any additional pressure.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,960 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    mwarby wrote: »
    Could you use high court enforcement officers ? If TV is to believed they have quite a bit more power than sherriffs (your not in Scotland by any chance, sounds a Scottish term)

You do need a CCJ before you can send in the HCEOs.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • mad_despot
    mad_despot Posts: 19 Forumite
    Options
    If you're petitioning for her bankruptcy and (on paper) she has no way to pay, what do you aim to get back from her?

AFAIK you wont get the bankruptcy fees back.

I would say better course of action is to go via Small Claims Court, sending a letter before action as silvercar says above. That way you might actually get something back.

Thanks, I've got a CCJ against her, and the Sheriffs have not been able to get anything out of her. She can pay, she just refuses.

And yes, I've determined that I'm going to have to pay for the bankruptcy, which will actually cost about £1300.

It's not a fair system for the victims of these people.
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,496 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    It costs nothing to issue a statutory demand. Have you done that?

https://www.gov.uk/statutory-demands/overview
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport