iboost stopping working

Hi Guys,

Not sure if any of you have experience of the iboost?

Its been working perfectly since we had the panels installed 2 years ago,

Looked at the "Saved amount" on mine last night and it had been zero for the past few (very sunny) days.

It didnt have any error like for example the transmitters battery running out. I replaced them anyway just in case. The icon in the top right flashes every now and then and i think this means its getting signal. When you press the manual boost button it comes on ok.

Any idea what could be wrong? Maybe the immersion heater could be faulty and not accepting any current?
Mortgage Free 22/03/17
MissWillow is my OH!

Comments

• ajbell
    ajbell Posts: 1,151 Forumite
    Ring up marlec and ask them to troubleshoot it with you. Could be the thermostat.
    I'm on my 3rd one now.
    4kWp, South facing, 16 x phono solar panels, Solis inverter, Lincolnshire.
  • Dave_Fowler
    Dave_Fowler Posts: 612 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    If the manual boost button turns the immersion circuit on and the water heats, there's nothing wrong with the immersion or the wiring to it.

Have you checked the current clamp on the lead from the consumer unit. If the clamp has come loose it will register no current.

Dave F
    Solar PV System 1: 2.96kWp South+8 degrees. Roof 38 degrees. 'Normal' system
    Solar PV System 2: 3.00kWp South-4 degrees. Roof 28 degrees. SolarEdge system
    EV car, PodPoint charger
    Lux LXP 3600 ACS + 6 x 2.4kWh Aoboet LFP 2400 battery storage. Installed Feb 2021
  • JimLad
    JimLad Posts: 950 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Thankyou for the help guys. I double checked the thermostat and there was a trip button on the side that i hadn't noticed, and guess what....it was tripped! I pushed it back in and boom, "heating by solar".

Any ideas what could have caused that? I will check it again when i get home tonight, hopefully it was a one off surge or something
    Mortgage Free 22/03/17
    MissWillow is my OH!
  • Dave_Fowler
    JimLad wrote: »
    Thankyou for the help guys. I double checked the thermostat and there was a trip button on the side that i hadn't noticed, and guess what....it was tripped! I pushed it back in and boom, "heating by solar".

Any ideas what could have caused that? I will check it again when i get home tonight, hopefully it was a one off surge or something

The button trip should not operate under normal circumstances. It should operate only if the main thermostat fails - that's the one with the adjustable dial.

The adjustable thermostat sits inside a tube which is immersed in the water. The secondary button trip usually only monitors the temperature of the thermostat housing at the top of the immersion where the wires are connected. It would be worth checking the tightness of the screws holding the wires to the immersion block. If one of them is loose, the contacts would become hot and heat up the housing and cause the trip to operate,

Usual warning: isolate the supply before checking the terminals.

Dave F
    EV car, PodPoint charger
    Lux LXP 3600 ACS + 6 x 2.4kWh Aoboet LFP 2400 battery storage. Installed Feb 2021
  • JimLad
    The button trip should not operate under normal circumstances. It should operate only if the main thermostat fails - that's the one with the adjustable dial.

The adjustable thermostat sits inside a tube which is immersed in the water. The secondary button trip usually only monitors the temperature of the thermostat housing at the top of the immersion where the wires are connected. It would be worth checking the tightness of the screws holding the wires to the immersion block. If one of them is loose, the contacts would become hot and heat up the housing and cause the trip to operate,

Usual warning: isolate the supply before checking the terminals.

Dave F

Ah interesting i will have a look. Would it be possible to come loose even though its behind a housing and never touched?

When i pushed it in, it started heating by solar and then stopped when the tank was hot so i assume the thermostat still works?
    Mortgage Free 22/03/17
    MissWillow is my OH!
  • Dave_Fowler
    JimLad wrote: »
    Ah interesting i will have a look. Would it be possible to come loose even though its behind a housing and never touched?

When i pushed it in, it started heating by solar and then stopped when the tank was hot so i assume the thermostat still works?

It could just be that the main thermostat got stuck; this can happen sometimes. Needs to be watched as once it has happened it will occur more frequently.

The heating and cooling of the immersion heater can cause the screws to loosen if they were not very tight in the first place. If the screws are tight and the problem occurs again I'd just go out and buy a new thermostat. They are simply a push-fit into the sleeve tube.

Dave F
    EV car, PodPoint charger
  • ChopperST
    ChopperST Posts: 1,257 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Had the same thing with the thermal cut out on our old thermostat, just dialled down the temp a little and its not happened since.
  • JimLad
    Well its not tripped all weekend and its been a scorcher...fingers crossed it was a one off!
    Mortgage Free 22/03/17
    MissWillow is my OH!
  • Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,330 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    If it starts being a problem, you may have overdone it with the main thermostat. Try dialling it down a bit.

The second trip is a safety cut-out to prevent the water in the tank boiling if the main thermostat sticks on (which happens from time to time).

If the main thermostat is turned up to max, it's not unknown for the safety on to trip.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • JimLad
    Ectophile wrote: »
    If it starts being a problem, you may have overdone it with the main thermostat. Try dialling it down a bit.

The second trip is a safety cut-out to prevent the water in the tank boiling if the main thermostat sticks on (which happens from time to time).

If the main thermostat is turned up to max, it's not unknown for the safety on to trip.

Its tripped again over the weekend so i have dialed in back to 3. It was set at 4 on a 1-5 scale.
    Mortgage Free 22/03/17
    MissWillow is my OH!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family