What happens if you go over the transfer limit (but not the credit limit)?

I made a BT to a Halifax card today and by transferring the 'amount available to transfer', I have managed to go past the 90/95% (would need to check my spreadsheet) allowed for transfers.

1) Is this a major issue? I.e. can they demand repayment
2) Are the figures that show the amount available to transfer unreliable? This is the 2nd transfer I've made to the card, so while there are a couple of transactions to settle, I wouldn't have imagined that it was particularly difficult to calculate!

I remain well within the credit limit.

Comments

• molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,818 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 23 May 2017 at 7:22PM
    Many cards have a strange idea of what the 95% figure is based on so I wouldn't worry. It stated that amount was available to transfer and they allowed it. Just did a check and Halifax will only allow me to BT to 94.4%. Tesco allow 95% of the available credit so I managed 99% with multiple transfers.
  • edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,458 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Thanks for that molerat, I agree that the calculations used for some cards make no sense. I've found some to be perfectly straightforward (Barclaycard), but others a bit odd. I will cease being worried and will get on with my stoozing :)
  • Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    I made a BT to a Halifax card today and by transferring the 'amount available to transfer', I have managed to go past the 90/95% (would need to check my spreadsheet) allowed for transfers.

1) Is this a major issue? I.e. can they demand repayment
    2) Are the figures that show the amount available to transfer unreliable? This is the 2nd transfer I've made to the card, so while there are a couple of transactions to settle, I wouldn't have imagined that it was particularly difficult to calculate!

I remain well within the credit limit.

I don't believe this should be a problem so long as they have allowed it to go through. Just be absolutely sure you do not to exceed your credit limit (balance transfer fee etc)..
  • My wife did two BT with Nationwide

Both when though ok.

But with fees put the account just less than £100

We got a letter, transferred the cash and all seem ok
  • Chrysalis
    Chrysalis Posts: 4,154 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I would be surprised if they suddenly demanded repayment, its mostly computer controlled, so if they approve the transfer then thats that its approved, just honour your repayments and should be fine.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure