Hogging right lane

Comments

• Iceweasel
    Iceweasel Posts: 4,707 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Sorry I didn't realise I needed to be an experienced driver in order to criticise the actions of other drivers.

I'll come back in 10 years shall I with a different view? :rotfl:

Yes - you need to have a lot more than a 'few weeks' experience to be able to meaningfully criticise others.

And yes - in 10 years time you will have a very different view of people in the right hand lane when the left lane is clear.

What you haven't told us is whether you were signalling right or not.

If you were I am sure that any following drivers would pass you on the left and not bother with any flashing lights or horns.

Your idea that if you are driving along at the speed limit means that no-one should be passing you is correct - but it's not up to you to get in people's way if they wish to exceed the speed limit.

Don't try to police the roads just yet.

If I had been in your position I would have been staying in the left lane until it was time to signal, move over to the right and keep signalling.

If you were not signalling right then I would be one of the ones who would be annoyed - well no - I wouldn't be unduly annoyed actually, because I see loads of bad driving every day and have become accustomed to it - as you will - with more experience.
  • Iceweasel wrote: »
    Yes - you need to have a lot more than a 'few weeks' experience to be able to meaningfully criticise others.

And yes - in 10 years time you will have a very different view of people in the right hand lane when the left lane is clear.

What you haven't told us is whether you were signalling right or not.

If you were I am sure that any following drivers would pass you on the left and not bother with any flashing lights or horns.

Your idea that if you are driving along at the speed limit means that no-one should be passing you is correct - but it's not up to you to get in people's way if they wish to exceed the speed limit.

Don't try to police the roads just yet.

If I had been in your position I would have been staying in the left lane until it was time to signal, move over to the right and keep signalling.

If you were not signalling right then I would be one of the ones who would be annoyed - well no - I wouldn't be unduly annoyed actually, because I see loads of bad driving every day and have become accustomed to it - as you will - with more experience.
    I disagree :) Just because I've been a qualified driver for a matter of weeks doesn't mean I'm not in a position to meaningfully criticise others driving. I, too, have seen a lot of bad driving and not only as a learner/newly qualified driver but also as a passenger and pedestrian. So what if I'm a new driver?

As for policing the roads, as the terms suggests that's the job of the police and I'm happy for them to do it thank you. The fact he wanted to break the speed limit is indeed his issue....my issue is that I was being flashed at and tailgated (both dangerous) because of it.
  • Iceweasel
    So you weren't indicating to turn right then.
  • Joe_Horner
    Joe_Horner Posts: 4,895 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Iceweasel wrote: »

That's bad practice.

Having moved to the right hand lane, people behind have no way of knowing if the continued signal means that you're turning or that you've forgotten to cancel your indicator.

The two moves (change lane / take turn) should be clearly separated including indicating separately for the two. Which means moving to the right lane in plenty of time to cancel the indication, pause long enough for that to be clear, then indicate again for the turn.

There's also the question, depending on traffic conditions, of whether you can safely move right at all closer o the turn. It's MUCH safer to be out in the lane a bit early than to be trying to force yourself out into an insufficient gap at the last second as many people seem to do.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,059 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Did you check that the lane was clear and there were no vehicles approaching before you changed lanes or did you change lanes without allowing for an approaching car? Was he travelling faster than you anticipated , in view of your comment that he was speeding.

Despite being asked several times you still have not said whether you were signalling to indicate you were turning right.
  • Joe_Horner
    Joe_Horner Posts: 4,895 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    [...] If I had changed lanes and then immediately had to slow down to take my right turn wouldn't that me more annoying for the driver behind not to mention possibly dangerous?

Yes and yes.

But considerations like that make no difference to the "left at all costs" brigade.

They're usually the ones you'll see passing, then moving left just in time to move straight out again because otherwise they'll rear-end the lorry 100 yds ahead of you. They're also often the ones who'll tailgate you (dangerously) if you're passing someone and fail to swerve in and out of gaps as above yourself.

But the ONLY rule they remember is "keep left" and that's what they assess all driving standards by. Their tailgating is justified by you not moving left, their continual weaving (potentially dangerous in itself) is justified by their adherence to the One True Rule.
  • Iceweasel
    Joe_Horner wrote: »
    That's bad practice.

Having moved to the right hand lane, people behind have no way of knowing if the continued signal means that you're turning or that you've forgotten to cancel your indicator.

The two moves (change lane / take turn) should be clearly separated including indicating separately for the two. Which means moving to the right lane in plenty of time to cancel the indication, pause long enough for that to be clear, then indicate again for the turn.

OK Joe - on second reading it doesn't sound right to me either -i'll have another go and rephrase it:

If I had been in your position I would have been staying in the left lane until it was time to signal, move over to the right and then start signalling for the right turn.

If the OP is going to sit in the right lane without signalling right - and with the left lane clear, he/she is going to frustrate/annoy loads of people - many of whom will want to exceed the speed limit.

He/she can avoid the tailgating and flashing of headlights by making his/her intentions more clear.
  • Well apart from his lights blinding me because he wanted to break the speed limit, I suppose it's not really relevant is it?

Nope it's not relevant especially as you have no idea why he wanted to break the speed limit.
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    So you weren't indicating to turn right then.

+1

The O/P seems to be avoiding answering that...

If the O/P was sitting in the RH lane, and not overtaking, and not indicating, then for all intents and purposes it would look like they are in the "wrong" lane.

It doesnt make the behaviour of the rear car correct, however if you're in the right lane because you're turning right, then you should be indicating right.

Would love to hear the other drivers version of it though ;)
  • Joe_Horner wrote: »
    That's bad practice.

There's also the question, depending on traffic conditions, of whether you can safely move right at all closer o the turn. It's MUCH safer to be out in the lane a bit early than to be trying to force yourself out into an insufficient gap at the last second as many people seem to do.

:T
    sheramber wrote: »
    Did you check that the lane was clear and there were no vehicles approaching before you changed lanes or did you change lanes without allowing for an approaching car? Was he travelling faster than you anticipated , in view of your comment that he was speeding.

Despite being asked several times you still have not said whether you were signalling to indicate you were turning right.

The lane was clear to move over. I didn't need to indicate at that point. As I said, I moved over in good time (but not too early) so not to be a nuisance by changing lanes at the last minute like some of you seem to be suggesting that I should have done.
    OK Joe - on second reading it doesn't sound right to me either -i'll have another go and rephrase it:

If I had been in your position I would have been staying in the left lane until it was time to signal, move over to the right and then start signalling for the right turn.

If the OP is going to sit in the right lane without signalling right - and with the left lane clear, he/she is going to frustrate/annoy loads of people - many of whom will want to exceed the speed limit.

He/she can avoid the tailgating and flashing of headlights by making his/her intentions more clear.
    Where did you get the idea I was "sitting" in the right lane? I'm getting the impression that a lot of people here seem to think that the right lane is for impatient drivers that want to speed to get to their destination and that everyone else should get out their way.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure