Second Purse Challenge 2012

Comments

• Hi :) i'm new to MSE and would like to join this challenge please!
    I would like to save £200 towards a holiday in the summer!
    So thats £0/£200
    Thanks! :D
  • HelenPie
    HelenPie Posts: 502 Forumite
    sam09 wrote: »
    Please can i join? I would like to save £120 for a hair makeover:)

So for example if i bought 5 packs of canderel at half price i use my 2nd purse to buy them then transfer the savings to my third purse?

if I'm understanding correctly, you could of course do it that way, or leave the savings in your 2nd purse for more bargains.

so

Buy 5 packs at half price using 2nd purse
    each time you use a pack, transfer full price from grocery budget to second purse.
    move money from 2nd to 3rd when you've built up a little pot.

it is effectively the same thing as just saving the saving in the long run, if that makes sense?
    :j
    Debt Free By Xmas 2013 #010 £16,660.26/£16,660.26 100% paid, DFD 25/06/13! :D
    :j
  • Thanks for setting this up Kerri - can I join please? I'll have to start it next week though when we (royal 'we'!) get paid if that's OK. But in the meantime I'll get to grips with the spreadsheet. My dream item to save for will be new cushions for my lounge as mine constantly have feathers flying out of them and it drives me mad! I suppose it'll cost me about £80.00.
    Pay debt in 2012 #278 £2347/£5364
    Sealed Pot 5 #1713 £78.57 //Crazy Clothes Challenge #97 £79.49/£100
    Grocery Challenge:
    Feb £359/£360 Mar £390/£450 Apr £335/£320
    May £330/£320 Jun £455/£400 Jul £321/£320
    Aug £399/£370 Sep £345/£300 Oct £421/£400 Nov £0/£320
  • I leave the savings in the 2nd Purse until I reach £100, then anything above that at the end of the month gets put in the 3rd Purse for the goodies.

I joined the grocery challenge well over a year ago, and although I was saving money with the 2nd and 3rd Purse, I was still overspending on my grocery budget, mainly luxury items, the girls on there helped me kick that habit, and I now put the money I would have spent in a wee ISA. I've managed to save £5,000 in it since joining MSE. I've not done the GC since July. I'm pretty much in control of my spending.
    I've always been a spender but never a saver. The money I saved gave me more to fritter away. I don't do that now.

I still check the grabbit boards regularly, especially for the Amazon reduced grocery 'deals' that pop up regularly with free delivery. My husband used to laugh at me and my family all called me a wee hamster, with stuff hidden everywhere.

One of my DD asked me how I never run out of anything, and I always seem to be able to buy what I want when I want and I'm NEVER skint, so I explained the 2nd Purse to her, now she does it. She uses the money she saves for holidays, my other DD has started doing it too.

This website has been a great support, all like minded folk sharing their ideas trying to survive. And having fun doing it , cant be bad.:)
    1st Purse £114.19 Monthly GB
    2nd Purse ££100
    :rotfl::j:wave::j:rotfl:
    Fridge Freezer £300 3rd Purse /£290.94
  • sam09_2
    sam09_2 Posts: 87 Forumite
    HelenPie wrote: »
    if I'm understanding correctly, you could of course do it that way, or leave the savings in your 2nd purse for more bargains.

so

Buy 5 packs at half price using 2nd purse
    each time you use a pack, transfer full price from grocery budget to second purse.
    move money from 2nd to 3rd when you've built up a little pot.

it is effectively the same thing as just saving the saving in the long run, if that makes sense?

Ah ok thanks i get it now! Im looking forward to my hair makeover already:)
  • Florenceem
    Florenceem Posts: 7,912 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Hi, can I join please? I am not sure what to put as my dream purchase so can I put - still thinking?
    Decluttering Achieved - 2023 - 10,364 Decluttering Target - 2024 - 2,874 April - 242/190
    GC NSD 2023 - 242/365
    2023 Craft Makes - 245 Craft Spends 2023 - £676.03/£400
    Books read - 2023 - 37
    GC - 2024 4 Week Period £42.50/£100 NSD - 73
    2024 Craft Makes - 1946 Craft Spends 2024 £289.64/£500
  • Coxy11
    Coxy11 Posts: 4,869 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Hi there please can i join the party ;)

I'm going to put £10 away each month to start with and my dream item will be a KitchenAid (like dreamerbea). Will probably take me a while lol!

Thanks for setting up the thread kerri_dfw, and for the spreadsheet it's fabbbbbb:D
    Cross-stitch WIP: Durene Jones Haberdashery Shop 365 1p challenge member No.6 Read 24 books in 2024 - currently reading Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn 12/24
  • AlwaysHappy
    AlwaysHappy Posts: 1,506 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Hello - can I join too please, started the purse with £10 in a fortnight ago and now have 7p left in it BUT will have doubled my money when I buy it back so all good. Can't wait to either use "my shop" or get my next £10 on the 1st so that I can buy more stock for my "business" - my husband thinks i've lost the plot but has asked if I would like him to put another shelf up - he knows me so well! I would love an almond le creuset casserole - not sure on price - estimate £120 which I wouldn't normally be able to justify in a million years - bring it on!!!
    I'm not a failure if I don't make it, I'm a success because I :tried!
  • artypaws
    artypaws Posts: 1,876 Forumite
    Coxy11 wrote: »
    Hi there please can i join the party ;)

I'm going to put £10 away each month to start with and my dream item will be a KitchenAid (like dreamerbea). Will probably take me a while lol!

Thanks for setting up the thread kerri_dfw, and for the spreadsheet it's fabbbbbb:D

oooh - I am already drooling about what colour I would like - but I will be patient.

Just explained 2nd purse to DH so he knows what I am doing then if he takes something out of my store he will let me know and I can update the spreadsheet
  • rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Great idea to have a separate thread for this kerri :T

I'm trying to reduce my stocks a little so will just be reading, will be watching progress, Good Luck everyone! :dance:
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family