Bank wouldn't let me cancel my packaged account - can I claim?

Options
I called the bank over 12 months ago and tried to reduce our overdraft limit and get rid of the packaged items we have on our joint account. I was told that the only way to do this was to come into the bank in person with my husband. At the time this was a practically impossible task. I asked whether or not a letter signed by both of us would be ok instead and they said no you have to be there in person to make this change.

Is that true or were they lying?

I am now in a position to arrange a meeting in person with both of us there - although it is still not straightforward as they have just closed my nearest branch:huh: - and I will be cancelling the packaged account. I will also reclaim the charges as I'm pretty sure we were miss-sold in the first place. I really irks me that when I realized the account was useless I couldn't just cancel it online or via e-mail or even a good old letter.

I'm pretty sure the only reason for getting you into the bank is to sell you something else you don't need.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Sarah_Hart wrote: »

Is that true or were they lying?

You'll need to ask them. We don't know which bank you use or what their policy is.
  • Sarah_Hart
    Options
    Lloyds. I'll check their policy. Thanks.
  • streamlined1990
    streamlined1990 Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 31 May 2017 at 6:36AM
    Options
    I would imagine it is either to sign to downgrade, it certainly is with HBOS joint accounts, in which case you have cause to complain.

It's a bit of a stretch that the call would be found and unless there are any system notes it would be your word against the banks. If you have used the package and were just looking to close it I would advise disclosing that. If you don't lie, most reasonable case handlers will take your word for it over a 12 month fee refund (£180.00 or so)
  • mailmannz
    mailmannz Posts: 311 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Lodge your complaint and see where it takes you!

Make your case to the FOS via Resolver (because the bank won't find in your favour) and if they deem the bank was unreasonable then its all good for you!

Regards

Mailman
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,378 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Make your case to the FOS via Resolver (because the bank won't find in your favour) and if they deem the bank was unreasonable then its all good for you!

The FOS will not look at the complaint without it being reviewed by the bank first. All the FOS will do is send it on to the bank.

Also, if the bank rejects then the odds of the FOS overruling the bank is low. The FOS only overturns around 13% of packaged bank account rejections.

There is also no need to use a third party tool like resolver that harvests data to be sold. It is easier just to send the complaint direct to the bank.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure