Any other depression sufferers here?

Just having a bit of a bad time at the minute.

Funny thing with depression is things can be going absolutely fine and yet you still get caught up. Also, there's usually nothing really identifiable that makes you slip into it.

I'm 32, and if you saw me or met me you'd think I was a usual "lad" or "normal guy". I like football, I have some jokes, etc...

Yet I do suffer from depression. Things effect me at different times. If I'm feeling good then for months on end it doesn't even phase me. However like now it can get me.

The funny thing is, even missing a train makes it worse, or losing some money, or forgetting something. Embarassingly it makes me feel sorry for myself. I hate that.

This is not a sad post... I'm just saying how it is. I'm absolutely fine, yet I do feel quite sh**tty at the moment
Amo L'Italia

Comments

• zagubov
    zagubov Posts: 17,886 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    redrabbit there will always be people here who will be happy to listen.

But much more important, do your kith and kin know how you feel and are you getting proper medical attention by qualified people.

It's really important that you don't keep or confine your worries and concerns to this virtual world. Our emotions are too important to be dealt with entirely like that. Please keep your loved ones updated, always.
    There is no honour to be had in not knowing a thing that can be known - Danny Baker
  • TE1979
    TE1979 Posts: 188 Forumite
    The worst part of depression for me - would be waking up in the morning, not having the motivation to do anything. A no care attitude towards life itself. I know an excellent place to chat for depression sufferers. If you are interested. I'll send it to you in a private message. It's open 24/7 with a safe, friendly community.☺
  • redrabbit29
    redrabbit29 Posts: 1,074 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    TE1979 wrote: »
    The worst part of depression for me - would be waking up in the morning, not having the motivation to do anything. A no care attitude towards life itself. I know an excellent place to chat for depression sufferers. If you are interested. I'll send it to you in a private message. It's open 24/7 with a safe, friendly community.☺

hey - yes please, that would be good to have that

thanks
    Amo L'Italia
  • catkins
    catkins Posts: 5,703 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    I have suffered from depression on and off for over 40 years. It is horrible and you have my sympathy.

I have had various medication which didn't help but did give me various side effects and counselling which also didn't help.

I have also suffered panic attacks and at one time I didn't leave the house for over 6 months at all, hardly ate, rarely washed etc.

I am nowhere near as bad now but I have good and bad days. I can wake up feeling really bad for no reason and not want to get out of bed but I force myself as I have a dog that needs to be walked, fed etc.

For me I find music really helps. I usually take my dog for a walk and put in my earphones and listen to lively music. It means I don't have to talk to anyone because when I am down I don't want to talk and the walk and the music almost always start making me feel a bit brighter. Then when I get back I put on some cd's. It's quite unusual that I don't end up feeling much better.

I also try and keep my mind occupied - reading, doing a crossword, baking - anything that keeps your mind off the fact that you are feeling low
    The world is over 4 billion years old and yet you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie
  • Pyxis
    Pyxis Posts: 46,077 Forumite
    redrabbit.....

I have tried to PM you about something you might be interested in, but your inbox is full.

If you could make some space, I will send you the pm.......don't really want to post it on a thread! :A
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox
    Founder Member: 'WIMPS ANONYMOUS' and 'VICTIMS of the RANDOM HEDGEHOG'
    I'm in a clique! It's a clique of one! It's a unique clique!
    I love :eek:

• Nomoonatall
    Nomoonatall Posts: 1,173 Forumite
    Just having a bit of a bad time at the minute.

Funny thing with depression is things can be going absolutely fine and yet you still get caught up. Also, there's usually nothing really identifiable that makes you slip into it.

I'm 32, and if you saw me or met me you'd think I was a usual "lad" or "normal guy". I like football, I have some jokes, etc...

Yet I do suffer from depression. Things effect me at different times. If I'm feeling good then for months on end it doesn't even phase me. However like now it can get me.

The funny thing is, even missing a train makes it worse, or losing some money, or forgetting something. Embarassingly it makes me feel sorry for myself. I hate that.

This is not a sad post... I'm just saying how it is. I'm absolutely fine, yet I do feel quite sh**tty at the moment

Hi,

Hope you're coping okay. I may have mentioned on previous threads...you really need to see a doctor, particularly one that 'understands'.

I wish you well, it's a long road that'll take time for you to even think about getting there. I'm still trying to find my way! Urgh, I'm quoting inspirational type stuff...sorry!

Good luck x
  • Fellow sufferer here.

First I need to clarify, for those who may not know, that if you're depressed about something, then you are not depressed, just feeling sad or fed up. If the subject matter for being depressed is removed then HEY! the depression goes. That is not depression.

Those who are depressed are so for no good reason and a significant lottery win still wouldn't fix it. (I am available for any trials though!)

My depression (coupled with stress, anxiety and panic attacks) all revolve about one thing which isn't going away and even if it did I would still be broken.

I'm an analytical, rational person with an engineering background following a university degree and so I always like to know how things work and how to fix them when the don't. I can't even understand how I am like this and have no way to fix it myself. Which is depressing. I can't even do the things I used to do, I can barely trust myself to change a fuse even on a good day. Which is depressing.

I have learnt that if I start off with a bad morning that it will not get any better and so curtail my activities to the bare essentials, and I mean the absolute minimum. I had a really bad couple of days last week that came from nothing but on the Friday morning I felt really really good. Again there is no explanation to it. On these rare okay days I don't go mad and try to catch up on everything, I just get a few things done and feel good about it.

Depression is in itself depressing. When I'm under the black cloud I try not to think about it and just occupying myself with any mindless activity that stops me thinking. Whether that be playing Solitaire on the laptop or watching an easy to follow movie or, hardest of all, trying to read a book.

The best remedy that has any effect is my dogs. They need a walk and I love being out with them, the problem is the 'going out in the first place' bit. And they cuddle up close and show loads of love and affection and play fight together that it does lift me a little and motivates me to get going. And more importantly, they don't judge me.

Doctors, medication, CBT, support groups, I've tried it all and I'm still the same except that I now accept it better and don't try to fight it.

To anyone else that suffers similarly I'd have said, 'get a grip and pull yourself together,' so I understand better when anyone else tries that with me.

Anyway, this isn't my final year thesis, so I'll stop now. To anyone blighted by depression I say...

'Don't worry, Be happy!' (Joke)
    I don't like morning people. Or mornings. Or people.
  • Depression is a very weird thing. When I was younger, depression and anxiety used to drive me forward career and health wise. I was awkward around girls and literally had no friends, so I worked to jobs so that way I was at least richer than my peers. I also used to go gym so I would be in shape when I did meet that girl.

Then something weird happened. I started making friends. Met a beautiful girl who ended up being my wife. I had dreams of earning £25k a year, now I earn £50k. Never thought I would own my own home, now I have 2 bedrooms and a garden. Everything I dreamt about, things I genuinely thought was not possible, have all come. However, the anxiety that drove me is gone but the depression remains. I simply don't care.

I wake up everyday and I can't be bothered to work, and not worried at all about the consequences of not being so. I count the weeks left where my insurance policy will pay out for suicide. Waste my whole day daydreaming and staring out the window.

I can't figure out what it is that will get me back on track. What I can do to get my mojo back. Sadly, it could just be a chemical thing that I have little to no control of.
  • Lolly88
    Lolly88 Posts: 322 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I don't have much to add except to say I know how you feel, this is something I have struggled with for my whole life and will probably continue to struggle with forever.
    TE1979 wrote: »

Would you mind sending me this information, I'm quite interested.
    Homeowner
    :j
  • Pyxis
    Pyxis Posts: 46,077 Forumite
    Depression is a very weird thing. When I was younger, depression and anxiety used to drive me forward career and health wise. I was awkward around girls and literally had no friends, so I worked to jobs so that way I was at least richer than my peers. I also used to go gym so I would be in shape when I did meet that girl.

Then something weird happened. I started making friends. Met a beautiful girl who ended up being my wife. I had dreams of earning £25k a year, now I earn £50k. Never thought I would own my own home, now I have 2 bedrooms and a garden. Everything I dreamt about, things I genuinely thought was not possible, have all come. However, the anxiety that drove me is gone but the depression remains. I simply don't care.

I wake up everyday and I can't be bothered to work, and not worried at all about the consequences of not being so. I count the weeks left where my insurance policy will pay out for suicide. Waste my whole day daydreaming and staring out the window.

I can't figure out what it is that will get me back on track. What I can do to get my mojo back. Sadly, it could just be a chemical thing that I have little to no control of.

(((((((((((Andrew))))))))))))))

I know you want the dreadful blackness to stop, but suicide isn't the only way to make it stop.
    You mentioned it possibly being a chemical thing. You are probably right. There are other metabolic disorders the body can undergo, which are remedied by taking the appropriate medication. For instance, Type 1 Diabetes.
    The first step is to ask about what help is available. That help may be in the form of medication, or it may be in another form, or combination of forms.

Have you discussed how you feel with your wife? If not, that would be the first step, and then together, you could find out more.

Please remember that you may feel very, very alone, but you aren't. There are a great many people who feel as you do.

Also remember, that if someone has diabetes, it has nothing to do with how good or bad their life is. It's the same with depression....it is a disorder that is no respecter of whether one is successful or not, happily married or not. To suggest that someone has no reason to have depression is the same as suggesting that someone has no reason to have diabetes, if you see what I mean! :A
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox
    Founder Member: 'WIMPS ANONYMOUS' and 'VICTIMS of the RANDOM HEDGEHOG'
    I'm in a clique! It's a clique of one! It's a unique clique!
    I love :eek:

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport