MSE News: MSE Big Energy Switch Event 5: British Gas £300/yr saving for new &...

Comments

• Well I too am waiting for the switch to complete. Submitted my readings on the 8th and the online account still thinks they haven't arrived. My ongoing service account has disappeared. Get into a loop back to the account page when I try to find out about smart meters. So much for the improved service that MSE says has been lined up. Will take the advice I've seen online here and sit tight for a few days before I really hit the roof.....
  • British_Gas_Rep_Matt
    British_Gas_Rep_Matt Posts: 179 Organisation Representative
    edited 12 October 2016 at 3:37PM
    I'm beginning to wish that I hadn't switched. I was very happy with Eon's customer service and online account and seriously thought about staying with them and paying for a higher tariff just because of this. So far I've tried 3 times to submit my meter readings online with BG and 3 times I've had emails asking me to do it again (one addresssed to Dear None). Finally I thought I would use the 24 hour telephone service to do it only to go through all the security and be told that I can't do it that way either as their offices are closed. I don't think British Gas and myself will have a very long relationship!

Hi Suemichelle, I'm sorry it's not been a great start; however if you stick with us, I'm confident you won't regret it.
    We've different number for our automated phone system & only one of them can accept opening readings, the other is only for readings used on bills. Do you remember the number you rang?
    In the meantime, please use the following link: https://www.britishgas.co.uk/youraccount/discover/submit-meter-reading.html to submit your readings.
    Alternatively if you prefer, you can call our Collective Tariff Team on 0800 975 9712 and an advisor will sort everything out. The lines are open 8am-8pm weekdays & 8am-6pm Saturdays. Cheers, Matt
    I am the official company representative of British Gas. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • British_Gas_Rep_Matt
    I too have had multiple emails for metre readings even though I have resubmitted them each time, either via laptop or tablet app. (I used the same readings to avoid any confusion - these were taken on due day of switch, 3 Oct). I have even received a satisfaction survey email to complete of how my switch went! I have not even been notified that I actually have an account with BG. I spoke to an adviser last week who confirmed they have the readings who said the system is 'behind'.....

Does not inspire confidence....

Hi Rainee E Day, the link to submit opening readings on your online account remains visible even after you've submitted the readings.

Sorry for the confusion it's caused and we'll get it removed as soon as your account is fully set up. Cheers, Matt
    I am the official company representative of British Gas. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • I appear to now have two gas accounts, one electricity account and one energy account. I have submitted opening meter readings on every one so far - with energy being the last one. I think energy was the correct one.....
  • Haffiana
    Haffiana Posts: 733 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Yes, I wonder if any of the people complaining about their meter readings not being registered are submitting them on the wrong account. You need to find the drop down menu and select the Energy account - it will have a number beginning in 85. The 'gas' and 'electricity' accounts are not the right ones to submit the readings on.
  • Haffiana wrote: »
    Yes, I wonder if any of the people complaining about their meter readings not being registered are submitting them on the wrong account. You need to find the drop down menu and select the Energy account - it will have a number beginning in 85. The 'gas' and 'electricity' accounts are not the right ones to submit the readings on.
    Appreciate your advice, but the BG rep has already said that it is the fault of the website...the website has the figures that we've all been inputting, it just isn't showing customers that it has received them.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,955 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    ...and gas switch now delayed for the fourth time! :angry:
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • British_Gas_Rep_Matt
    Well I too am waiting for the switch to complete. Submitted my readings on the 8th and the online account still thinks they haven't arrived. My ongoing service account has disappeared. Get into a loop back to the account page when I try to find out about smart meters. So much for the improved service that MSE says has been lined up. Will take the advice I've seen online here and sit tight for a few days before I really hit the roof.....

Hi Keithgawler, sorry for the confusion.
    As you may've seen from some of the other posts, the link to submit your readings isn't dynamic, which means it's still displayed after you've clicked it and submitted your readings.

Once your account is fully set up you'll be able to view all your readings & if you'd like to check anything in the meantime, please just call our Collective Tariff Team on 0800 975 9712. Cheers, Matt
  • I think what we need to know from british gas is

When will the website be fixed so that account infomation is showing correctly and what too do if an account is still not showing correctly.
    And what is the next step after a complaint fails to address our account issues?

Im happy to listen to any feedback from british gas agent.
  • Customer service re switching seems very muddled and confused – from both sides. Keeping the customer informed does not seem important to either. Phoned BG on dedicated number to try and get this sorted as I shortly go abroad for a month. Online account seems ok now except for metre readings not showing but hoped to finalise switch before I go. I was obviously in cloud cuckoo land.

Customer Adviser said waiting to hear from EON about agreeing with my metre readings. He could not tell me date BG sent this request.

Phoned EON – who said they had not received a request for this from BG.

Phoned BG again – spoke to same person as previously who confirmed readings sent to EON because they had record of my gas reading being returned and 'knocked back by' 4 units.

Phoned EON - who now said they had used my reading and final gas bill had been prepared using this and no record of change or being 'knocked back'. She advised electricity takes longer.

BG have at least confirmed my account is showing with them on National Grid from expected date, and date of metre readings. Obviously no chance of this being finalised soon as EON have 31 days wind up my account.

So, who is waiting to hear from who? Who is playing about with my (accurate) metre readings? Who wishes they had never started this? :(
    “Rain drops are not the ones who bring the clouds.”
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport