Leaving BT - charges?

I am thinking of leaving BT once my 12 mth contract is up.

I've heard somewhere that there are disconnection charges - is this true?

Comments

• Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,298 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    only if you cease broadband , if you migrate to Sky/TalkTalk/PlusNet etc via the switching service then no
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • Browntoa wrote: »
    only if you cease broadband , if you migrate to Sky/TalkTalk/PlusNet etc via the switching service then no

I can't see it costs them anything to disconnect me but then they're in the money making business. Charges and costs bear no relation I guess.
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,298 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    its a chargeable Openreach charge , applies to all suppliers if you cease , Ofcom approved years ago

its waived if you switch I assume as it may not involve a BT visit
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • Gambler
    Gambler Posts: 3,213 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I assume they don't refund the monthly charges you pay in advance?

I would have stayed but their retention deals this time around are awful.
  • Just cancel the DD
  • Gambler
    Gambler Posts: 3,213 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Weisenwolf wrote: »
    Just cancel the DD

Already taken. I'll move in the next few days so transfer should coincide with the billing period.

Just can't decide, Vodafone or Sky.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    See the Vodafone posts first .
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Weisenwolf wrote: »
    Just cancel the DD
    This is not a good idea until the final bill is sorted.
  • iniltous
    iniltous Posts: 3,072 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 13 October 2016 at 5:14PM
    pioneer31 wrote: »
    I can't see it costs them anything to disconnect me but then they're in the money making business. Charges and costs bear no relation I guess.

Openreach send an engineer to the exchange to disconnect your line from the broadband equipment and restore it to an ordinary exchange line, ( working or stopped line, depending if you are keeping telephony or ceasing both services), they also amend records so all providers can see the 'new' status of the line to the property, incase a new service is needed in the future.
    This work benefits the broadband provider that you are disconnecting from, ( it frees up their broadband equipment) it obviously costs OR time, effort and money in engineer wages, fuel for van etc, etc ) to do this task, so why would they do it for free ? they charge the internet service provider , the ISP normally passes the charge onto their soon to be ex customer,
    You may think £30 is a lot for the amount of work involved, but it's all relative, what does a plumber charge for a five minute job ?, more than £30 I bet , don't confuse BT consumer and Openreach, you don't pay OR anything directly, but OR charge BT , same as they charge Sky or Talk Talk etc
    If you move provider rather than just cease your broadband, this charge doesn't apply, as the work is done by default when the new ISP is connected
  • Buzby
    Buzby Posts: 8,275 Forumite
    pioneer31 wrote: »

BT are billed by Openreach - the termination cost is detailed in your contract for service.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure