Comping Guide - Getting Started & Other FAQs

Comments

• VelvetGlove
    VelvetGlove Posts: 12,008 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    A quick tip about googling for your name to see if you have won comps - google alert is a great feature, you can set it to search for a set phrase every day and it will email you when it finds a new site. I have mine set to search for my name everyday and it works really well, it does help that I have an unusual name I suppose!

This is the link:
    http://www.google.com/alerts

I've been using this since you posted about it chickaroonee & it really does work like a charm! :) It flags up quite a few results which aren't comp wins but it did let me know that my recent Elemis win was now on site - if the email had gone astray or into my junk & I'd missed it then I could have gotten straight onto the site concerned :) Nice one, thanks for sharing it with us all :)

It's now included in the Guide :)
    Sad because you don't know what to do? :sad: Comping question? Take a look in the Comping Guide to find out :smiley:
  • VelvetGlove
    Please note that I've just updated post 8 with the smilies which we can all use to politely let other compers know 'stuff' :) Feel free to copy & use as required :)
    Sad because you don't know what to do? :sad: Comping question? Take a look in the Comping Guide to find out :smiley:
  • I am having real problems downloading roboform and google toolbar. I am clicking on RUN and it is coming up as a security warning for both. Can anyone offer any advice?
    Competition wins in 2009 - Nothing so far :confused:
  • Mamzie
    Mamzie Posts: 2,540 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Maybe ask in the comp discussion thread as more people will see it there. I know I've had lots of help with roboform and forefox in that thread.
    My light may be on, but that doesn't always mean I am looking at the PC - I am far more likely to be cuddling or feeding Tianna atm, so please don't think I am ignoring you if I don't reply quickly :)

Our Precious Baby Tianna has now joined our Family, she is much loved and very welcome, xxx
  • VelvetGlove
    Couple of updates made to the Comping Guide :
    1. EMAP radio stations seem to have changed their name to Bauer Group radio stations - amended on Getting Started (II) section, item 9 Can I enter the radio station / newspaper comps on more than one of the radio station / newspaper websites? Thanks to s0ulassasin for finding the name change! :)
    2. A couple more sites added to the spammy sites list - amended on Posting Comps section, item 9 Are there any sites, from experience, which are likely to generate lots of spam? Thanks to rrickuk for his pm telling me about more sites! :)
    3. Re-worded the Guide in light of no more 'Comps Ending...' threads & also the fantastic way posters are strictly adhering to theEnd Date Convention or other compers are asking them to edit their titles :) - amended on Getting Started (I), items: 1 I want to enter comps, what should I do first? / Where do I start?! & also 2 Why can’t I search for comps that are ending on a certain date? Thanks everyone! :)
  • VelvetGlove
    Naughtynat wrote: »
    I am having real problems downloading roboform and google toolbar. I am clicking on RUN and it is coming up as a security warning for both. Can anyone offer any advice?

Hi naughtynat :hello:

Security warning sounds quite dire! Do you know what the exact wording was please as with that then we may be able to shed some light on the issue? :)

Also, when you download any add-ons a box usually comes up saying something like 'are you sure you want to run this program - is it from a reputable source?'. If that was the error message then it should be quite OK to carry on as long as you downloaded them from a reliable place :)

Sorry I didn't reply to this last night, I'm gradually trying to work my way through the Regular Competitions sub forum too & I wasn't looking around on the rest of the forum :o
  • Hi naughtynat :hello:

Security warning sounds quite dire! Do you know what the exact wording was please as with that then we may be able to shed some light on the issue? :)

Also, when you download any add-ons a box usually comes up saying something like 'are you sure you want to run this program - is it from a reputable source?'. If that was the error message then it should be quite OK to carry on as long as you downloaded them from a reliable place :)

Sorry I didn't reply to this last night, I'm gradually trying to work my way through the Regular Competitions sub forum too & I wasn't looking around on the rest of the forum :o

I am clicking on this link http://www.download.com/RoboForm/300...dlPid=10476591 which was provided by another a MSE user. When I click on the link I have a download now option.

When I click on it, it says 'File Download - Security Warning' Do you want to run or save this file? Then I have the potions to save, run or cancel. Then it says that files from the internet can be useful, but this type can be harmful to my pc.

Anyway, when I click on RUN, it comes up again with the security warning and askes me again if i want to run the file. The hour glass comes up then it says 'AiRoboForm[1].exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience'
  • VelvetGlove
    Thanks for replying :) I'll just wait until BF is off the phone (parents called him & it is his weekly catch up call) & I'll get him to take a look so I know what I'm talking about ;) So useful to have a techy BF as I pimp him out all over the place :o

Hopefully back to you with a suggestion in a few :)
  • Thanks for replying :) I'll just wait until BF is off the phone (parents called him & it is his weekly catch up call) & I'll get him to take a look so I know what I'm talking about ;) So useful to have a techy BF as I pimp him out all over the place :o

Hopefully back to you with a suggestion in a few :)

Ahhhh, thank you sooooo much for all your help! xxxx
  • VelvetGlove
    OK BF is back & on the case :)

He's looked at the site you are downloading from & it is a reputable site, so we can take one worry off the table!

Try this:

Download the file again but this time, select the option to 'Save' - then save it to a location you can easily find, eg your Desktop.

Once it has finished downloading goto the location you saved the file & double click the .exe file. A warning will probably come up that the publisher could not be verified, just select 'Run'. This should now install Roboform.

Something to note: The pc you are using may be what is restricting you from installing the file? BF is saying that a User account with a limited set of privileges would probably be stopped from installing software - if you have successfully installed stuff in the past though this shouldn't be the problem.

Let me know if this sorts it or not? Thanks :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure