Aldi's Prices Creeping Up?

Pont
Pont Posts: 1,459 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
Popped into Aldi's on the way home for work (I've already 'downgraded' from Mr Ts, Morrisons etc). I picked up their 'Special Buys' leaflet on the way out. When I got home had a quick flick through - what happened to cheap?!!

4kg turkey - £35.99!
Cabernet Sauvignon - £6.99 (not even a goodish one)!
Bouquet of Flowers - £15!

Ouch!

Comments

• Towser
    Towser Posts: 1,303 Forumite
    But what about the meat prices are they still reasonable?
    But what about the basic prices are they still reasonable?
  • Everywhere is expensive if you only look at the premium products.
    The turkey is their highest welfare one reared as described here:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/lifestyle/9722094/Word-of-mouth-High-welfare-turkeys-for-a-low-price.html
    There are 3 cheaper alternatives £9.99 (standard frozen), £19.99 (standard fresh) & £27.99 (free range fresh).
    Plenty of alternative wines & the bouquet you mentioned contains roses lily's etc... which always come at premium prices.
  • Edwardia
    Edwardia Posts: 9,170 Forumite
    I'm not surprised that prices are going up. My local Lidl sells chilled bottles of Chablis and the car park is stuffed full of Mercedes and SUVs. In the USA, Aldi sells own-brand organic food.

Everyone is downshifting their grocery shopping and if you are downshifting from Waitrose or Marks and Spencer the probability is that you have more cash than someone downshifting from ASDA or Morrisons.

Stores like Aldi and Lidl have the European contacts to be able to source good Continental deli products and wines for examples and sell them at great prices.

If you can get prosciutto di Parma or Parmigiana reggiano massively cheaper you'll snap it up if that's what you like.

They're just tryimg to expand their market and keep growing.
  • You have probably picked a couple of their most expensive items as examples Pont. I shop there for the basics (before heading over to Sainsbury's for the rest) and lots of the things I buy have been same price for months and months - biscuits, bread, milk, frozen fruit, cheese, ham, yogurt, cleaning products, wine etc. Some things have even come down - prunes previously £1.89 now £1.39, bin liners from 99p to 89p being just a couple of examples. And I still think their meat/poultry/fish prices compare very favourably with the major supermarkets, even if the price of those is "creeping up".
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
  • CKhalvashi
    CKhalvashi Posts: 12,056 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Compared to what I've just paid for 2x 4kg Turkeys (14 people for Christmas day and 8 for Boxing day), I think that's very well priced! If where I've got them didn't deliver on Christmas eve, I'd have probably got them from Aldi!

CK
    💙💛 💔
  • the four bird roast is only £9.99, really looking forward to that on xmas day.
    Food and Smellies Shop target £50 pw - managed average of £49 per week in 2013 down to £38.90 per week in 2016
  • MysteryMe
    MysteryMe Posts: 3,051 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    What is the point of putting up random products and prices with no other information. I've seen plenty of bouquets of flowers for much more than £15, it depends what flowers are in the bouquet.
  • stephen77
    stephen77 Posts: 10,342 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    if the supermarkets prices have gone up. Then aldi can put theres up, just to a little lower than the big super markets do.
    I believe there goal is just to be cheaper.
  • kookai9
    kookai9 Posts: 252 Forumite
    Do Aldi special 6 offers start Sun Or Mon ? Thanksany help
  • chelms38
    chelms38 Posts: 425 Forumite
    the four bird roast is only £9.99, really looking forward to that on xmas day.

Does the four bird roast contain stuffing? And what are the four birds?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure