Hole in double glazed patio door for cat flap.

Comments

• Leothecat
    Leothecat Posts: 1,492
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Sorry, just realised that you are talking about a patio door so my suggestion will prob not work. Do you perhaps have a back door into which it could be more easily fitted?
  • Rex_Mundi
    Rex_Mundi Posts: 6,315
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I haven't seen this thread before. I'm curious as to what the OP did in the end (I see they posted this last month).

£90 seems so cheap to me that it makes me suspicious about how they are going to do the job.

If the glass is tougened, then nobody can put a hole in it. The whole pane would break when you tried. Holes in toughened have to be done before the glass goes through the toughening process.

If the glass is laminated. It is possible to do this, but it would mean......Taking the whole DGU out of the door. Taking it back to the factory/workshop. Splitting the unit (not an easy job). Once the unit is split, cut the hole in each pane of glass (fiddly job). I charge £40 per hole cut in laminated because it is a tricky/fiddly job. Once the holes have been cut, resealing the unit (including the hole). Taking the unit back to the house, and reglazing. £90 for all this is far too cheap (I would want nearer £150 to £180). At any stage of this process, the laminated could break. This would be at the customers own risk (you would have to pay for a new pane).

If I was looking at this job, I would recommend a new toughened DGU. A patio door toughened DGU supplied and fitted with a catflap would come to far more than £90.
    How many surrealists does it take to change a lightbulb?
    Fish
  • I'm really intrigued by Leothecat's suggestion - I have a double glazed back door which I ideally need a cat flap in. I don't mind paying to have it altered but I'm on rented accomodation so may cost me a lot with turning it back.
    I like the idea of removing and storing the glass and replacing it with a panel - do you have any idea who I would contact to do this or at least supply the panel? I'm not particularly DIY clever, but this sounds like the ideal solution for me.

Thank you!
  • Hi

Just wanted to let you know I have done this.

I had a double glazed door and we put in a cat flap. It cost £80 plus £16 for the cat flap. We have kept the glass panel in case we need to replace it should we move.

Thanks
  • williamrobb88
    you say you do about 10 a week and I see you are located in Manchester. I live in Bolton and need a cat flap in my patio door. Do you do any work here or could you recommend anyone?
    Thanks
  • Williamrobb88... many thanks for your clear response to cat flaps! I've heard every excuse in the book (& some) as to why I can't have a cat flap fitted into a patio door! Do you know of anyone in Cornwall who can fit a cat flap as you've instructed please? Any contacts gratefully recieved!
    Thank you!
  • Williamrobb88 -- Interested to hear your experience on resealing double glazed windows after fitting a cat-flap.
    I have two large DG window units around 8 years old now ( outside warranty) that have started to cloud up between the glass panes....i
    As these units have a special "thermal break" spacer with a gold colour and separated with a black insulated strip...not produced any more I understand, but have been very good to prevent condensation inside the rooms around the edges of the window on very cold nights due to the thermal break between the glass....is it possible to get these re-sealed, or do we have to have two new wondow units made...??
  • withabix, and anybody else who says this can't be done, or will wreck your unit, THAT IS RUBBISH!

Let me make a few things clear.
    1. The door will have toughened glass in it (Mandatory). Toughened glass CAN NOT BE CUT IN ANY WAY! Once it is toughened that's it. So you can't just cut a whole in it.

2. The unit will NOT cloud up.

Here's how it's done............

You go to a D-G unit supplier with your Cat flap, and tell him the size and thickness of the panel you want. They will cut the shape of the Cat flap out of 2 BRAND NEW pieces of glass. Then the glass is toughened. Then the unit is assembled in the normal way (Aluminium spacer the way round the inside of the unit), and where the hole for the Cat Flap is, we use a bendy space bar called Super Spacer. We then seal the hole with 2 Part Sealant as opposed to the 1 part sealant all around the edge of the unit. How do I know? Because I make 10 of these EVERY WEEK!

£90 is about right.

I need a cat flap fitting and quickly so if you work in the above area
    please get in touch. Regards piccolopete
  • Hi, WilliamRobb88 could you please mail me your details as well. I live in Adlington, chorley and want a cat flap installing in a double glazed door.
    thanks!
  • puddy
    puddy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    Hi, i have a double glazed door in the kitchen, leadng to the utility room, at some point soon, we hope to be having our kitchen done and i want the door (which currently opens into the kitchen) to open into the utility room for practical purposes, i dont like the obscured pattern on the glass AND i want the obligatory cat flap in it,,, should i just get a new door all together? would that be cheaper do you think,

im in kent otherwise i would use the services above probably
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport