Business advice

Options
Currently I am employed but due to illness off sick, unsure if returning as my days are all over the place on how I am from day to day. One day I could climb the biggest mountain then the next I am in total agony and struggle moving out of bed. ( suffer with fibromyalgia)

What I am looking at doing it turning my hobby into a small home business so I need to know how do I go about registering as self employment? Obviously income is going to be very small until built up more customer base.

Any advice would be great as want to do things that right way. Or if I got a little part time job once strong enough to hold one down would I still need to register as self employment ?

Comments

• NineDeuce
    NineDeuce Posts: 997 Forumite
    Options
    Just sign up for self-assessment on the HMRC website. Job done. It doesnt matter if you then become employed. I have a full time job as an employee and then do self-employment on the side. You just carry on as normal submitting your tax returns on an annual basis.
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,204 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Cbella38 wrote: »
    Currently I am employed but due to illness off sick, unsure if returning as my days are all over the place on how I am from day to day. One day I could climb the biggest mountain then the next I am in total agony and struggle moving out of bed. ( suffer with fibromyalgia)

What I am looking at doing it turning my hobby into a small home business so I need to know how do I go about registering as self employment? Obviously income is going to be very small until built up more customer base.

Any advice would be great as want to do things that right way. Or if I got a little part time job once strong enough to hold one down would I still need to register as self employment ?

Just to be clear- are you going to stay employed but off sick or resign?

If you are going to stay employed then I doubt it any employer is going to allow you to set up as self employed- even if your sickness benefit has run out. Obviously if you are going to resign then you are free to do what you want.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Cbella38
    Cbella38 Posts: 91 Forumite
    Options
    Yes ..I am just looking at ideas first see what better option is. Have pip assessment next week
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure