smart meter in house displays

hi does anybody know what happens if your in house display goes wrong
i had my smart meter fitted by eon then when my contract ended i moved to a smaller supplier who does not do smart meters.after a few months my display went faulty (not even 12m old) asked my supplier who said it was nothing to do with them as they dont fit smart meters. i contacted eon who said as i was not their customer they would not replace it,and to throw it away.
so my dilemma is i have a smart meter that i cant monitor, as my display is now long gone,i cant get a replacement,so the main selling point of being able to monitor ones energy is a non starter and i cant get a replacement and cant find out who is responsible for it???
any help out there

Comments

• molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,816 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 18 October 2017 at 7:57PM
    You were lucky the IHD lasted as long as it did as they often lose most of their functionality on change of supplier anyway. It will likely not get replaced until you get a change of meter. Another of the flawed smart meter programme problems. There never has been a truthful "selling point" of smart meters and far too many have been sucked in by the false promises and deceitful advertising blurb.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,092 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 18 October 2017 at 8:29PM
    dhughes462 wrote: »
    i had my smart meter fitted by eon then when my contract ended i moved to a smaller supplier who does not do smart meters.after a few months my display went faulty (not even 12m old) asked my supplier who said it was nothing to do with them as they dont fit smart meters. i contacted eon who said as i was not their customer they would not replace it,and to throw it away.
    so my dilemma is i have a smart meter that i cant monitor, as my display is now long gone,i cant get a replacement,so the main selling point of being able to monitor ones energy is a non starter and i cant get a replacement and cant find out who is responsible for it???
    any help out there

You are. Suppliers fought long and hard about the decision to provide IHDs. If the IHD goes wrong in the first 12 months then the supplier will normally supply a replacement. After 12 months, they are not obliged to provide one. Try EBay.

Edit: I see Economy Energy are offering free IHD replacements which may cost £35!!!

Hope is on the horizon:

https://www.businessgreen.com/bg/news/2445266/energy-suppliers-to-trial-mobile-apps-in-smart-meter-display-experiment
  • Is it actually broken or just not giving readings?

My BG IHD went blank after 2 weeks because I switched to Bulb.
  • There never has been a truthful "selling point" of smart meters and far too many have been sucked in by the false promises and deceitful advertising blurb

I was never sucked in, I couldn't care less whether my meter was smart or not as long as I was charged correctly for my gas and electricity, which I was.

The IHD saved me going outside to read my meter.

I just don't understand all these smart meter refusenics, after all, all it does is measure how much gas and electricity you use.

And as to it sending back how much you use, how else are you going to be billed?
  • System
    david1946 wrote: »

And as to it sending back how much you use, how else are you going to be billed?

Suppliers have a Licence requirement to read all meters once a year so billing should not really be an issue.
  • Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc
    Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Posts: 6,558 Organisation Representative
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    any help out there

Hello dhughes462 and welcome to the Forums.

To confirm, we won't replace the In Home Display. This is because they're set up with the meters at individual properties. This work needs to be done by a meter technician and, as we're not the supplier, we don't have control of the meter and aren't allowed to arrange for such work.

Sorry I can't help further dhughes462.

Malc
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • Robisere
    Robisere Posts: 3,237 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Yet another reason to avoid Smart Meters! And this amuses me:

" The IHD saved me going outside to read my meter. "

Really? How far away is your meter? I am disabled and take all my gas and electricity readings from both outside meters. Whatever the weather, I do that regularly, post them to EDF on their excellent website, and receive an adjusted or constant DD amount within 24 hours. This last reading resulted in a reduction of my DD payment and was posted by EDF before I signed out.

Until the smart meter situation is working correctly, I will not give permission for one at my property, despite all the reminders from EDF. The whole mess is the result of yet another fiendishly expensive, knee-jerk government initiative, made without realistic research and technical knowledge. If more than one Cabinet Minister understands their own energy meters (at any and all of their 'homes') I would be astonished.
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
  • surely they should not be made so complicated that i need someone to programme it to my meter ?a pin no which comes when the meter is fitted is all that is req,to pair it up,
    so what your telling me is that you cant do anything my supplier cant do anything and i cant do anything ie buy one what a total farce!!!!!!
    but thanks for getting back to me
  • just a quick up date as my tariff is ending thought i`d move to toto smart meter tariff and get a new ihd from them as they do smart meters, i was told by them i cant have that tariff as ive got a smart meter,even though all the functionality does not work and if i wanted them to supply i would have to go on a dearer tariff
    read the info that everybody gives and it basically says if you have a smart meter then all tariffs should be available to you,didnt take the long too get around that one
    come on ofgem get a grip
  • System
    just a quick up date as my tariff is ending thought i`d move to toto smart meter tariff and get a new ihd from them as they do smart meters, i was told by them i cant have that tariff as ive got a smart meter,even though all the functionality does not work and if i wanted them to supply i would have to go on a dearer tariff
    read the info that everybody gives and it basically says if you have a smart meter then all tariffs should be available to you,didnt take the long too get around that one
    come on ofgem get a grip

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5730237
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family