Mortgage with insurance

Options
PPI has never crossed my mind as I have only ever had a mortgage ihowever, in the nineties I had a fixed rate mortgage with Abbey which required taking their house insurance. Is this covered by PPI?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    House insurance covers bricks and mortar.
    PPI is Payment Protection Insurance designed to payout if you are unemployed or sick.

PPI is not a blanket description of any and all kinds of insurance, I'm afraid.

In addition, having PPI is not somehow automatically wrong; but it was widely mis-sold.

It's likely that the house insurance was indeed a condition of the mortgage and so not mis-sold.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,376 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    hich required taking their house insurance. Is this covered by PPI?

Home insurance is home insurance. PPI is PPI. Similar to asking if a banana is an apple as they are both fruit.

Lenders are within their rights to insist on any insurance as a condition of borrowing. Today, they still insist on buildings insurance a minimum. Quite fair and normal.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure