Charities board update
Please note, our Forum rules no longer allow the posting of links to personal fundraising or crowdfunding pages, such as JustGiving. You can read the full set of our Forum rules here.

Tesco food bank collections

Options

Comments

• Torry_Quine
    Torry_Quine Posts: 18,834 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    I think it's a great move by Tesco and if people don't want to contribute that's up to them.
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,496 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    In the Camborne - Redruth - Pool area the Tesco supermarkets are the most supportive and have permanent baskets by the checkouts for donations. The one Morrisons does too.

http://cprfoodbank.co.uk/drop-off-points/
  • iammumtoone
    Options
    Thanks for the heads up I shall be shopping at mr S.

Before anyone starts on me I have nothing against foodbanks and have donated in the past if a trolley is left out for collections. I also donate to other causes. What I object to is last year i walked in with my 6 year only to be approached by someone doing the collection who spoke to my child and said we should by something extra as not everyone could afford food and we were very lucky we could! I was fuming for a start I was unemployed at the time and on a tight budget myself but more than that is is my job to explain in ways a child would understand about the fact that fortunately not everyone can afford food at a time other than when I was stressed and busy about to try to do a weekly shop on limited money myself. Rant over.
  • Avoriaz
    Avoriaz Posts: 39,110 Forumite
    edited 26 November 2014 at 10:56PM
    Options
    woodbine wrote: »
    last time i posted a thread on this subject it got rather heated and totally negative,and i'm not rising to the bait this time,if you don't like the idea/dont support food banks etc etc then move along,rather than advertise the fact that you are a complete and utter
    (fill in the blanks)

i've pointed out what telco are doing,and i now have no further comment to make on the subject....
    Dear God, how much nastier and offensive do you want to be? :mad:

The common factor in the two threads is your insulting and offensive OPs and posts.

Promoting donations to food banks could be considered to be admirable, but doing so in a manner that is horribly insulting and offensive to those who choose not to support this one of many thousands of charitable efforts is self defeating on a grand scale.

I guarantee that there are many tens or hundreds of thousands of MSE members who quietly and without bragging support the charities of their choice without having to post on here about it or insult those who do otherwise.

Maybe you should go away and stay away.

Your are an embarrassment to yourself and to those who genuinely want to help those in real need.

Your posts on here have probably done great harm to this Tesco initiative as far more people have been put off donating than will donate.
  • iammumtoone
    Options
    I think it's a great move by Tesco and if people don't want to contribute that's up to them.

I quite agree but the collection people should be made aware of this fact and not guilt people into it they do not know their personal circumstances and especially not to involve young children in the process.
  • jinty271
    jinty271 Posts: 1,542 Forumite
    Options
    Avoriaz wrote: »
    Promoting donations to food banks could be considered to be admirable, but doing so in a manner that is horribly insulting and offensive to those who choose not to support this one of many thousands of charitable efforts is self defeating on a grand scale
    I quite agree but the collection people should be made aware of this fact and not guilt people into it they do not know their personal circumstances and especially not to involve young children in the process.

This is also a very good point - no one should feel pressured - voluntary donations from people who can spare a couple of pennies is great, but we are all feeling the pinch, whatever our income, and blackmail is never pretty. Neither is rudeness.
    I don't know much, but I know I love you ....<3
  • Vejovis
    Vejovis Posts: 16,858 Forumite
    Options
    woodbine wrote: »
    last time i posted a thread on this subject it got rather heated and totally negative,and i'm not rising to the bait this time,if you don't like the idea/dont support food banks etc etc then move along,rather than advertise the fact that you are a complete and utter
    (fill in the blanks)

i've pointed out what telco are doing,and i now have no further comment to make on the subject....

There you go again, insulting people for no reason. If I were going to donate, I certainly wouldn't now. I'll give my money to people who are grateful and don't try to make others feel like sh!te.
    Birthdays are good for you. Statistics show that the people who have the most live the longest.
    Larry Lorenzoni
  • Avoriaz
    Avoriaz Posts: 39,110 Forumite
    Options
    Precisely.

It isn't up to Woodbine to insult those who choose other charitable options, of which there are countless thousands, or those who choose not to support any charity whatsoever.
  • jinty271
    jinty271 Posts: 1,542 Forumite
    Options
    Vejovis wrote: »
    I'll give my money to people who are grateful and don't try to make others feel like sh!te.

I kinda agree with most of your points on the way this thread is going, but surely you don't give on the basis of the gratitude you receive? :)
    I don't know much, but I know I love you ....<3
  • calicocat
    calicocat Posts: 5,698 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    Anyone know why we have to give to the Tesco food bank?....as opposed to any one a person fancies.

My mother can't stand and won't set foot into Tescos...but gives to food banks through her church...

Does that make her a.............(fill in the blanks)...??:eek:
    Yep...still at it, working out how to retire early.:D....... Going to have to rethink that scenario as have been screwed over by the company. A work in progress.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure