Wonga and ID theft

Options

Comments

• shackalak
    Options
    I have to laugh when I see the references of cases being referred to te fraud team. I too have been a victim of identity theft and am in the middle of a pretty big fraud investigation with my local police. One of the companies involved in my case is Wonga (amongst several others). Tarik (the person referred to in an earlier email link) is Wonga's fraud team.

From what I gather, he is the only person at Wonga that deals with the fraud cases. Poor guy is run off his feet. That said, the police dealing with my cases said he is really efficient and gone out of his way to help.
    I've worked in the Financial Services industry for the last 25 years. When posting on this forum I am not providing any financial advice or representing anyone but simply posting my own personal views. Always make sure you seek suitable Financial Advice from an authorised professional based on your own personal needs and objectives.
  • psybear
    psybear Posts: 241 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Well full marks to Smile (Co-operative Bank). Money is back in my account within 24 hours of me reporting it, can't argue with that. Apparently they are sending me a declaration to complete, as well as a replacement card, and I assumed that they'd want the paperwork back before doing anything the money. Nice to see good customer service.
  • NicciJB
    NicciJB Posts: 19 Forumite
    Options
    Smile is clearly the bank to be with then - excellent to be refunded that quickly :T Barclays are giving me the run around :angry: passing me from pillar to post - giving me different information and their fraud procedures change every time I call :mad:

They keep using the excuse of wonga being a financial service which causes more delays in terms of me getting my money back - apparently. I spoke to Barclays "fraud aftercare" today - a call centre in India and lost the will to live. Wonga have already agreed it was fraudulent activity, have told Barclays so and have told Barclays to do a "charge back" to my account. Goodness knows why they are faffing about now. Just get on with it.

We're into the ninth working day. Kill me now! :wall:
  • blacksta
    blacksta Posts: 919 Forumite
    Options
    NicciJB wrote: »
    Smile is clearly the bank to be with then - excellent to be refunded that quickly :T Barclays are giving me the run around :angry: passing me from pillar to post - giving me different information and their fraud procedures change every time I call :mad:

They keep using the excuse of wonga being a financial service which causes more delays in terms of me getting my money back - apparently. I spoke to Barclays "fraud aftercare" today - a call centre in India and lost the will to live. Wonga have already agreed it was fraudulent activity, have told Barclays so and have told Barclays to do a "charge back" to my account. Goodness knows why they are faffing about now. Just get on with it.

We're into the ninth working day. Kill me now! :wall:

I would occupy any barclays bank - hope you get your money soon.
    I owe £3233 @ 0%
  • catherine12345_2
    Options
    Hi Kimou

Thought you might find this thread interesting - I was one of the 9000 people eventually found to have had their identity stolen and loans taken out with MCO Capital

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2704995&highlight=

It was different for me as no money was taken from my account so I couldn't get a crime number. If I were you I would (if you haven't already) get a crime number - just walk into your local police station and ask to speak to someone and call Action Fraud. Action Fraud were excellent and gave me loads of advice.

Finally, I understand how distressing this is so try to look after yourself a little. It's a nightmare!
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    loanmoan wrote: »
    I knew they were scum.

Why do you say that ?
  • Kimou
    Kimou Posts: 14 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you so much for all your responses and help.
    I'm still waiting, but I will read through the thread in due course and eventually get to thank you respectively.

Currently nursing extreme dental pains so I can't think properly. :(

I will keep everyone posted as to how I get on.

Thanks again :)
  • Buttercup2305
    Options
    Hi I woke up this morning to find Wonga have taken four separate payments amounting to nearly £1000, I spoke to Halifax who refunded the money while I was on the phone to them.
    I have been baffled as to how people have got my details. I hope everyone gets theirs sorted.
  • metalgal
    metalgal Posts: 320 Forumite
    Options
    I recently had an incident with wonga. My husband had a loan and was short £7 so i paid it with my debit card then deleted my info off his account. A few months later on another loan he didnt have enough money so they cleared the remainder using my card. I emailed them saying that i had deleted my card info and they were to no longer use my card on my husbands account. We temporarily separated and he toook out another loan and they again used my card to pay it off. I contacted wonga we were very unhelpful saying that my husband must have stolen my bank details needless to say i went mental and saying even if he had done that i had emailed them previously saying my card was never to be used again by them. I phoned my bank and emailed them my previous email and they did a chargeback and the money was back in my account later that day and they waived overdraft charges as the wonga payments brought me £200 overdrawn. I was very happy with my bank and they also cancelled the card so it could not happen again.
  • NicciJB
    NicciJB Posts: 19 Forumite
    Options
    Hello Kimou

Sorry to hear you still haven't had your money back yet. I went in to the branch and complained yesterday as I was fed up of being given the run around by 1) "fraud department" (call centre in India), 2) "debit card services" (very unhelpful and am told something different every time I call) and 3) "chargeback department" who are apparently inundated and overwhelmed with work and that is the cause for delay in refunding me the monies. Why one team cannot deal with the issue from beginning to end ensuring timely resolve for the customer I don't know. Clearly a failing with Barclays who may need to take a closer look at their processes. A colleague at work is with Nationwide and also had a fraudulent wonga payment taken from her account within the last week. She got on the phone to customer services as soon as she spotted it and was refunded the monies the SAME DAY!

I will be writing a letter of complaint shortly about the poor service received.

Hope your dental pain is better soon. Like you I have been ill recently and so unable to chase up until yesterday when I went into branch.

Nicci
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport