Walk 1000 miles

Comments

• bugslet
    bugslet Posts: 6,874 Forumite
    Good luck with that. A friend of mine did the Great North the other weekend and had a great time ( 2hours 24, which I think was respectable).

I've just worked out that I average about 45 miles a week on walking, never running though:eek:
  • indesisiv
    indesisiv Posts: 6,359 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    bugslet wrote: »
    Good luck with that. A friend of mine did the Great North the other weekend and had a great time ( 2hours 24, which I think was respectable).

I've just worked out that I average about 45 miles a week on walking, never running though:eek:

Great North run is a half marathon, I've done one of those in 1hr 33mins. That was back in June and was the furthest I had ever run, the last mile took a long time as I had injured myself on the way up the hill. Only just this month got back to not hurting when running so not too keen on doing another one anytime soon. I think more than 6 months of running would be better before attempting to run it fast.

45 miles is a long time walking :eek: Its an impressive distance!
    “Time is intended to be spent, not saved” - Alfred Wainwright
  • bugslet
    bugslet Posts: 6,874 Forumite
    indesisiv wrote: »
    Great North run is a half marathon, I've done one of those in 1hr 33mins. That was back in June and was the furthest I had ever run, the last mile took a long time as I had injured myself on the way up the hill. Only just this month got back to not hurting when running so not too keen on doing another one anytime soon. I think more than 6 months of running would be better before attempting to run it fast.

45 miles is a long time walking :eek: Its an impressive distance!

My friend is in her mid - late 50s and until a couple of years ago had never run at all, she was happy with anything under 3 hours. 1 hour 33 is elite runner status as far as I'm concerned:T

It's having dogs, they like their walks, so it's not optional;)
  • Ilona
    Ilona Posts: 2,449 Forumite
    Checking in. I did a Ranger Ramble on Sunday, haven't done a group walk for a long time, much prefer to walk alone. It was 12 miles, so another boost to my total which now stands at 784. I have passed the target for September, the next one is 832 at the end of October. Aiming to have three days away in Derbyshire next week.
    Ilona
    I love skip diving.
    :D
  • Wizard_of_Id
    Wizard_of_Id Posts: 5,512 Forumite
    Good week last week with over 36 miles done and a good start to this week with a 12 mile walk round Loch Leven today :)
  • Wizard_of_Id
    Wizard_of_Id Posts: 5,512 Forumite
    I think I will need to adjust my weekly target upwards, I am definitely hooked now and I am managing the 25 mile target easily every week without even trying now.

That being said, starting this week, I will increase my target figure to 30 miles/week and see how I get on for the rest of this month :)
  • Ilona
    I think I will need to adjust my weekly target upwards, I am definitely hooked now and I am managing the 25 mile target easily every week without even trying now.

That being said, starting this week, I will increase my target figure to 30 miles/week and see how I get on for the rest of this month :)

Good for you Wiz, I know what you mean about getting hooked. I feel as if I am cheating and letting myself down if I miss a day. I enter my numbers daily on a calendar and don't like to add a x where I have missed. It's a bit like saving, watching the numbers grow, or similar to watching numbers go down when trying to lose weight, Which I aren't, ha ha.

Keeping fit, saving money, and keeping the weight off is a long term thing. I may well carry it on for another year because I feel a whole lot better for all the walking.

Ilona
    I love skip diving.
  • Ilona
    Checking in. I did 28 miles last week, didn't go to Derbyshire but chose the Youth Hostel at Mankinholes instead. At £7 a night and self catering, it was a very frugal holiday.

Total now stands at 824 miles. Not long and not far to go now :j

Ilona
    I love skip diving.
  • indesisiv
    indesisiv Posts: 6,359 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Ilona wrote: »
    Checking in. I did 28 miles last week, didn't go to Derbyshire but chose the Youth Hostel at Mankinholes instead. At £7 a night and self catering, it was a very frugal holiday.

Total now stands at 824 miles. Not long and not far to go now :j

Ilona

Youth hostels are great. I have just booked 2 nights in the peak district for next June for £32 (this includes breakfast for both mornings)

Good going with the walking.
    I've got a three walk around the lake district starting this weekend :)
    “Time is intended to be spent, not saved” - Alfred Wainwright
  • Ilona
    indesisiv wrote: »
    Youth hostels are great. I have just booked 2 nights in the peak district for next June for £32 (this includes breakfast for both mornings)

Good going with the walking.
    I've got a three walk around the lake district starting this weekend :)

Which hostel is it, I have been to most of them. Please say it is Hartington Hall. Their breakfasts are fantastic, fills you up a treat for the day. I should go to the Lakes more often, but it's a long way to drive there. Have a good time. Have you been up Helvelyn via Striding Edge? That's hairy, ha ha. Keep on plodding along eh!
    Ilona
    I love skip diving.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills