sick leave /handing in notice due ill health

hi there wondering if anyone can help me with this
my husband was been off work for quite a while now due to ill health :(and is on half pay sick leave doctor thinking he wont be able to return to work for while yet so hes going to hand his notice in thing is he has to give 4 wks notice and is wondeing when he hands it in will he still get half pay sick leave for them 4 wks notice or will it stop the day he hands notice in as we not sure
thanks

Comments

• If he resigns, they have to give him the statutory minimum notice period but whether this is the half sick pay that he has been receiving or not, I'm not sure.

Try www.direct.gov.uk there is usually plenty of employment advice on there.
    You do have rights......but you still need common sense.
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,816
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    If he resigns, he may be sanctioned if he is going to claim benefit.
    why doesnt he just hang on till he can return to wor or wait and let his employer dismiss him when and if.
    Its probably best in the long run.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • mazza111
    mazza111 Posts: 6,327 Forumite
    yep totally agree, hang on in there if you can. It may be that the company has some sort of pay off for people who are long term sick, a lot do. Is it just his job he wouldn't be able to do? Or would he be able to do some other sort of work with his condition?
    4 Stones and 0 pounds or 25.4kg lighter :j
  • Pinnacle_2
    Pinnacle_2 Posts: 12 Forumite
    If he resigns he maybe sanctioned from benefits and have problems with PPI or other insurance policies, etc, as it would be a voluntary decision. He should not resign but wait until his employer takes action. If he does resign however he must state the reason as ill-health to keep the options at least partly open. Any pay due in the notice period would be as per contract, so if on half pay then it would be half pay unless it expires during the notice period.
    My replies to posts are based on my experience and are offered only as helpful comments, and not in any professional capacity, nor as definitive advice or guidance that should be acted upon. Appropriate professional guidance should be sought where necessary.
  • amberspy
    amberspy Posts: 127
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Pinnacle wrote: »
    If he resigns he maybe sanctioned from benefits and have problems with PPI or other insurance policies, etc, as it would be a voluntary decision. He should not resign but wait until his employer takes action. If he does resign however he must state the reason as ill-health to keep the options at least partly open. Any pay due in the notice period would be as per contract, so if on half pay then it would be half pay unless it expires during the notice period.
    hi thanks he wouldnt be claiming benfeits as im working part time and mite go full time if work allows me to but aware our work tax would go up for short time if he not working and until i start full time ??????????
    cheers
  • Pinnacle_2
    Pinnacle_2 Posts: 12 Forumite
    amberspy wrote: »
    hi thanks he wouldnt be claiming benfeits as im working part time and mite go full time if work allows me to but aware our work tax would go up for short time if he not working and until i start full time ??????????
    cheers
    Depends on which of you is/was eligible for WTC and for what reason. It could stop altogether. Hope you have notified HMRC already as the household income has already dropped and so should have been reassessed. Depending on the household income and composition (children, etc), do not write off any benefits that you could be eligible for.
    My replies to posts are based on my experience and are offered only as helpful comments, and not in any professional capacity, nor as definitive advice or guidance that should be acted upon. Appropriate professional guidance should be sought where necessary.
  • amberspy
    Forumite
    Pinnacle wrote: »
    Depends on which of you is/was eligible for WTC and for what reason. It could stop altogether. Hope you have notified HMRC already as the household income has already dropped and so should have been reassessed. Depending on the household income and composition (children, etc), do not write off any benefits that you could be eligible for.
    hi again i get dla so i got disabiltly element in wtc hubby as informed wtc when he was on half pay and was sorted and got but more payout if he did resign our income when go down and i would be about to get wtc as only earn 7000 a year
    thanks
    forgot say we have 3 children
  • Uncertain
    Uncertain Posts: 3,901 Forumite
    Do take careful advice on this before he considers resigning.

In almost all circumstances it is best not to resign on health grounds. Sit tight and let the firm make all the moves.

Remember also that he continues to accrue paid holiday even when on unpaid sick leave. So the firm has to pay him in full for at least 5.6 weeks per year while he remains on the staff.
  • amberspy
    Forumite
    Uncertain wrote: »
    Do take careful advice on this before he considers resigning.

In almost all circumstances it is best not to resign on health grounds. Sit tight and let the firm make all the moves.

Remember also that he continues to accrue paid holiday even when on unpaid sick leave. So the firm has to pay him in full for at least 5.6 weeks per year while he remains on the staff.
    thanks
    have been been geting a few advice on him not to resign can u give me the pros and cons on resigning due to ill health
    thanks
  • jdturk
    jdturk Posts: 1,636 Forumite
    amberspy wrote: »
    thanks
    have been been geting a few advice on him not to resign can u give me the pros and cons on resigning due to ill health
    thanks

Morally if you are not going to work for the company again then you are right to resign and not be a burden on the company....however as I am sure Uncertain will say that Morals do not pay the bills and if it is part of the contract then you are entitled to it (is he entitled to half pay forever or for only a certain period of time?)
    Always ask ACAS
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport