Taking the plunge

Options

Comments

• Jelllibeanz
    Options
    I'm on a roll and am enjoying the momentum whilst it lasts :) I've sent of the photo with a reference number in a bid to obtain a replacement F1tb1t where the rubber casing has been peeling. Will hopefully get a replacement soon. Transferred the CC balance to a 0% deal to make things easier and changed my mobile contract to a sim only tariff.

I've also given BG my meter readings and have arranged for them to come round at the weekend and fit smart meters. I have a feeling the kids will not like it as much if I start to see the electricity usage climbing, but it should be interesting to see what we are using on a half hourly basis.

Managed to meet up with my bestie for breakfast this morning and my Dobbies cards paid for the tea. So that in itself was a £3.80 saving and it was good to have a catch up. Now to squeeze a half hour or so for me to rest before I go for a run.
    Onwards and upwards with the occasional kick up the butt required! ;)
    Mortgage '09 = £103k Feb '17 =£79.9k, Aug 17 = £69k Mar 19 = £61k
    Aiming for 10% OP in 2019 - £1320.95/£6100 £3420/£3520 credit card at 0%
  • Jelllibeanz
    Options
    We have a smart meter!!! I am impressed (ok, I know it doesn't necessarily take much to impress me sometimes), but the kids keep watching how much we are spending and Mr J was pleasantly surprised. It did mean an hour or so without power, which my 3 DSs were not over the moon about.

I also managed to get in touch with the mortgage co and find out my latest balance... £78,844 with a daily interest of £9.68!!! Explaining that to Mr J has made him look at the mortgage in a more positive light. I am waiting on some inheritance £ to come through and once we have a better idea of where we stand and how much it is I will look at remortgaging for a lower rate. In the meantime I want to chip away at it as much as possible.

We've spent the afternoon sorting the garden. Felt good to get stuck into it and get the blood flowing. Admittedly it did cost me an energy drink and bar of chocolate for Mr J - I can't stand the stuff and loathe buying it for him, but he did help loads as did DS3. The little ones are now upset as we have told them their trampoline is going to have to go to trampoline heaven. They have outgrown it and the springs are very rusty. So there have been a few tears and an agreement that we will visit the trampoline park every so often - far from MSE, but it is appeasing them at the mo.

In the meantime Mr J is dreaming about kitting out the loft with a flight simulator...... the kids and I are laughing. Wonder if a virtual reality headset would be better hmmmm.... he doesn't thing so.
  • Jelllibeanz
    Options
    The smart meter is having a positive effect on the kids. They even switched the living room light off before coming in for dinner! Plus we all keep looking at it. Unfortunately someone popped the hot water on all day so that didn't quite help yesterday's balance and until the kids go back to school we won't see what an average weekday looks like. Still no more worrying about estimated bills.

Roll on payday at the end of the week. I can't wait to shuffle money around and make some more payments. I think I'm becoming slightly obsessed about becoming MF
  • Jelllibeanz
    Options
    It's payday!!! I can't wait to go home and start playing with the figures. Is going to be a long month though. So will have to be careful hmmmm..... roll on home time.
  • Jelllibeanz
    Options
    Well the weekend came and went so quickly. It was lovely though. A few successes along the way MrJ bought me a pre loved mobile phone as he was fed up of me not getting messages on my old brick. My contract was up for renewal and I simply couldn't see the point of getting a brand new one and paying over the top. So I now have a SIM only deal with T@sco and have increased my data allowance. Then to cap it off I downloaded a mobile extras app that takes £3 off my bill every month. So I have dropped from £11pcm to £4pcm!!! One very happy jellybean :)

Also managed to save an excessive amount of money on luxury headphones for MrJ. I want him to be able to have nice things and he works very hard so deserves to at least have something to make the commute more bearable. He picked up a pair that were one tenth of the price of the pair he first looked at. Will find out tonight how effective they are. Fingers crossed he has a good day and positive experience.

We managed to avoid a couple of costly events including an evening at the dogs and an afternoon at the movies, by having a snuggle on the sofa with a horror flick. The kids loved it and had been really good over half term. We've paid off our summer holiday and bought the kids a few bits for it too. Got a great deal on some adult swimming goggles in T@scos that were only £2 each, as well as some books for them from the charity shop and beach balls from the £ shop. It feels a little more real now it's paid for. Just excursions and parking left to do.

I also managed to get two new front tyres for the car as the others were bald. We don't seem to have been very MSE this weekend. So today is officially a NSD and I have brought my homemade soup into work with me.
  • Jelllibeanz
    Jelllibeanz Posts: 191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Well that has been 2 NSD in a row, but today I fell off the wagon and bought some lunch at work. It's over the hump day and I was feeling sluggish. Having said that the rest of the office were immensely jealous of my cheap pizza from the canteen and then I felt kinda guilty for stinking the place out.
    Back on the wagon again tomorrow though as I've already packed some nuts and fruit into my bag.

On the upside the snorkelling sets I got the kids at the weekend from the £shop went down an absolute storm with the boys. They almost ended up flooding the floor with the amount of water they'd blown out. But they haven't run up for a bath so quickly in ages. £2 well spent in my book.

And on another positive one Mr J was very happy with the new headphones. A new job for him is in the pipeline so I'm keeping my fingers crossed he will be happy with the move.
  • Jelllibeanz
    Options
    Well this weekend has had some positives so far with the odd curve ball thrown in too.

DD who has been living with her boyfriend has declared she is leaving him and moving to her own place. It's a bit daunting, even though she's lived away for the past 18 months, but I am pleased she is ending it. This does mean that I will have to raid what is left of the emergency fund to help her with the deposit, but she has found a flat-share with a colleague and she will be spreading her wings a little further.

So as one ends a relationship the other one starts and we have been introduced to DS1's new GF, who seems incredibly lovely. He is on his best behaviour and terrified I will embarrass him. I've yet to threaten the baby pics, but it is so good to see him happy. She is even staying for dinner today.

Mr J loved his headphones. He did originally buy two pairs, one for me and the other for him, even though I insisted I was happy with my old ones. His set didn't work, so he took mine and was made up. Thankfully I tucked the receipt and paraphenalia back in the box and today he got his money back! He wouldn't normally do this and would insist on a replacement. So I consider that a win :)

And all the little money saving things are having an impact. We go into town usually on Sundays so the boys can paint and build their Worhommer. Today we parked on a side street saving £1.50 in parking fees. As we talked about it on the way back to the car DS2 said that means we've saved one day's gas and electric! He is turning into a shrewd little MSE. The impact of the SMART meter has been positive too as they are continuing to turn things off at the mains rather than putting them on standby. Every little adds up as they say.

Sadly Mr J was not a happy bunny yesterday as one of the new tyres that I got last weekend had a puncture on Thursday and when he argued the toss and tried to get it repaired or replaced by the garage it turns out it had a hole in the side wall. He was far from impressed on having to spend on another new tyre.

However, he is very excited that he has been offered the new job and we have paid off our holiday. So today we got a couple of tshirts and swim shorts for the little pumpkins in Primarni. They haven't a clue so we are building up a secret stash of clothes and bits to take with us and we are not going to tell them until we are at the airport. Feels a bit surreal but it's giving me something to really look forward to. Just need to look at what will keep them busy on a 6 hour flight hmmmm.....
  • Jelllibeanz
    Options
    Well the weekend is almost here again and I have ended up buying lunch at work twice this week. Not good for my figure or my wallet. A couple of Tilly Tidies scooped a pound or so over the the mortgage.

I'm managing to keep a very close eye on what is left for the end of the month, but my mechanic is picking up the car this evening and fixing the track rod, rubber hose on the exhaust and adjusting my handbrake for me. Am keeping everything crossed that it will not cost too much. I won't know until he looks at it.

It does mean I will be stuck at home for the first part of Saturday as I'll be without wheels, which should mean the house gets a good cleaning whilst DS2 is at Saturday school. The upside is also that it will keep us away from shopping! Then Sunday I may go on the charity fun run with my colleagues and the dog. I missed it last year and would like to take part, but I can't get there without the car. Hate being in limbo, but it will make me appreciate the wheels once I get them back.
  • Jelllibeanz
    Options
    Well in typical Jelllibeanz fashion I got my dates mixed up and as it turned out my mechanic friend is picking up the car tomorrow instead. This meant that we drank way too much wine on Friday evening, which turned into a fun family music quiz night (I am useless with names of artists and songs so lost big time) and I didn't do the charity fun run on Sunday as I didn't want to take the car unnecessarily far, but I did put a few quid in a kitty the following day.

Have had a cold for the majority of the week, but the sun has been out shining and it's perked me up a bit. May even dare myself to go for a run in a short while. Will be the first in a few weeks and much needed.

The current account is looking a little tight at moment so am looking forward to payday so I can make a dent in things. Have done the Tilly Tidying a few times this week, which has helped me stay in control of what is there and monitor my spending.

On the upside my DD has successfully moved into a flat share and is sounding very happy. So I'm really relieved. Am looking forward to seeing her at some point over the next few weeks and giving some bits to help her out. And Easter is not too far away which will mean some time away from work and an opportunity to have fun with the family. Have been in a really positive mood so am enjoying it whilst it lasts :)
  • Jelllibeanz
    Options
    Well somethings have gone really well over the past few days. My mechanic friend sorted the car and explained that the play in the track rod was minimal and wasn't something to worry about and the exhaust was still under warranty so was sorted for free!!!!

My darling OH offered to have the kids for me and so a friend and I went shopping. I was planning on window shopping, but knew he would be made up if I bought myself something nice as he is always telling me I don't spend enough money looking after myself. We had a mooch about and looked at dresses. I have a wedding and a hen do in the summer so it was good to get some ideas. I couldn't however justify spending £60 on one when I have been doing my best to watch the pennies. So I came home with some pastries and a half price hand cream from B0di Sh0p that works wonders on my eczema.

On the Sunday we took DS2+3 to their regular club for a couple of hours we agreed to have a look in the local outlet place whilst we were waiting. Anyhow he loved the shop where I had seen some dresses that I thought were nice etc, but had avoided buying. He then finds a sale rail at the back of the store for faulty items. He picked out 2 gorgeous dresses that were reduced from £60 to £15 each due to a stitch being loose and the tiniest mark. I was thrilled :) very MSE

We have also managed to knock £15pcm off the boiler insurance after BG started trying to sell me their cover as a loyal customer etc....., but hold on I already am on that so why aren't you rewarding my custom already? Ten minutes later I am off the phone smiling. Seems that is pays to kick up a fuss every now and then.

V1rg1n were much more challenging and it took 3 phone calls for us to get a decent deal on the broadband. However, after much complaining it has now been done.

Only thing I have left to sort is DS1's mobile bill, which he can now start to take care of. I must make an effort to tackle that one again this evening.

Finally last week's m balance was at £78219 with a daily rate of £9.59 So it is coming down. Now looking forward to payday again and a Tilly tidy up in the meantime.

Wow that was long! Sorry x
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport