Only freedom will do

Comments

• edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,458 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Hello all, another post about wine :o

I am in the midst of a massive stooze (nearly finished, although still building up the 'slow' stooze part of the pot).

I saw a rather cracking offer on HUKD that basically offered £6.25 worth of Mr M points for buying £50 John L3wis vouchers that are accepted by Waitr0se. As regular visitors might know, I've fallen in love with the fact that I can buy fancy pants wine for deep discounts there.

Today's purchase was 13 bottles of Pinot Gris (originally £129.87) for £66.37/£5.11/bottle. 20% off wine, £25 off £100 spend, 12.5% return in Morrison'5 points buying vouchers instore and free delivery. I makes them work for the money :beer:
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I love it when you can stack deals together :j:j:j

Good for you!
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • edinburgher
    Being of a mind to make hay while the offer sun shines, I have picked up another £250 of vouchers today :D Should do us for a year or so. That said, wine doesn't last as long as it used to as I've got into the habit of gifting bottles when we're caught on the hop without a present, as a good bottle is always well received.

Also picked up a Dutch hoe for the garden and some baking potatoes to throw on the BBQ this afternoon :j
  • Karmacat
    My life just isn't that active :rotfl: though I did actually buy a bottle of wine today, as our board games evenings might finally get going again.
  • edinburgher
    The Dutch hoe makes it so much easier to weed beds! :j

Celebrated Father's Day with an overly large burger and I have a couple of mini cannolis for after our park walk this afternoon.

Managed to pick up another £100 of JL vouchers and a £50 M&S voucher for work clothes, that was a great offer while it lasted, now have 8-9 £5 off Mr M's vouchers in my wallet, that's like a month of fish and meat.
  • That is a very good wine deal. Our local supermarket was recently offering 25% off 6 or more bottles, but they also had a 25% off for a case deal. We got two cases and the cashier worked out the discount and took it off the price.... Then the till calculated another 25% off as we had twelve bottles. We couldn't get out of there quickly enough and were sorely tempted to grab more but didn't want to get rumbled.:beer:
    Paid off mortgage nine years early in 2013. Now picking and choosing our work to fit in with the rest of our lives!
    Still thrifty though, after all these years:D
  • edinburgher
    I miss 25% off 6 - stupid Scotland!

Excellent real there squirrel, I think you made the right decision.
  • edinburgher
    Have started making OPs, be they ever so humble. NW update tomorrow :j
  • edinburgher
    May 2017 Financial Update

Net Worth £162,118.72 (+£590.61)

The HPI gods giveth and they taketh away - what is the sound of a line going sideways? :rotfl:

This month was a tale of 2 asset classes. Equities (pensions and ISA) performed magnificently thanks to healthy contributions; tax benefits and some growth. They ended up the month roughly +£2,500, which was actually a few pounds more than we were paid due to all the deductions from our salaries :beer: Next month should also be good, as increased pension contribtions (30%) have kicked in :dance:

On the other hand, HPI has taken back £2,500 of the £3,000 it gave us in May :( A silly thing to be aware of, but not worried as 2 sales on our street completed in less than a week during the month.

The small uptick in NW is largely down to a teensy bit of home equity and a miniscule bump from income received at the end of the first month of the stoozing experiment (May). £100+ of the June income is due to pay out at the end of this week, so the figures are a little on the pessimistic side.

The P2P/equity/bond/cash stooze pot now requires next to no maintenance (1 DD to update, 1 weekly spreadsheet update). It now spins off £205.36/month after tax, but this is actually nearer to £235/month as the tax will likely be taken in the form of an adjusted tax code once reported to HMRC.

I hope to be wrong, but am starting to get the impression that Brexit is going to be highly negative for the financial prospects of most people in the UK. To that end, I think it might be an idea to end the stooze a little earlier than the 2 years planned initially; I've started making very small OPs and will continue saving my new pound coins as I get them :o We're also another step closer to off grid paradise after setting a whirlygig in the back garden (we get through something like 6-7 loads of laundry a week and the tumble dryer is squandering my solar power)!

Other than that? Not a whole lot going on, we're meal planning better than we have been in a while and have made a few budgeting tweaks that have increased spend in certain areas, but are far more representative of what we were actually spending over the course of a year :T

I hope that everybody else has had a productive month?
  • Karmacat
    Sounds good, Ed. I'm going to be using the merging of Friends Life and Aviva as the get-up-and-go to tweak my pensions, I get the impression that everything's going to come crashing down like a house of cards, the way debt keeps building up :(

Innate pessimist, moi? How can you say such a thing :rotfl:
    Save
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills