Home Insurance Comparison sites -check the details!

londonmania
londonmania Posts: 15 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 19 April 2014 at 3:15PM in Insurance & life assurance
Having looked at home insuarnce via Go Compare and Confused.com, I selected Bradford & Bingley (L&G underwriters) Home Insuarnce. It came up tops on both sites. I read the policy deatils that were on the Bradford & Bingley site pre purchase and decided it was good for me, so bought it. When the policy documents arrived, I did read the details and whilst majority of the information was as supplied by me, some details about the property (home security being the big one) were not exact.

I called B&B the next day to clarify these few points only to discover that the lock specified by me ( a 5 level mortice deadlock with kite mark lock) using the drop down list on the comparison sites, isn't supported by B&B's underwriters, therefore the policy is invalid.

I had to cancel the policy and for that I was going to be charged a cancellation fee for no fault of mine, other than having the sense to read the small print! This is all within the 14 days cooling off period.

In the end, after a few phone calls, I got a full refund back but I thought it would be useful to share this experience with others on here who may be paying these companies for cancellation fees or invalid policies, due to no fault of their own.
Bewarned of comparison sites..please read the small print soon as posisble or call up and check with the insurance company that all details are correct, before paying for that policy.

Comments

• keith1950
    keith1950 Posts: 2,597 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    This is something that has been happening for years, that's why I find the cheapest quotes using the comparison sites and they go to the insurers website to purchase.

Insurers ask slightly different questions or have different criteria for the same questions so all a comparison site can do is generalise to a certain extent which inevitably leads to errors.
  • Buellguy
    Buellguy Posts: 629 Forumite
    keith1950 wrote: »
    This is something that has been happening for years, that's why I find the cheapest quotes using the comparison sites and they go to the insurers website to purchase.

Insurers ask slightly different questions or have different criteria for the same questions so all a comparison site can do is generalise to a certain extent which inevitably leads to errors.

Likewise, just changed the bike, went on the comparison website to get a rough idea of cost, then called current insurer to change bike over, only cost me the admin fee in the end
  • Newbold
    Newbold Posts: 89 Forumite
    Having looked at home insuarnce via Go Compare and Confused.com, I selected Bradford & Bingley (L&G underwriters) Home Insuarnce. It came up tops on both sites. I read the policy deatils that were on the Bradford & Bingley site pre purchase and decided it was good for me, so bought it. When the policy documents arrived, I did read the details and whilst majority of the information was as supplied by me, some details about the property (home security being the big one) were not exact.
    Your point's well made. Should serve as a warning - cheap insurance that won't pay out because the T&C haven't been met is a waste of time and money.
    Normally, though, you have to go through some screens from the providing company (rather than the comparison site) just before the final purchase.

Are you sure that didn't happen here?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport