Real-life MMD: Should I secretly switch my husband's Shreddies to save cash?

Options

Comments

• bumblebee_tuna
    Options
    I'd just keep doing it, there are loads of brand snobs out there that refuse to even try anything else!

My OH was exactly the same, refused to budge on sooo many items. Until I just point blank told him that I'm buying cheaper ones, and he can like it or lump it. Surprisingly, even he admits now that a brand name doesnt necessarily mean better quality...
  • alggomas
    alggomas Posts: 151 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Why? For such a petty sum. Why not, not go out for a meal or something more substantial. He may get VERY angry with you and not save on anything.
    Do not tell him and give him his usual shreddies.
  • Brian_Steele
    Options
    Has to be time for a blind tasting. Maybe try a few more budget brands too so that maybe they're all the same, or the one brand is the same as/better than the Nestle version.

Personally I refuse to eat Nestle products anyway!
  • scoobydoobydoo
    Options
    Just buy the cheap ones and if he refuses to eat them then he goes hungry, and you dont have to buy them at all, double saving!

I cannot STAND childish behaviour like this over food from grown adults.
  • The_Loan_Stranger
    Options
    I say keep swapping them, although reading this thread makes me chuckle as i can't help thinking about Dave Gorman swapping the red power balls on his wifes finish dishwasher tablets for red smarties, in an attempt to prove that there was no difference in the cleaning qualities of the cheaper tablets and hence save some money.
  • gaily
    gaily Posts: 190 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 19 March 2014 at 5:16PM
    Options
    I have 7 year old who tastes with his eyes. I frequently dump out the own brand Coco pops into his Coco pops box. I won't pay Kelloggs prices for them, and he'd have a cow if he though he wasn't getting the real deal - even though he enjoys them while eating.

A grown man on the other hand should be able to deal with the 'pain' of eating non branded cereal - especially if you're trying to economise, and he's already 'liked them'.

However, I like Asda shreddies, but not the Tesco's ones (knowing exactly which brand I'm eating) so there are differences out there.

......Oh, and by the way, how do Lidl and Aldi end up the 'best rated' supermarkets if own brand stuff is rubbish. Some of it's actually realy quite nice!
    Always on the hunt for a bargain. :rolleyes:

Always grateful for any hints, tips or guidance as to where the best deals are:smileyhea
  • Alantheaged
    Options
    I will never forget my grandma only having sprouts one day as a veg but my grandfather would never eat them as he hated them. Anyway, stuck with what to do she mashed them up and put them on his plate with the rest of his meal. The result????
    "Best cabbage, I've ever tasted" So a little subterfuge doesn't always hurt. I don't think anybody ever told him and I think he continued to enjoy his "best cabbage" ever after!
  • Cloudane
    Cloudane Posts: 524 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    gaily wrote: »
    he'd have a cow if he though he wasn't getting the real deal

Well at least that'd save you money on milk :)
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Just buy the cheap ones and if he refuses to eat them then he goes hungry, and you dont have to buy them at all, double saving!

I cannot STAND childish behaviour like this over food from grown adults.

But he's not a child - he's an adult! Why shouldn't he eat something if that's what he wants. The difference in price between the two brands could easily be saved somewhere else.
  • kadison
    kadison Posts: 3,662 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    pwharley wrote: »
    Why not try it the other way around?

Put Shreddies inside an own-brand box and implore him to try them "Just once, dear?".

If he still says he doesn't like them, you can expose them as the "real thing" and see his reaction!!

If he says "They're OK", you've won! Buy the own-brand thereafter.

(PS I like Shreddies, but I find the own-brands perfectly acceptable. If Shreddies are on offer, I buy them; otherwise I buy the store brand.)

Love this idea!

Not sure why people are going on about lying, it's a fib at most! We're talking about swapping breakfast cereals not having an affair!
    No Buying Unnecessary Toiletries 2023
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend
    Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read - Groucho Marx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills