Average teacher pension £10k....

I hear this quoted now on most news broadcasts...can someone explain this figure?

How long do you work before retiring?
What is the average salary at retirement?
Is there a lump sum?
Is it a final salary scheme?

just curious as to how they arrive at this figure, perhaps an explanation might get more people on their side.
No two ways about this one: Anything Free is not a Basic Right..it had to be earned...by someone, somewhere

Comments

• trumpton
    trumpton Posts: 1,070 Forumite
    At a guess, lots of teachers are part-time, many (most?) are women so may have taken several years out to look after their children. It is a final salary scheme and they do get a lump sum, I believe. The bigger the lump sum, the smaller the annual pension I imagine - so it may reflect that many take as much as they can as a lump sum.

£10k per year isn't a lot for a lifetime in the same job, so as you say a bit more explanation is needed.
  • pleasedelete
    pleasedelete Posts: 2,286
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Most teachers earn less than 35k. The average for a full time teacher was something like 26k last year.

You need 40 years for a full-50 per cent salary pension. The youngest you can be when you start is 22 which makes you 62. Most women historically retire at 60 (rising now) and so never could get a full pension. You can take a variable lump sum and a pension reduction.
    June challenge £100 a day £3161.63 plus £350 vouchers plus £108.37 food/shopping saving

July challenge £50 a day. £ 1682.50/1550

October challenge £100 a day. £385/£3100
  • ukjoel
    ukjoel Posts: 1,468
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Not sure where they quote the average as 26k.

My friends are mid 30s and 3 are teachers and all three are over 35k. One who just done her dep head and its closer to 45k.

Take on point about time out for kids but also need to take on board all the holidays.
  • pleasedelete
    pleasedelete Posts: 2,286
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 29 June 2011 at 8:57PM
    ukjoel wrote: »

My friends are mid 30s and 3 are teachers and all three are over 35k. One who just done her dep head and its closer to 45k.

15 per cent of primary teachers earnt more than £34,500 k when the last fivures were published and 25 per cent of secondary.

The 26k may be average overall including independent. i know that I was surprised when it was published- excludes those on the leadership scale which is different. The top of the main scale outside London is £31,500.
    It is published each year- the teaching profession is getting younger as itvwas heavily weighted to those closer to retirement and so this impacts average salaries. primary earn much less than secondary. Including All teachers / leadership,it was about £31,500 ish - a couple of years ago.

There is also a massive north south divide.

Average for a primary HT is mid 50 s.
    June challenge £100 a day £3161.63 plus £350 vouchers plus £108.37 food/shopping saving

July challenge £50 a day. £ 1682.50/1550

October challenge £100 a day. £385/£3100
  • trumpton
    trumpton Posts: 1,070 Forumite
    Glasgow want to pay teachers £10,700 in their last year of study, and £10,700 in their first year of teaching. Who would want to work in a Glasgow secondary school for £10k a year?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-13704176
  • geordieracer
    geordieracer Posts: 2,637 Forumite
    ukjoel wrote: »

Noone mentioned 26K in this thread.

the point the OP was getting at was the direct figures that the NUT had quoted for a teacher receiving a pension if they had done their time.
    one of the famous 5:kiss:
  • hcb42
    hcb42 Posts: 5,962 Forumite
    £10K sounds brilliant to me! Especially for an average, a lot of people might teach for a few years, then never go back to it, but still get a pension, have a few friends like that.
  • paddedjohn
    paddedjohn Posts: 7,512
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Noone mentioned 26K in this thread.

the point the OP was getting at was the direct figures that the NUT had quoted for a teacher receiving a pension if they had done their time.

read post#3;)
    Be Alert..........Britain needs lerts.
  • paddedjohn
    paddedjohn Posts: 7,512
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    trumpton wrote: »
    glasgow want to pay teachers £10,700 in their last year of study, and £10,700 in their first year of teaching. Who would want to work in a glasgow secondary school for £10k a year?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-13704176

sounds like a good wage, they will still be learning for those two years and be paid whilst they do
    Be Alert..........Britain needs lerts.
  • Storck
    Storck Posts: 1,890
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    15 per cent of primary teachers earnt more than £34,500 k when the last fivures were published and 25 per cent of secondary.

The 26k may be average overall including independent. i know that I was surprised when it was published- excludes those on the leadership scale which is different. The top of the main scale outside London is £31,500.
    It is published each year- the teaching profession is getting younger as itvwas heavily weighted to those closer to retirement and so this impacts average salaries. primary earn much less than secondary. Including All teachers / leadership,it was about £31,500 ish - a couple of years ago.

There is also a massive north south divide.

Average for a primary HT is mid 50 s.

The problem with removing those on the leadership scale is that there are now so many teachers on that scale.

A couple of years ago my mum retired as a deputy head, at that point there was a head and one deputy. The same school now has a head, two deputies and two assistant heads. Big change in such a small school and small time.
    If you find you are drinking too much give this number a call. 0845 769 7555
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure