How long does it take to open a Nationwide current account?

I'm about to travel to the US on business and I don't want to convert sterling into dollars unless I need to as I won't be recompensed for any loss through commission or exchange rates.

Opening a Nationwide current account purely for this trip and loading it up with sterling before I go seems to be the cheapest way to get dollars as and when I need them whilst I am over there (unless anyone knows better).

The problem is that I fly on the 2nd of June (9 business days!). Do you think there is anyway of getting the account opened and receiving the debit card before I fly? If not, does anyone have any advice about how to lose as little of my cash as possible?

All advice welcome!

Kat

Comments

• Ericson_2
    Ericson_2 Posts: 46 Forumite
    I was reading in the Daily Express during the week of pre - paid travel cards which they report are becoming more popular, the article recomends the itravel card as the cheapest to use. £3 to load money and 85p for each withdrawal although a search didn't come up with that card. below are links which explain what these cards do and Monysupermarket does a comparison, Maybe other people on site have used these cards I dont know, but I also would be interested to hear if they have because being a cash only type of person would like to use one when I go on holiday at the end of June

Hope this is of some use:undecided :rolleyes:

http://home3.americanexpress.com/corp/uk/2005/tc_card.asp

http://www.moneysupermarket.com/default.asp?p=0
    I used to be confused, now I just don't understand ;) :rotfl:
  • paddytt
    paddytt Posts: 298 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Just opened a Nationwide Current account. It took quite a few weeks, I would say that if you are leaving in 9 days you won't be in time.

TT
  • mummytwinton
    mummytwinton Posts: 143 Forumite
    it's just taken us 2 weeks to get as far as our cash cards coming though sorry, we have done it for the same reason free to get & use for cash overseas
  • Ericson_2
    Ericson_2 Posts: 46 Forumite
    Seems these travel cards are not so great after all,(thanks Grumbler) upon checking Nationwide do not charge for using FlexAccount either abroad which is the one I use, guess who I'm going to stick with. maybe you could chivvey them up KatrinaC at your local branch might get it through quicker. as I remember because its a straight forward cash account with no checks my Flexi was up and running in a week
    I used to be confused, now I just don't understand ;) :rotfl:
  • KatrinaC_2
    KatrinaC_2 Posts: 532 Forumite
    Thanks everyone!

As dollars are relatively easy to order I've decided to open the account, but if the cards don't arrive on time then I won't be stuck for changing money. I'm going abroad later on in the year too so the account will come in handy for then anyway.

Kat
  • KTF
    KTF Posts: 4,820 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    If you go into the branch today then you might get away with it. I had the cards in my hand within 10 working days of me opening mine.

you have to go to the branch with ID, etc but they can open it there and then (unlike the Internet option).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure