What type of jobs should I look for

I'm 36 and worked in customer service roles since I graduated. I worked in call centres - both inbound and outbound and face 2 face. My current job is in retail which I am in a love/hate feeling for it. Like my colleagues and some customers. Hate being in the shop when its dead, some tasks and some customers.

I am able to use computers including MS Office, can work in teams and alone. Done some admin work with my jobs.

Though with references, I am fine with the first one - my current employer. 2nd one will be tricky as the previous employers no longer exist. Only one that is still here is one I worked when I was 23 and I am a different person to now. Then the professional referee I used, died 18 months ago. I cannot think of anyone else who will do one for me.

Comments

• z1a
    z1a Posts: 2,522
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    GP/Dentist receptionist?
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    The suggestion by z1a might well be a good one, my sister moved from shop work to be a GP receptionist and seems to be a lot happier (although I think it may depend on how well the practice is run).

For the reference, if you don't have a second employer who can give one then is there someone at your current employer, or somewhere else in your life, who would be prepared to provide a personal reference?
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Forumite
    are you going to ignore this thread like you did the last one.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5621384

The sorts of jobs you have been doing you need to be looking at getting into supervision/management positions if you want to get anywhere you have abandoned that option.

Where do your interests and skills lie what can you bring to the table to help someone want to employ you?
  • xapprenticex
    xapprenticex Posts: 1,760 Forumite
    Is there any particular reason why you have not really done much since graduating? Unless it was aromatherapy or something like that.

You really didnt have to go to uni to do what you are doing now so thats a debt for nothing.

Im not being mean, im being realistic about the current situation.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    Is there any particular reason why you have not really done much since graduating? Unless it was aromatherapy or something like that.

You really didnt have to go to uni to do what you are doing now so thats a debt for nothing.

Im not being mean, im being realistic about the current situation.

It started well, then, I got made redundant in 2007, split up with my ex, moved back with my parents, 100 miles away. Got a job back there after 3 months unemployed. There were 12 of us started together and 3 mucked up stuff, I wasn't one of these. Employer couldn't be bothered doing the investigation at all and dismissed all 12 of us. This is now 2008 when the job market has been tough and I took any job - temping for 7 months from assignments varying from a day to 4 weeks with probably 6 weeks in those 7 months with no work (2 weeks I was on holiday). Then I have been in my current job ever since. Been to a few interviews, during days off and annual leave, but scared to take time off work unpaid to go to interviews. Then various illnesses have stopped me from leaving my job. As I get full pay. Whereas, if I change jobs and off sick first 6 months (or a year for some employers) SSP and have a mortgage.

What is stopping me from progressing into new jobs is the situation with the job I was wrongfully dismissed - employed there for 6-7 months.

I'm worried how do I approach why I left that job if asked in an interview
  • Masomnia
    Masomnia Posts: 19,506
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I'm worried how do I approach why I left that job if asked in an interview

Honestly, I would suggest. It's not unusual for people to just not be a good fit for the organisation and/or it not be the right role for them and to be let go after 6 months.

So I would say you got to the end of your probation and your employer decided not to make you permanent, it wasn't the right role for you but you gained x y z experience.... etc and moved into something more suitable. Or something like that.

Don't sweat it.
    “I could see that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled.” - P.G. Wodehouse
  • comeandgo
    comeandgo Posts: 5,731
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    If I remember correctly you work for Sainsbury's. Is there nothing you can progress to with them? A change to back office or train for management? Could you study for Nebosh and go into health and safety?
  • System
    Community Admin
    comeandgo wrote: »
    If I remember correctly you work for Sainsbury's. Is there nothing you can progress to with them? A change to back office or train for management? Could you study for Nebosh and go into health and safety?

Not Sainsburys. A retailer similar to Wilko and pound shops. So we sell lots of toiletries, cleaning products plus things such as small kitchen appliances and seasonal items. So at the moment -
    gardening, outdoor eating and travel items such as suitcases. There are only 30 shops in the country. No chance in progression here.

I know a couple of people that work for Sainsburys and the pay between general assistant to team leader isn't that great and you work harder, deal with aggressive customers etc. They heard several people that were TLs back to assts as it was too demanding for such little pay - think I heard the figure 60p ph more. Not everyone is progression material,
  • ERICS_MUM
    ERICS_MUM Posts: 3,579
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Which degree did you do ? Did you have a career path in mind when you chose the subject and what skills, expertise etc have you got from the degree ? I suggest you base your job search on this.
  • System
    Community Admin
    Never had a career path, but jobs I didn't want to do - medical, teaching, armed forces etc.

My degree is in business as I was interested in this. I love criminology, but I feel you need qualifications and time to do this.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure