HELP - Who is the cheapest courier - from China to UK ?

Hi

I am purchasing an item from China and the cost is 1356 USD

It gives me an option of which courier i want (no price comes up)

Fedex, UPS, amd DHL

Who should i select to avoid massive import duty ??

Cheers

Comments

• agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Nobody should be advising you how to evade tax. If you don't want to pay the import duty, don't buy the item.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,551 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Use Fedex, they messed my delivery up so badly they wrote off my invoices.

2 packages in the delivery. 1st delivery one empty box (sneakily concealed by the driver) and he vanished quickly without asking for a signature. Other item was in Memphis (visiting graceland)?
    2nd delivery the item must have had gone to some rough parties in Memphis because it arrived battered and bruised. It works but a few marks and scuffs.
    Invoice arrives for the full VAT and handling.
    3rd Delivery arrives (seller resent the item missing from delivery 1). He declared the value at less than half what i paid.

I was expecting charges so he really shouldnt have. Even with the charges it was very cheap.

2nd invoice arrives. I phone to complain and they write them both off.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• paddyrg
    paddyrg Posts: 13,543 Forumite
    If you're importing $1350 of goods there is almost certainly duty and VAT to pay, and any reputable courier is going to do so and charge it back to you (or charge you in advance). You could try claiming the item value is $5, but that'll backfire horribly if you need to claim on insurance.

Just accept the reason the goods are cheaper than UK is because tax is due, and expect to pay it.
  • EdwardB
    EdwardB Posts: 462 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I would be really reluctant to spend more than the £18 on ANYTHING from China

Even then if they suspect you are conning they can hit you for a charge because they examine it and are not sure.

China has virtually no quality control other than you calling and saying "it does not work", China does not give a damn about forgeries (even of it's own brands) and China does not give a damn about it's own reputation.

The fact that China lets people manufacture fake memory products (USB, SD etc) that purport to be 64gb but are 8gb or even lie by saying they have a 2tb USB stick, tells you all you need to know. These are deliberately designed to deceive.

Same as the fake Batteries of every descrription they allow to be manufactured and sold, the irony is we send batteries to China to be recycled, we did NOT mean we want them to be repackaged and sold back to us, only to end up in land fill or recycling again (along with sand and flour).

The amount you are spending is a small fortune, if I were spending that much and if the product was bona fide, I would go over there to get it.
    Please be nice to all MoneySavers. That’s the forum motto. Remember, the prime aim is to help provide info and resources. If you don’t like someone, their situation, their question or feel they’re intruding on ‘your board’ then please bite the bullet and think of the bigger issue. :cool::)
  • paddyrg
    Going to collect isn't a bad idea - it helps keep people honest and it's hard to overstimate the value of a personal relationship in favourable pricing!
  • Sicard
    Sicard Posts: 851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    EdwardB wrote: »
    I would be really reluctant to spend more than the £18 on ANYTHING from China

Even then if they suspect you are conning they can hit you for a charge because they examine it and are not sure.

China has virtually no quality control other than you calling and saying "it does not work", China does not give a damn about forgeries (even of it's own brands) and China does not give a damn about it's own reputation.

The fact that China lets people manufacture fake memory products (USB, SD etc) that purport to be 64gb but are 8gb or even lie by saying they have a 2tb USB stick, tells you all you need to know. These are deliberately designed to deceive.

Same as the fake Batteries of every descrription they allow to be manufactured and sold, the irony is we send batteries to China to be recycled, we did NOT mean we want them to be repackaged and sold back to us, only to end up in land fill or recycling again (along with sand and flour).

The amount you are spending is a small fortune, if I were spending that much and if the product was bona fide, I would go over there to get it.

I agree, but wouldn't even spend £18 on anything from China.
    You know what uranium is, right? It's this thing called nuclear weapons. And other things. Like lots of things are done with uranium. Including some bad things.
    Donald Trump, Press Conference, February 16, 2017

• custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Use Fedex, they messed my delivery up so badly they wrote off my invoices.

2 packages in the delivery. 1st delivery one empty box (sneakily concealed by the driver) and he vanished quickly without asking for a signature. Other item was in Memphis (visiting graceland)?
    2nd delivery the item must have had gone to some rough parties in Memphis because it arrived battered and bruised. It works but a few marks and scuffs.
    Invoice arrives for the full VAT and handling.
    3rd Delivery arrives (seller resent the item missing from delivery 1). He declared the value at less than half what i paid.

I was expecting charges so he really shouldnt have. Even with the charges it was very cheap.

2nd invoice arrives. I phone to complain and they write them both off.

person recommends courier due to their terrible service........
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    stylus360 wrote: »
    Hi

I am purchasing an item from China and the cost is 1356 USD

It gives me an option of which courier i want (no price comes up)

Fedex, UPS, amd DHL

Who should i select to avoid massive import duty ??

Cheers

None of them. Every one of them will ask for import duty unless the seller lies on the customs declaration and declares it as a £18 including postage item.

Are you sure that there is actually import duty to pay? Many items are zero rated or only a couple of percent.
  • paddyrg
    Tarambor wrote: »
    None of them. Every one of them will ask for import duty unless the seller lies on the customs declaration and declares it as a £18 including postage item.

Are you sure that there is actually import duty to pay? Many items are zero rated or only a couple of percent.

Almost certainly VAT@20% to pay, though
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport