Virgin Media retention deals (post your haggling successes)

Options

Comments

• donnajunkie
    donnajunkie Posts: 32,412 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    we get phone and broadband combined and were getting upto 20mb speed and paying over £40 per month. i saw on their website phone with 50mb broadband is £40 per month. so i phoned them and was put on that deal or so i thought. in the email confirming the deal the price is not £40 as she agreed and as the website quotes, it is £42.25. i phoned again to query this and they just claimed they could not do anything.
  • dildeep
    dildeep Posts: 60 Forumite
    Options
    we get phone and broadband combined and were getting upto 20mb speed and paying over £40 per month. i saw on their website phone with 50mb broadband is £40 per month. so i phoned them and was put on that deal or so i thought. in the email confirming the deal the price is not £40 as she agreed and as the website quotes, it is £42.25. i phoned again to query this and they just claimed they could not do anything.

That is shocking. I only paid £30 a month for weekend calls and 150mb including line rental.
  • dildeep
    Options
    Like Sandy I called to cancel last week and was given the same information: all services to be cancelled in 31 days except the phone line. I was told if I cancelled the line I'd lose my number. Does anyone know if retentions will call a customer who has retained their line as in effect Virgin will still be getting paid by me, albeit just the basic line rental.

I need to know this also. I kept my line too. Hope they call.

Usually retentions have never mentioned this in the past.
  • donnajunkie
    donnajunkie Posts: 32,412 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Are the prices on their website correct or are they the prices previous to the recent price increase? What is the correct price for a phone broadband bundle where the broadband is 50mb? Is it £40 or £42.25? Haggling a deal is one thing but potentially being over charged is the ultimate annoyance.
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I don't think you loose your number until 1 year is up. That is what I was told by VM.

I left them for 3 months and got my number back (I requested it when I ordered)
  • capomeister
    Options
    AndyPK wrote: »
    I don't think you loose your number until 1 year is up. That is what I was told by VM.

I left them for 3 months and got my number back (I requested it when I ordered)

I spoke to someone at Virgin today and they told me that a number is kept for 7-10 days after a customer cancels, and then it is sent back to BT.
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Mine was originally a vm number.

Maybe yours is a bt number. Or they don't want u to leave
  • capomeister
    Options
    AndyPK wrote: »
    Mine was originally a vm number.

Maybe yours is a bt number. Or they don't want u to leave

Yes mine was originally BT and of course they don't want me to leave.
  • latecomer
    latecomer Posts: 4,321 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Are the prices on their website correct or are they the prices previous to the recent price increase? What is the correct price for a phone broadband bundle where the broadband is 50mb? Is it £40 or £42.25? Haggling a deal is one thing but potentially being over charged is the ultimate annoyance.

Best thing to do is to phone up and say you want to cancel as the deal you are on is not what you agreed to - you have a 14 day period to change your mind. Then you should get a call back from the retentions team who are able to give much better deals. 40 for just phone and basic broadband seems a lot.

To give you an idea of what we normally pay it has been £30 per month including line rental for approx 3 years now:
    50Mb broadband (basic)
    Tv M (basic)
    phone XL

This year I've got the same for £14 per month but I'm still sceptical about this as it just seems too good to be true. Its been verbally confirmed but I'm waiting to see the first bill.
  • dildeep
    Options
    erghh i stupidly said i wanted to keep my number so the lines still open

Doubt outbound retentions are going to call now :(
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business