what are the best value dating sites?

Options

Comments

• SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    FatVonD wrote: »
    I met my lovely DH online but boy, do you have to kiss a lot of frogs!

The best advice I think is to trust your instincts and only ever meet for lunch for the first date (then you can make your excuses after an hour and you've not wasted precious babysitting favours.) Some of my non starters were:

Even better if you arrange the lunch in your local Supermarket cafe.
    That way if he doesn't turn up at least you can do your shopping.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I've given up on looking! (only 3 months into being single!).
  • becky170
    becky170 Posts: 857 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Has anyone tried speed dating? I'm thinking about giving it a go, but I'm just worried about what to say to break the ice when you only have 3 minutes to make an impression!
    Mortgage-free wannabe #66 £105/4000
  • SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Speed Dating ?
    Is that when you have a date but within 3 minute she goes the loo and tries to climb out of the window to get away.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • Ladyhawk
    Ladyhawk Posts: 2,064 Forumite
    Options
    becky170 wrote: »
    Has anyone tried speed dating? I'm thinking about giving it a go, but I'm just worried about what to say to break the ice when you only have 3 minutes to make an impression!

I've done this a couple of times. I found it easiest to say something along the lines of:

"so tell me something interesting"
    "what's one thing that you can tell me that no one else knows about you" "Have you had a good evening so far?"
    "Where was your last holiday?"
    "What would win in a fight - a badger or a bear?"
    "What do you do to keep yourself out of mischief?"

Good luck and remember that they are as scared of you as you are of them.
    Man plans and God laughs...
    Perhaps travel cannot prevent bigotry. But by demonstrating that all people cry, laugh, eat, worry and die, it introduces the idea that if we try to understand each other, we may even become friends.
  • RichGold
    RichGold Posts: 1,244 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Has anyone tried speed dating?
    Dating on Amphetamines? You could spend the evening seeing who could talk rubbish for the longest :)
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • Ladyhawk
    Ladyhawk Posts: 2,064 Forumite
    Options
    RichGold wrote: »
    Dating on Amphetamines? You could spend the evening seeing who could talk rubbish for the longest :)

That sounds preferable to the way I did it!!:)
    Man plans and God laughs...
    Perhaps travel cannot prevent bigotry. But by demonstrating that all people cry, laugh, eat, worry and die, it introduces the idea that if we try to understand each other, we may even become friends.
  • There_Goes_Trouble
    Options

Yes, I tried it.

Hated it.

I looked around the room and none of the men I could see were in the least bit attractive (maybe I'm just fussy/a snob?), and I had the same conversation 15 times over. It was so boring, I'll never do that again!
  • MrsE_2
    MrsE_2 Posts: 24,162 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    noody123 wrote: »
    Realistically you have as much chance of meeting a lier/not nice person out as you are on a dating site. I did try the dating site match.com years ago, got lots of emails form really old men a few decent seeming blokes but they lived 100's of miles away. Now I don't have the spare finances to go out clubbing etc or use the pay for the charging dating sites. I recently signed up for a free dating site oasis. The only thing that makes me weary about on line dating is i have seen a couple of men i know who are married on these sites (paid and free ones) stating they are single, but again they could do that in a club or when out.
    For those of us who can't afford to go out clubbing and have restrictions on what we could do to meet new people ie Children and work commitments on line dating seems a really good option.
    modern life no longer caters for community and meeting new people unless you go out clubbing.

I became single in May, my family/friends keep on about internet dating as the way people meet now a days:eek:
    I'm a bit dubious, think it would be full of freaks & married men & goers.
    But where do you met a man in his 40s?
    My work is very female (not sure dating at work would be appropriate anyway), I don't want a man who spends all his time in pubs & I certainly don't want a man in his 40s who goes clubbing & on the pull:eek::eek::eek::eek:
    Anyway, I'm not too worried at the moment, I've not found it a problem in the past (;)) but its food for thought......
  • JennyP
    JennyP Posts: 1,067 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ladyhawk wrote: »
    I've mainly used Match on and off for about 8 years and have met some really lovely men through it... however I have not had a relationship with any of them. so I have given up with online dating, despite a number of my friends marrying people on line.

OP when you work out where all the single men are hiding then please let us know?? I have tried all sorts of things - travelling, walking groups, photography courses, singles parties, IVC, Meetup, taking up new sports, always saying yes to parties and nights out (even if I don't want to go). And nothing - they all seem to be populated by women like me!

I'm always told that I am fun, attractive, interesting... but am still single!

Hurray for Ladyhawk!!! Thank you for posting that.

I've been doing internet dating on and off for 7 years and was beginning to think, "What's wrong with me?" Nice to know there's someone else out there.

I've tried Match.com (met the guy who is now my best friend and who I live with but it's not a romantic thing), Dating Direct, Guardian Soulmates, Times Encounters, Eharmony and Parsnip. Sorry Parship.

Only Match.com really worked in terms with putting me in touch with men I might have a relationship with but I've been on it again for the last couple of weeks and I haven't met anyone!

I wish there was an honest and ethical internet site. One where you had to be a member to check out who else is there but where they tell you how many members in your area there are in your age range. At the moment, you pay up for Match or whatever, and send emails to people and there seem loads of people in your area but many are just on the free membership so they can't reply to emails and aren't serious contenders.

The Christian dating websites are like that too - it seems very deceitful!

I quite fancied starting a dating website that would function along those lines. A not-for profit type thing - the way Intervarsity Club is kind of a not for profit version of Spice. I just don't know how to go about setting it up though my friend runs a speeddating site so I could ask him. I've ended up starting a singles blog instead. Not the same I know but I was hoping people would contact me through that instead and it might gain impetus! PM me if you're interested in reading it.

I met 8 amazing single women at an event this weekend, between about 30 and 60. All were attractive, successful and interesting to talk to! Shame there weren't 8 single men there as well. I wonder where they go....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure