This Time I'm Really Going To Do It

Comments

• hiddenshadow
    hiddenshadow Posts: 2,525 Forumite
    Watty1 wrote: »
    I am hoping eventually dog will not chase her as he will learn. This might be not work but worth a try. All ideas welcomed.

With greyhounds, the advice seems to be to keep dog on lead, let cat explore the room, and spend the session (5min to start, then 10, etc) having the dog focus on you and always reward that. I think the advice is to call dog's name and have them look at you and immediately reward with treat. Then if dog gets distracted again, rinse and repeat, so dog associates time with cat around as "must focus on person, get treats!" and cat becomes irrelevant.

Then you can increase the lead (we've got quite a long leash but a lunge line would work as well) as the dog gets better behaved, then have dog + cat loose, etc.

I don't think it's guaranteed to work (some dogs will always want to chase and not be distracted by food, and/or the lesson won't carry over once everyone's just hanging out), but it's meant to help anyway.
  • Watty1
    Watty1 Posts: 4,888 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Brillant advice. Thank you Hidden. Will step up the treats.
    Made it to mortgage free but what a muddle that became

In the event the proverbial hits the fan then co-habitees are better stashing their cash than being mortgage free !!
  • Watty1
    Did the horse eat them...?
    No sign of gloves. Trying to decide if it is worth buying more or taking show gloves out of box and using those as unlikely to be doing much this year given way I feel.

In the event the proverbial hits the fan then co-habitees are better stashing their cash than being mortgage free !!
  • Watty1
    on a brighter note, just made an overpayment and checked amount in Isa and updated spreadsheet. Will update signature when shows online which might take a few days, but, taking into account everything am just £12,946 away from my easter target. (That would be neutral rather than free from mortgage) Anymore overpayments this month will be just shifting money from savings to mortgage but still happy with this.

• apple_muncher
    apple_muncher Posts: 14,701 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! First Post Name Dropper
    That is pretty amazing! Well done!:T:T:T
    NST March lion #8; NSD ; MFW9/3/23 Whoop Whoop!!!
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,670 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    That's amazing, Watty! :D x
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • hiddenshadow
    hiddenshadow Posts: 2,525 Forumite
    Well done, Watty! :)
  • Watty1
    Thanks. One thing I have noticed is that although I have been really down moodwise I did not sink into mindless spending. I bought one skirt for £5 and that was it. somehow after all the years I have been here a shift has occurred even in the rough times.

• Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    It's lifechanging, isn't it - I really like that.

I was just reading back about the flowers too ... oh my word, £600! That's an awful lot of money, and I love the idea of finding mse ways to do things. Don't know your circumstances, but what about growing flowers in the front garden to use in the house? Can't use the front to grow food, usually, because of pollution from cars, but flowers are a different matter?

And I saw someone with bunches of forsythia in vases the other day, that was rally beautiful too. Has to be pruned, after all, doesn't it :)
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Hi Watty, would you believe I've read all 130 pages of your lovely thread over the past few days? It's been so entertaining and so useful. I'm so glad that you have kept posting. I've got a lot of inspiration from the fact that you're so focused on the overall picture of being, not just mortgage-free, but set up so you can scale back the work. It's inspired me to create a spreadsheet which (I hope - not very good at spreadsheets) will project all our future goals and flag the peaks and troughs of spending so I can see what we'll need when in order to get to the end.

Kitty sounds just lovely, how nice that she's become a house kitten! I have two cats, and free-range chickens, and I'm about to dog-sit a friend's pooch for a few days - hiddenshadow's post was very useful, thank you!

Anyway, consider another person out there cheering for you!
    MFW diary here. 1 Feb 2017 $229,371 - MFD Feb 2043 :eek: aiming for May 2028
    14 August 2017 - Refinanced: $220,000
    January 2019 $211,580 Current MFD 31 June 2036
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport