Comments

• try_harder
    try_harder Posts: 1,527 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Me too after 211 days apparently .It seems very odd to me
  • EatingTheElephant
    Options
    Yep me too! Very weird. They must be making us all change our passwords.
  • Suffolk_lass
    Options
    Mine expired after 23 days - on what planet is eight years 23 days I wonder?
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 25.04% spent or £754.10/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Me too, fair enough if they are trying to tighten things up, but as Z has said on his thread, the page wasn't encrypted :doh:. Oh well, I only use the new password on here and I think Mr Money Mustache so if anyone wants to log in and pose as me they're welcome :rotfl:.
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    So they're definitely updating their software ... it was a lot more faff than a password change on other sites, I have to say, plus, erm, I had to do it again this morning ... saving a new password is very important, dontcha know :o:D

In fact, I'm not sure I've done it properly even now. Better go back and check before I log off ....

I'm sort of awake now (though obvs not totally, making such a hash of the password!) been a bit distracted - was supposed to be trekking up to West London today to see the nephew with two little kids, but there's chicken pox, and with my immune system and my past visitations with shingles, not going there. So I've hunted out a plan for something else at short notice, a local little tourist town I've been to a fair bit is somewhere my sister's never visited, so that will be lovely.

Got to see a few more peeps on here first though :) :kisses3:
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • smallholdingsister
    Options
    Same thing happened with my login.
  • ZTD
    ZTD Posts: 24,327 Forumite
    Options
    gallygirl wrote: »
    Me too, fair enough if they are trying to tighten things up, but as Z has said on his thread, the page wasn't encrypted :doh:. Oh well, I only use the new password on here and I think Mr Money Mustache so if anyone wants to log in and pose as me they're welcome :rotfl:.

Well not only is it not encrypted when you put your password in, you're authenticated for long periods of time with a static cookie - which is also not encrypted. A simple sniffer on a public wifi suffices at this point.

This is all not rocket science - it's not even lettuce science.
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "We were born and raised in a summer haze." Adele 'Someone like you.'
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    ZTD wrote: »
    Well not only is it not encrypted when you put your password in, you're authenticated for long periods of time with a static cookie - which is also not encrypted. A simple sniffer on a public wifi suffices at this point.

This is all not rocket science - it's not even lettuce science.
    Em..... why does this matter?

Asking for a friend obviously :D.
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
  • smallholdingsister
    Options
    Are you allergic to the nickel in the fasteners? Painting the with clear nail varnish can help.
  • ZTD
    ZTD Posts: 24,327 Forumite
    Options
    gallygirl wrote: »
    Em..... why does this matter?

Asking for a friend obviously :D.

Every request you send is in plain text, and will include a "Cookie" header (this is an example Cookie header, but if you explore your own cookies in your browser, you'll see actual ones).

Cookie: PHPSESSID=298zf09hf012fh2; csrftoken=u32t4o3tb3gg43; _gat=1;

If I were to copy that (and since it's unencrypted and less confidential than a postcard - it's easy), and send it on *my* requests - I'd become you. I wouldn't need to "catch" you typing a password, I'd only need you to use MSE - every request you make has it.
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "We were born and raised in a summer haze." Adele 'Someone like you.'
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure