Want braces but can’t afford them

Hey all as the title says I want braces but there’s no chance I’d be able to get them. From reading the NHS they say it could be between two thousand and six thousand pounds depending on the severity of treatment, and it’s annoying me because my dentist keeps saying I’m suffering with severer overcrowding but I’m not able to work at the moment due to disability’s so is there anyway the NHS can help as I’m not able to afford private treatment

Comments

• brook2jack
    brook2jack Posts: 4,563 Forumite
    In a word no.

The NHS will fund a very small amount of adult braces but only in cases where the problem is so severe that it is needed in conjunction with jaw surgery.

Most/all areas will require very severe problems even before they will accept a referral for an opinion on treatment.

It is even getting more difficult to refer children for braces and areas of the U.K. have been looking at stopping even that.
  • Coldste
    Coldste Posts: 15 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    brook2jack wrote: »
    In a word no.

The NHS will fund a very small amount of adult braces but only in cases where the problem is so severe that it is needed in conjunction with jaw surgery.

Most/all areas will require very severe problems even before they will accept a referral for an opinion on treatment.

It is even getting more difficult to refer children for braces and areas of the U.K. have been looking at stopping even that.

Cheers really annoying being on the sick oh well I guess I’ll just have to try and save a bit every month then hopefully in about 6 years I’ll be able to afford it
  • IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    Some services will offer finance so you can pay by instalments. Obviously you'd need to be sure you could manage the repayments before doing this.
  • Coldste
    Coldste Posts: 15 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    IAmWales wrote: »
    Some services will offer finance so you can pay by instalments. Obviously you'd need to be sure you could manage the repayments before doing this.

Thought about it but looking at some of the finance options different places have is no good as the second cheapest they have is a £2000, and I’d have to pay back £137.74 over 24 months and I highly doubt I’d be able to get braces for that. And the most expensive is £5000, paying back £160 over 36 months and I wouldn't be able to live on £90 for 2 weeks
  • I'm a child of the late 60s early 70s. In Canada prior to the early 80s there was no dental insurance and unless your parents were loaded with $$ you didn't get braces.

My overcrowding problem was solved by removing a couple of adult teeth to provide space to relieve the crowding. My teeth look fine.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Crooked teeth do not endanger health though some people, well known in the media ,for scrounging, would convince some gullible doctor otherwise, so should not be paid for by the NHS no matter what your circumstances.

As I child I was diagnosed as needing them, with dentist saying come back in N years. He retired and when I went back as suggested (regular checkups not being common then) only to be told that at 18 it was too late.

Because of this I still have crooked teeth,but have reached 68 without any harm from them.
  • I looked into this recently myself - it would be purely cosmetic as it's not classed as a medical issue really. No way around paying.
  • dawnydee73
    dawnydee73 Posts: 1,564 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    I'm getting braces very soon and have just paid for them, there was finance options at the orthodontics, could pay in a year interest free but it was a lot to pay monthly or could pay over 3 years with interest.

I got a 30 month interest free credit card and paid up front and have set up mine own direct debit to pay this off monthly, more affordable than the yearly option and I dont like to pay interest on anything
  • suejb2
    suejb2 Posts: 1,918 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    If you're keen on getting them,0% credit card. Only you know your finances and the need /desire for braces.
    Life is like a bath, the longer you are in it the more wrinkly you become.
  • Just an idea ..........are you located anywhere near an airport where you can get cheapo flights to err Poland or somewhere similar.

You might find it handy if you can get an OPG on an optical disk so that it can be emailed save a trip for the initial consultation
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure